Bengals keeping Nugent

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Nugent won't be replaced until off season.  That's a given.  Who is better out there?  Field goals are a three man show: snapper, holder (catching it may be a bit of a challenge, too... ref the one field goal Nuge did make was snapped up by Huber's ear) and the kicker.  We are already down 1/3 of that team.

Therefore the coaching strategy (that's an oxymoron in Marvspeak) has to change.  No more field goal attempts outside the 25 yard line.  We've seen that he has difficulty (understatement) with extra points from the 15.  If he blows... a field goal from the 25, the ball still comes out to the point of the kick which would be the same as a touchback.  I think it would be much wiser to have Huber try to pin them back as far as possible rather than taking possession of the ball from the spot of the attempt beyond the 25.  

Hypothetically, its the difference between the other team taking possession at the 35 after a blown field goal or being pinned inside the five with a good punt.  Someone once said football is a game of field position and why risk giving up all those yards with a shaky Nuggie.

I guess I'll have to re-post the names of current kickers who were signed mid-season:

Chris Boswell

Graham Gano

Nick Novak

Matt Prater

Dustin Hopkins

Caleb Sturgis

Matt Bryant

Cody Parkey

Robbie Gould

There's ALWAYS guys out there. It takes giving them a chance in order to find out how good they really are. 

16 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I guess I'll have to re-post the names of current kickers who were signed mid-season:

Chris Boswell

Graham Gano

Nick Novak

Matt Prater

Dustin Hopkins

Caleb Sturgis

Matt Bryant

Cody Parkey

Robbie Gould

There's ALWAYS guys out there. It takes giving them a chance in order to find out how good they really are. 

Which of these guys is available now?

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Which of these guys is available now?

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.  If those guys were signed mid season who is out there now who is better than Nugent?  I don't think he will be here next year but for the remainder of the season the coaching staff is going to have to make allowances for him, unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Yes, seriously.  If those guys were signed mid season who is out there now who is better than Nugent?  I don't think he will be here next year but for the remainder of the season the coaching staff is going to have to make allowances for him, unfortunately.

If he's not gonna be back next year, wouldn't it make more sense to cut bait now, sign another kicker and see how he holds up? Why wait?

Nugent has proven over the years he can make Kicks, yes he has had issues as of late, but does everyone here really think he's going to keep missing EP's? I seriously doubt he misses another EP the rest of this season and next season. 

Should we cut AJ green because he had an easy drop vs the Broncos that probably would have sealed the game? This honestly could have cost us a playoff spot, I say we cut him and go sign a guy who isn't on an NFL roster to play WR.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/9/25/13051358/a-j-green-says-dropped-pass-in-broncos-game-will-bother-him-all-year-bengals-wr-week-3

3 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Comparing Nugent's continually declining performance to ANYTHING related to AJ is utter lunacy.

I am now issuing a recall for your man card and am going to ask God to reduce your IQ to that of a stealerfan.

:1/2 ninja:

Why Certain players seem to just get away with making game losing mistakes...

Aj's Drop in week 2

Boyd's Fumble in week 3

the entire joke of a dline vs the cowboys

Nugent has proven over the years he can make Kicks, yes he has had issues as of late, but does everyone here really think he's going to keep missing EP's? I seriously doubt he misses another EP the rest of this season and next season. 

Should we cut AJ green because he had an easy drop vs the Broncos that probably would have sealed the game? This honestly could have cost us a playoff spot, I say we cut him and go sign a guy who isn't on an NFL roster to play WR.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/9/25/13051358/a-j-green-says-dropped-pass-in-broncos-game-will-bother-him-all-year-bengals-wr-week-3

AJ's an every down player. Your choke ass boy shows up .....what....10seconds at a time. Sometimes it's 3seconds for that 35yard LONG range extra point. He's the guy that while shooting the 8ball. Misses the Q ball and rips the cloth off the table. He sucks ...and that ridiculous look he makes towards the camera after every choke....is nauseating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that's gotten a lot less attention this year than the defensive struggles is how bad the special teams have been overall (currently #25), and not just Nugent. From 2011-2015, our ST units have been 12th or better in the league and usually around 7th (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst2011). The last time we had an ST unit this bad was 2010 (ranked #28).

Anyways, if we look at the Bengals FG points above average (average calculated over all kickers for each kick distance), the results are:

• 2010: -7.4 (most of this poor performance should be attributed to the kicker we signed after Nugent went on IR)
  • 2011: 5.9
  • 2012: 5.9 (split between Nugent and Josh Brown)
  • 2013: -1.5
  • 2014: -2.6
  • 2015: 1.5
  • 2016: -7.9

Looks like an average kicker who had a pretty good 2011 and a worse than usual 2016. FG kickers seem to be struggling quite a bit this year, so there are more negative entries than usual (average is calculated over multiple seasons). Nugent is the 15th highest paid kicker in the league (http://overthecap.com/position/kicker/) so it seems the Bengals are paying for an average kicker and getting average kicker performance in response. If Nugent reverts to his usual form next year, then it shouldn't be a big deal, but if this gets into his head, and he keeps shaking XPs on a regular basis, I think we need to make a change.

20 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

Looks like Marvin Jones and Sanu are headed for their 7th straight playoff because they also have a quarterback emoji41.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's par for the course: do not respond to a direct question for backup of an out-of-ass statement; rather trot out a total non sequitur. 

Whatever, sunglasses. 

5 hours ago, SlantNGo said:

One thing that's gotten a lot less attention this year than the defensive struggles is how bad the special teams have been overall (currently #25), and not just Nugent. From 2011-2015, our ST units have been 12th or better in the league and usually around 7th (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst2011). The last time we had an ST unit this bad was 2010 (ranked #28).

Anyways, if we look at the Bengals FG points above average (average calculated over all kickers for each kick distance), the results are:

• 2010: -7.4 (most of this poor performance should be attributed to the kicker we signed after Nugent went on IR)
  • 2011: 5.9
  • 2012: 5.9 (split between Nugent and Josh Brown)
  • 2013: -1.5
  • 2014: -2.6
  • 2015: 1.5
  • 2016: -7.9

Looks like an average kicker who had a pretty good 2011 and a worse than usual 2016. FG kickers seem to be struggling quite a bit this year, so there are more negative entries than usual (average is calculated over multiple seasons). Nugent is the 15th highest paid kicker in the league (http://overthecap.com/position/kicker/) so it seems the Bengals are paying for an average kicker and getting average kicker performance in response. If Nugent reverts to his usual form next year, then it shouldn't be a big deal, but if this gets into his head, and he keeps shaking XPs on a regular basis, I think we need to make a change.

A good post getting buried here. 

Archived