Congratulations President Trump

Jason

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

He fucked up when he made an exemption for Syrian Christians.  That made it discriminatory based on religion & therefore unconstitutional.

His continuing Twitter meltdown is entertaining, though. 

Because only the Christians being executed matter?  Fuck him and his whole phony agenda.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:09 AM, T-Dub said:

That was a moving semi-rant but I'm not too sure what point he was making?

It was originally a comment on another post at NC. Sometimes the moderators there will give an interesting comment some digital real estate of its own. Anyhow, he was blowing off steam in a fairly smart way. The question to ponder, imo, is this: Just how did we get here? This didn't happen overnight; it's the result of 40 years of policies intended to change the economic landscape from one of shared aggregate growth in our society to one in which cannibalized looting of our population (after and while continuing to loot large parts of the rest of the world) is deemed acceptable. It's bi-partisan, too. NAFTA was an important inflection in this process, despite what some neoliberal economists would have us believe.

Is it any wonder that millions of people who have been deliberately squeezed out of any semblance of prosperity decided to kick over the apple cart? Despair and anger is a large part of why Trump was elected. But he didn't create the despair or anger. He just found a way to harness it.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:42 PM, MichaelWeston said:

You are ignoring the point of these types of trade deals. Sure there are some problems. But the argument is that for growth we can also look outside of the US. That doesn't mean that every single industry will consistently make it. It doesn't mean that people won't be hurt. It just means that smart people think these trade deals are good things. Acting like they are some completely terrible thing isn't fair. 

Lol. I may have been missing the point in 1982, too, when Lopez Portillo spoke at the UN. I may have been too busy singing "La Cucaracha" with some Mexican colleagues at a conference in NYC.

Well, on the list of unfair things that have happened over the last four decades, I'm gonna guess that poking fun at enabling economists who flack for neoliberal horsepoop is pretty far down the list.

But, as they say, if in for a dime, then in for a dollar, so: Fuck David Ricardo, too.

1 hour ago, Homer_Rice said:

NAFTA was an important inflection in this process,

Have you read Murder City  (or any of Charles Bowden's other stuff)? Bitter to the point of caustic, and sadder than a lost dog, but worth reading.  On some level, the cartels and government are the same thing.  Where did El Chapo's stacks go? Let that pay for the wall.. Woohoo! Stone age technology! What a joke. Fort Huachuca is a prime SIGINT center for the Army & is maybe 30 miles from the border. A physical concrete wall is an anachronism. That 20% xenophobia tax sure got people's attention, though, so that was kind of nice.

I hear you that Trump is only taking advantage of, well, most everything. Most of which is not of his own creation, one way or another, but so what. Let him be a miserable, hateful human being on his own time.  He works for all of us now, salary or not. I don't know that the President should retain the right to spout hysterical, fear-mongering nonsense via Twitter. The cynical view would be preferable, in that I hoped he was only trolling for a constituency and would at least act like a rational adult in office.  He's not because he isn't.  I still see impeachment as a real possibility, like I said about both candidates before the election. 

So we can talk about economics; I don't much subscribe to the liberal/conservative dichotomy to begin with & prefacing it with neo- doesn't change that.  Those labels don't seem very accurate even in purely economic terms. There have been populist demagogues in all sort of systems so I think he's taking advantage of more than just an up & down economy. We're one of the wealthiest countries in the world but are so damned spoiled and apathetic that if we can't afford the newest iPhones we think we're poor. What's worse, we blame the truly poor, hungry, homeless, for our lack of gold-plated shark tank. We begrudge them even a pittance our taxes provide them. And vote for Trump. 

Anyway before this turns into just another rant, I'll say again that the bigotry, the religious extremism, run deeper than economics.  Well-fed, comfortable people find plenty of room for hate.  The middle class is sitting on the couch complaining about "jobless protesters" & "sore losers" like they're benefiting from all this. I read about a guy released from holding at Dulles after having his Green Card confiscated. Says he was handcuffed for 17 hours. Hey why not water-board him a little while he's there? Gotta be safe.

"..the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires."  -Ronald Wright

"Donald Trump is like what a hobo imagines a rich man to be." -John Mulaney

Just now, oldschooler said:

They don't say that when the use the same book in the Old Testament to hate on gays because God said so ...

Oh certainly. It's easy to cherry-pick. But that's what I've been told.

Better off asking them WTF is going on in Ezekiel 23.  

tumblr_n4li1eubom1tufblio1_500.gif

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Oh certainly. It's easy to cherry-pick. But that's what I've been told.

Better off asking them WTF is going on in Ezekiel 23.  

tumblr_n4li1eubom1tufblio1_500.gif

:lol:

He's actually referring to Samaria and  Jerusalem and comparing idolatry to adultery. 

But yes, he gets way too graphic and seems to enjoy it too much.

Maybe an ancestor to Quagmire lol

5 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

:lol:

He's actually referring to Samaria and  Jerusalem and comparing idolatry to adultery. 

But yes, he gets way too graphic and seems to enjoy it too much.

Maybe an ancestor to Quagmire lol

Maybe he got abducted by aliens.

6708a016b90b5d094f669aee328a295d.jpg

Archived