Oldschooler I didn't know you drove a Pickup ?

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
;)

[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/08/16/crawford.protest/story.crosses.jpg[/img]
[u]Crawford troop memorial desecrated
Driver later arrested changing flat tire
August 16, 2005
CNN
[/u]

CRAWFORD, Texas (CNN) -- The soldier's mother at the center of an antiwar demonstration outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas said she doesn't want to press charges against a pickup driver who allegedly ran over a makeshift memorial.

Cindy Sheehan said a man earlier in the day drove over 500 crosses and 40 American flags, a memorial for the 1,800 Americans killed in Iraq.

The memorial was erected at what's being nicknamed "Camp Casey" after Sheehan's 24-year-old son, who was killed in Iraq in April 2004.

"One of the crosses lodged in his wheel well and popped his tire," she told reporters on a telephone conference call.

The man was arrested as he tried to change a tire a short distance down the road, Sheehan said.

Court papers identified him as Larry Northern, 59, from nearby Waco.

He has been charged with a felony criminal mischief count, since damage to the memorial was estimated at more than $1,500. He was released after posting $3,000 bail, according to court records.

Sheehan said the driver was desecrating a "nonpolitical, nonpartisan" statement of support for American troops.

"No matter what you think about this war, you should be honoring those who have fallen," she said.

She said protesters would ask for a restraining order to keep Northern away from their camp.

Sheehan has been camped outside Bush's Crawford ranch since August 6 in hopes of meeting with the president to ask him what her son died to achieve -- and to press for the United States to withdraw from Iraq.

The White House has said Bush met with Sheehan after her son's death in April 2004 and has announced no plans to meet with her again.

Sheehan's protest has drawn dozens of supporters and contributions from around the country, including the delivery of nearly three dozen cartons of roses from a well-wisher in Florida, Sheehan said.

Dave Jensen, a participant in the protest, said the truck driver appeared to be dragging a piece of pipe behind his pickup to aid in the destruction.

"The whole idea is, everybody is just supporting the troops and honoring the troops," he said. "This was definitely not a way to honor the troops, no matter what side of the fence you're on."

The protest has drawn counter protests from supporters of the U.S.-led war in Iraq and the ire of some neighbors -- including one who fired shots into the air Sunday, telling reporters he was "getting ready for dove season."

One woman, who identified herself as an Iraqi immigrant, held a sign across the road from protesters Tuesday that read, "Troop removal [equals] disaster -- keep the promise."

Some Crawford residents have urged county officials to crack down on the protesters, citing the campsite's proximity to roads, parking and health concerns, stemming from the portable toilets at the site.

Ranch neighbor Melissa Harrison said she also was concerned for the safety of her children.

"Who else is going to come up there?" she asked. "We don't know who all is up there protesting, what type of people it's bringing around, and I don't think they know everybody's background. So that's just my concern there."

But Linda Foley, a Sheehan supporter, said there was "a very simple solution" to the matter.

"There's a resident who lives down the street who's been invited to speak to Ms. Cindy Sheehan," she said. "A very short, 20-minute conversation, resolve her concerns, answer her questions to her satisfaction and, as a result, to the satisfaction of all the other citizens of this county and this state and this nation."

After that visit from the president, she said, "our citizens will peacefully go home."

Guest bengaljet
What would be the uproar if the crosses that were run over would have been by anti-war protestors? Is this guy part of the religious right? Pro-war but desecrates crosses that stand for war dead? Respect for the dead,respect for their families-does the DA support either or because they don't see it his way he takes the law into his own hands?
I don't think this kind of BS should ever happen. I wish the S.O.B. would have went off the road and run his head thru large oak tree(DOA)-and pizzzzz on him.

Guest bengaljet
[quote name='steggyD' date='Aug 17 2005, 01:56 AM']I think it's just simple country folk pissed at the protesters for ruining their summer. Nothing political.
[right][post="132245"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Do you also look at this lady as a loving mother that raised and LOVED her son and now her life is ruined(will never get to talk to,kiss,hold again) by a war that she sees as BS?
You've got kids-pick one and think of a situation that you lose one in a way that you think is wrong. How would you behave?---me I'd have run right thru the front
door and get what I needed.
Gee old bastard, sorry your summer was ruined-go run over some Memorial Crosses. You couldn't stay away?I do it all the time around here,something going on that I don't like I take another route.

Guest oldschooler

I don`t agree with what he did at all.
He should have ran over the protesters instead ! :thumbsdown:

Just kidding ....kinda. :whistle:

No but really...I think it was disrespectful.

And no I don`t drive a truck...

:headbang:

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='bengaljet' date='Aug 17 2005, 02:23 AM']Do you also look at this lady as a loving mother that raised and LOVED her son and now her life is ruined(will never get to talk to,kiss,hold again) by a war that she sees as BS?
You've got kids-pick one and think of a situation that you lose one in a way that you think is wrong. How would you behave?---me I'd have run right thru the front
Gee old bastard, sorry your summer was ruined-go run over some Memorial Crosses. You couldn't stay away?I do it all the time around here,something going on that I don't like I take another route.
[right][post="132249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

SHE feels that way, but her son who volunteered to go to iraq... he literally did btw... he came back from korea, and decided to volunteer to go... he told his mother "i don't have any kids, so if i save a father from leaving his wife and kids, then so be it"... the real story is that he was killed saving other soldiers... instead of her praising the extreme heroism that her son did, she is bitching at bush for starting a war... i feel extremely bad for her, but she got the wrong message imo...

the rest of family seems to agree, if you've been paying any attention to "the rest of the story"... she is simply being used by the left wing media... i feel sorry for her, b/c i think her feelings are genueine, but she is being used...

I don't think she is being used so much. She has chosen this and found some allies. My understanding is that the family is pretty split ideologically, so now that it's politics, I'd expect some differing viewpoints to emerge from the family.

What is interesting to me is the dynamic this is taking. On one hand, she can mobilize and provide a "face" for folks who want to gather around a message (the antiwar crowd.) On the other hand, if she is not facile, she runs the risk of diluting her original message/impulse. Tight-rope.

Bush has his own tight-rope. I don't think he can "cave" on this, politically, but he needs to be careful that he doesn't present too callous or cavalier an attitude. The days where a Pres can sit down and talk with all comers is long gone--that damn near wore Lincoln out and certainly distracted him.

This semi-circus reminds me of the 68 Dem convention and Kent State. Very polarizing and it tends to harden people who already have a pov, while making the undecideds think hard about the circumstances.

That said, you know how I think on the basic issue itself.

End the war. Bring home the troops,
let us gather in nicer groups.
Flower Power, pass that doob,
get your news from the tube.
Al Franken, Bill O'Reilly,
which one gets the ninja smiley?

Guest steggyD
[quote name='bengaljet' date='Aug 17 2005, 03:23 AM']Do you also look at this lady as a loving mother that raised and LOVED her son and now her life is ruined(will never get to talk to,kiss,hold again) by a war that she sees as BS?
[right][post="132249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
What the fuck are you trying to say? I am not sticking up for anyone here. I am stating what the people did and why. Did you see me take any sides. Stop arguing where there is no argument.

Guest bengaljet
[quote name='steggyD' date='Aug 17 2005, 12:12 PM']What the fuck are you trying to say? I am not sticking up for anyone here. I am stating what the people did and why. Did you see me take any sides. Stop arguing where there is no argument.
[right][post="132451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Let me tell you what the FUCK I trying to say. Look at your "simple"(minded) response @ 1:56 am. That's what the FUCK I'm talking about -it's stupid. Cause this inbread is pissed he runs over memorial signs(of the DEAD soldiers that he's supporting)-give me a fuckin' break.
Your answer was "simple"and FUCK the simple country folk.
Take your Fuck and shove it where the sun don't shine.
3 soldiers in Columbus area buried within the last week at least 2 of these families(parents) are heading to Crawford,Texas.

Guest steggyD
Dude, you're still going off over nothing. I merely stated that the people doing this are simple country folk getting pissed at the hectic lifestyle these protesters have brought to them. It is nothing political to them, it's just a summer with too much action. I don't care if the families are headed to Crawford or not, what's that have to do with the guy in the pickup? You're blowing something out of proportion here, I'm not sure what yet.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='bengaljet' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:22 PM']Let me tell you what the FUCK I trying to say. Look at your "simple"(minded) response @ 1:56 am. That's what the FUCK I'm talking about -it's stupid. Cause this inbread is pissed he runs over memorial signs(of the DEAD soldiers that he's supporting)-give me a fuckin' break.
Your answer was "simple"and FUCK the simple country folk.
Take your Fuck and shove it where the sun don't shine.
3 soldiers in Columbus area buried within the last week at least 2 of these families(parents) are heading to Crawford,Texas.
[right][post="132797"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://www.joebrower.com/PHILE_PILE/PIX/FR/chill_pill.jpg[/img]

Archived