If the Bengals want to win a Super Bowl they need to.....

Fire Marvin Lewis at the conclusion of the season and hire Jon Gruden for the following reasons:

• He's a fiery coach that shows passion and emotion, something our players need to see
  • He's had the opportunity to interview the best players from all 32 teams over the past few years as well as interview all of the young top QB prospects from his Gruden QB Camp TV show so he knows the personalities of this competition and how to attack them.
  • He has a Super Bowl winning pedigree as HC, something this franchise has NEVER had. Not only that it would be very similar to the situation in Tampa Bay when he replaced a soft spoken, mild mannered defensive minded HC that couldn't get over the hump with a franchise he turned around from the depths of being a NFL laughing stock

Gruden has done this before and can do it again, he knows how to turn a good team into a Super Bowl champ. He's a local guy with Ohio roots, unlike Marvin's Pittsburgh roots, that is full of pride and wants to win more than anything. This franchise needs some one to shake it up, turn up intensity and create sense of urgency and I believe Gruden is just the guy for the job. 

Jon Gruden has not shown the slightest interest in getting back into coaching. Why would he now? 
His name, and Cowher's, come up every year, and every year they are still in the booth. 

While I like the firing Marvin part...this is true..
Those guys have it made..making hi huge cash and not near the responsibility of being an NFL head coach...

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

55 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Jon Gruden has not shown the slightest interest in getting back into coaching. Why would he now? 

His name, and Cowher's, come up every year, and every year they are still in the booth. 

Because this is a good situation, a team with a Pro Bowl QB, WR, TE, LT, DT, DE, LB, CB, etc...the cupboards are full of talent. Also expectations are not high here, the ownership is just fine with mediocrity and you wont get fired after one bad season. Gruden may not want to coach the a team with no talent on the roster that is going thru a reboot, but could be interested in a situation where he join a team that has had some success but can't get over the hump, just like he did in Tampa Bay. Unlike Tampa Bay he won't get fired for a bad season or two, Marvin is 0-7 in the playoffs and he has a seemingly lifetime contract. 

10 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Because this is a good situation, a team with a Pro Bowl QB, WR, TE, LT, DT, DE, LB, CB, etc...the cupboards are full of talent. Also expectations are not high here, the ownership is just fine with mediocrity and you wont get fired after one bad season. Gruden may not want to coach the a team with no talent on the roster that is going thru a reboot, but could be interested in a situation where he join a team that has had some success but can't get over the hump, just like he did in Tampa Bay. Unlike Tampa Bay he won't get fired for a bad season or two, Marvin is 0-7 in the playoffs and he has a seemingly lifetime contract. 

I just don't agree with the idea that team is still full of talent compared to any other middle of the road team.  Clearly you can say AJ Green, Atkins, Dunlap, and Eifert are better than "above average".  Who else is above average?  My honest list...

Dalton, Burfict, Iloka, Whit, & Huber?

12 minutes ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I just don't agree with the idea that team is still full of talent compared to any other middle of the road team.  Clearly you can say AJ Green, Atkins, Dunlap, and Eifert are better than "above average".  Who else is above average?  My honest list...

Dalton, Burfict, Iloka, Whit, & Huber?

• Dalton is a good QB that responds well to hard coaching and being challenged like Hue did the last few years; the Bengals were 10-2 before Dalton got hurt and he was in the conversation for MVP. Currently he doesn't seem like an elite QB because the oline cant block for longer than 2 seconds. If Gruden can win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, he can definitely win one with Andy.  
  • Burfict is talented player but his very undisciplined, currently he is over-weight and out of shape. Gruden would make this guy get in shape or ship out and Burfict will find that there is not a big market for an undrafted, twice suspended, "dirty" player that was just cut for a 8 figure contract because he couldn't stay in shape and get with the program. 
  • Iloka is a similar to Burfict but in much better shape, very talented but very undisciplined...it's a re-occurring theme with this team under Marvin Lewis. 
  • Whit is an All-Pro LT that can play for another 2-3 years if he wants to at either LT or G
  • Huber is a good punter
  • Pacman was a Pro Bowl CB last year, he's not playing at a high level this year but he was a Pro Bowler last season so he has shown the capability to play good football.

We have plenty of talented players but the coaching staff is not motivating, preparing, or putting them in positions to be successful, in my humble opinion. I think Gruden is the right guy to get the most of these guys and take this franchise to the next level. 

Found this from last year....

People can certainly change their minds, but it's hard to envision a situation where Gruden prefers the Eagles' job to his current cushy set up. He reportedly makes north of $6 million -- which would put him among the top-10 coaching salaries -- as the color commentator for Monday Night Football, where there's considerably less pressure.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/turns-out-jon-gruden-is-not-interested-in-the-eagles-job/

Call me negative - But I don't see it happening.

I suppose this is all fun to talk about, but no way in hell will Mike Brown pay top dollar to pry someone like Gruden out of the broadcast booth.  It's kind of laughable.  

A more likely scenario is if the Bengals continue to stink and fans stop showing up, the Bengals will hire Hue Jackson after he gets fired in Cleveland in a year or two.

This is the problem, we fans are so conditioned to accept mediocrity that we don't demand more from this franchise. 

Other franchises that truly want to win would make this move in a heartbeat, they would not allow Marvin to go 0-7 in the playoffs, because after 2-3 times of displaying incompetence of how to get to the next level he would be fired.

Time is the most valuable and precious thing we have in life, why waste it supporting a team that has no sense of urgency about achieving the the ultimate goal?

Just now, Le Tigre said:

That is rather dramatic. By that mode, why would any anyone really "waste time" on ANY part of this make-believe sport? 

It is nothing but entertainment, which by its nature, is disposable. 

But how entertaining is it really?

I don't know about you, but I'm emotionally invested in the success of the Bengals and if I'm going to invest my time and emotions in something I want it to be successful. Can you honestly say this franchise does whatever it takes to be successful and we as consumers of this entertainment product demand that they do so?

I can't. 

The fans and the local media give the franchise a pass and settle for mediocrity, this is why the Bengals don't get any respect on a national level. They are an afterthought, an also ran, the DUFF of the NFL. 

14 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

Found this from last year....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/turns-out-jon-gruden-is-not-interested-in-the-eagles-job/

Call me negative - But I don't see it happening.

The Eagles didn't have as much talent on their roster last year as we did and they still don't, also the media and fans in Philly are notoriously fickle...can't say that about Bengals fans or the Cincinnati media. We are so starved for success that we will tolerate a HC that's big claim to fame is winning a division title every few years, we settle for trucker hats and t-shirts instead of championship rings. 

Gruden is a competitive guy that is comfortable in his current role but patiently waiting for the right opportunity to get back to coaching in the NFL and the Bengals could be that opportunity if the owners are 

9 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I suppose this is all fun to talk about, but no way in hell will Mike Brown pay top dollar to pry someone like Gruden out of the broadcast booth.  It's kind of laughable.  

A more likely scenario is if the Bengals continue to stink and fans stop showing up, the Bengals will hire Hue Jackson after he gets fired in Cleveland in a year or two.

They are paying Marvin over 4 million to go 0-7 in the playoffs, why wouldn't they increase that salary by a few more million for a guy that has proven he knows how to win a Super Bowl?

I don't think they would hire Hue or they would have agreed to the succession plan they laid out at the end of the season last year, that's why Hue left. Marvin and Hue went to MB and came up with a plan where Marvin would retire after the 2017 season and Hue would assume HC duties and MB said no, even though was under contract until that time and has openly talked about retiring regardless of what occurs on the field. MB knows that they will more than likely have find a replacement for Marvin after the 2017 season and could have had Hue remain in house still coaching the offense and a smooth transition for him to become the HC but chose otherwise, that doesn't tell me Hue is in the long term plans for this franchise. 

I understand that the likely hood of MB firing Marvin and paying him over 4 million dollars to not coach the Bengals in 2017 while paying Gruden even more to coach the Bengals is highly unlikely, but so are the Bengals chances of winning a Super Bowl or a playoff game for that matter under Marvin Lewis. My hope is that MB and Marvin retire together in 2017 and Katie & Troy are willing to be more risk adverse in order to win a championship, because the insanity that currently exist within the Bengals ownership group is making me consider following another team.  

I have seen a few posts from you recently, wherein you are threatening to "leave" if you demands to cure your perceived deficiencies are not met. I get not being interested or "invested" as a good reason...but not according to your avowed "emotional investment". 

I finally ceased having any belief in the NFL or its product after this past January. It's all just entertainment now. 

7 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

They are paying Marvin over 4 million to go 0-7 in the playoffs, why wouldn't they increase that salary by a few more million for a guy that has proven he knows how to win a Super Bowl?

Because MB has never paid big dollars for someone new to the team.  No big dollar FAs, no big dollar coaches.  MB will pay big dollars to his players and coaches that stay and are loyal.  Important difference.  Until the Bengals do something totally out of character, like building an indoor practice facility, Katie may be the new public face of the franchise, but MB is still calling the shots.

I'm not saying the Bengals will hire Hue Jackson, but I think it's way more likely than hiring some big name coach from the outside.  

Finally, if you actually have no real emotional connection to the Bengals why in the heck don't you pick another team to follow?  This organization has been maddening for decades.  I wish I had a choice, but I've been a Bengals fan since I was a little one and will be until I die.  

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I have seen a few posts from you recently, wherein you are threatening to "leave" if you demands to cure your perceived deficiencies are not met. I get not being interested or "invested" as a good reason...but not according to your avowed "emotional investment". 

I finally ceased having any belief in the NFL or its product after this past January. It's all just entertainment now. 

That's more or less where I'm at with it, and when the team looks like they're only going through the motions half the time it's barely even that.

On 11/18/2016 at 2:08 PM, Le Tigre said:

It's always been entertainment, not quite sure what you mean by this post.

I'm sure I'm not the only fan sick of watching the Marvin Lewis led Bengals under perform and want to see changes made. My perceived deficiencies are the same as everyone else, I guess you think Marvin's doing a great job and there is no room for improvement.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

It's always been entertainment, not quite sure what you mean by this post.

I'm sure I'm not the only fan sick of watching the Marvin Lewis led Bengals under perform and want to see changes made. My perceived deficiencies are the same as everyone else, I guess you think Marvin's doing a great job and there is no room for improvement.

Dude you're "accepting mediocrity" every time you tune in.  It's 3 hours of entertainment.  Not sure why you're so conflicted about it.  When I feel like I'm more into it than the players or the NFL officiating makes me feel like a mark, I tune out.  I certainly don't bet on the shit.  Simple.

23 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Because MB has never paid big dollars for someone new to the team.  No big dollar FAs, no big dollar coaches.  MB will pay big dollars to his players and coaches that stay and are loyal.  Important difference.  Until the Bengals do something totally out of character, like building an indoor practice facility, Katie may be the new public face of the franchise, but MB is still calling the shots.

I'm not saying the Bengals will hire Hue Jackson, but I think it's way more likely than hiring some big name coach from the outside.  

Finally, if you actually have no real emotional connection to the Bengals why in the heck don't you pick another team to follow?  This organization has been maddening for decades.  I wish I had a choice, but I've been a Bengals fan since I was a little one and will be until I die.  

Building a practice bubble won't do anything for this team, they have access to one whenever they want to use it. 

I remember them trying to sign plenty of big name free agents like Warren Sapp, but Cincinnati isn't exactly a preferred destination for prized NFL free agents. MB signed Antonio Bryant on the recommendation of Ocho Cinco and got swindled, they Ben Utecht only to get sued by a peusdo Christian with a pre-existing condition. 

Archived