The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Eagles

I didn't watch the game but noticed that Burkhead seems to rush the ball for 4-6 yards a carry when Hill is managing 2.  He's no home run threat, but it keeps you out of 3rd and long.  Their 3rd down conversion percentage was 50% today last I looked.

ive been wondering if Bernard and Hill are overrated by the Bengal faithful.

GOOD
Dalton-Very good day. Accurate, decisive with great deep touch
LaFell, Boyd & Core-Strong day for the WR group not named Green
Burkhead-66 all purpose yards on 12 touches
Burfict-Beast Burger Mode! Guy was on today
Dunlap-3 batted passes and a half sack while being held all day. Not sexy stats but the guy was super disruptive today
Bengals win!

BAD
Jones-Made 9 tackles today because the guys he was covering constantly caught passes
Hill-Totally ineffective

UGLY
Nugent-ANOTHER missed PAT
Fisher-Catch, fumble, injured

6 minutes ago, mgbrown66 said:

I didn't watch the game but noticed that Burkhead seems to rush the ball for 4-6 yards a carry when Hill is managing 2.  He's no home run threat, but it keeps you out of 3rd and long.  Their 3rd down conversion percentage was 50% today last I looked.

I didn't see the game either but I did watch the stats and Hill was actually almost at 1 yard per carry until their last drive of the game, when he had a couple garbage time 5-yarders.

I didn't see the game either but I did watch the stats and Hill was actually almost at 1 yard per carry until their last drive of the game, when he had a couple garbage time 5-yarders.

I'm not saying hill is the best..but so many times when he gets the ball he's got 2/3 defensive players on his ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

One you can put into the "Bad" column is the Bengals defense not being able to stop opposing teams on

3rd down.  Coming into today's game the Eagles were like 3 for 48 in converting 3rd and long

on offense and were 4 for 4 at one point today.  Not to mention I think they were 2 for 2 converting

on 4th downs.  That shit is frustrating as hell.  

The good, Carlos swatting passes down at the LOS.  Burfict went off today!  Dalton having a good game

with no AJ on the field.  I'd like to see Core get some more reps on offense.  Didn't have to listen to Dan Fouts

and Ian Eagle call the game!!  Another thing to add to the "good".  Dalton had decent protection all game and

didn't get sacked.  I was kind of worried that Brandon Graham and Fletcher Cox would go off.  

GOOD:

Burkhead really impresses me...except the fumble of course.  Dude just plays with a lot of effort, emotion, and heart...he's always fired up.  As mentioned above, in comparison to Hill...well...there is no comparison...maybe because the defenses are keying on Hill and forgetting about Burkhead, but if so, then milk it while it lasts. 

Vontaze, Gino, Dunlap, etc all seemed like the good ole days today.

Andy deserves credit for the win especially from some noted naysayers, but he won't get it since that's the way he's supposed to play, right?

BAD: 

Defense on 3rd downs...long 3rd downs too mostly...very frustrating 

The dropped interceptions right in our hands...2? or was it 3?

Also as mentioned above, Adam Jones.  Love the guy, but he missed on some key tackles and his receivers got the lions share of the completions.

SHAME:

That the score isn't indicative of the game.  Really wanted a statement game shutout.

Not even gonna mention Nuge...'nuff said...I did sarcastically enjoy the stat about how he's missed more FG's and PAT's than any other kicker in the NFL.

I said a few years ago I thought Rex was the most complete back on the squad...I still believe that. Though Gio had gotten better, I think Rex is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Margus was actually a disrupter...liked seeing that. Eric Winston can still play. Core and James Wright were incredible. 

The Great: spending most likely the last home game I will be attending for awhile, with my best friends. Thank you, Amish, particularly.

The only ugly part of the day for me was the pre-game snub I got from a "private party" section of the Holy Grail, reserved for Eagle fans. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and my 1(a) team has always been the Birds. Guess I had too much Bengal gear on to convince them I was no enemy. They rudely told me to go away. Oh well, confirms what I have always known about them: assholes.

Watched Margus a lot today, easy to pick out on D because he was the only one wearing long white sleeves.

He had one hellacious legal hit on Wentz just as he released that I am surprised he got up from.

Margus's problem is he is so damn stiff.  He simply cannot bend at the waist.  One play, the running back actually ran under his grasp.  Didn't get far but Margus should have squashed him.  One tackle the running back made it around him and Margus grabbed the guy from behind.

One question... when is his contract up?  I thought this year but the guy sitting next to me said he had an extension and is here for another year.

1 hour ago, whodey365 said:

Defense played with some fire that I haven't really seen since week one. Andy throwing ropes. I know winning doesn't really do much for the team as far as draft position goes but  it still feels right.  #firenugent.

Falling farther down the draft position is the only bad really for me. That and every win makes it more likely that this coaching staff is brought back for another terrible season next year. 15 in a row without a playoff win is brutally bad.

8 hours ago, big_dish said:

Falling farther down the draft position is the only bad really for me. That and every win makes it more likely that this coaching staff is brought back for another terrible season next year. 15 in a row without a playoff win is brutally bad.

There are players they can take that meet needs in the teens to.  The only "early" guy I really wan't likely wouldn't be there even if we lost out.  If we are picking 10-15 and can still land Ross or Foster, or one of the other top LBs I'm still happy.

Ugly - hill had 23 carries for 33 yards. One of the worst ypc for a back with over 20 carries I've ever seen. Rex was finding holes all day so it wasn't the lines fault. He's been stuck in the mud all season. Getting an every down back in the draft has to be one of the top priorities.

44 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Ugly - hill had 23 carries for 33 yards. One of the worst ypc for a back with over 20 carries I've ever seen. Rex was finding holes all day so it wasn't the lines fault. He's been stuck in the mud all season. Getting an every down back in the draft has to be one of the top priorities.

I was remarking on your third sentence in stadium yesterday. The line was actually getting good push all day. If anything, Hill was getting the better looks at openings than Rex was. The difference, as you note, was that Hill wasn't moving at any speed or quickness towards the seams, and had zilch cutback. Rex was exactly the opposite. Most importantly, he was getting good first down yardage, which made the pass easier. I really like this kid.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

There are players they can take that meet needs in the teens to.  The only "early" guy I really wan't likely wouldn't be there even if we lost out.  If we are picking 10-15 and can still land Ross or Foster, or one of the other top LBs I'm still happy.

I half agree with this, our 1st rounder we can get our positions of need in the top 10-15, but I'm hoping we can get a good interior O-linmen in the 2nd and hope we dont get bumped out of that.

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I was remarking on your third sentence in stadium yesterday. The line was actually getting good push all day. If anything, Hill was getting the better looks at openings than Rex was. The difference, as you note, was that Hill wasn't moving at any speed or quickness towards the seams, and had zilch cutback. Rex was exactly the opposite. Most importantly, he was getting good first down yardage, which made the pass easier. I really like this kid.

There isn't much of a difference between Gio and Burkhead, not sure why they gave Gio all of that money.

Hill is a good goal line back, he's really motivated to show us his dance moves, but if he was struggling to get going all day. Although he did have to dodge would be tacklers in the back field on the majority of his runs. Not sure what is wrong with him but he needs to find his burst and explosion in the last month of this season or he could be looking for a job next year. 

Burfict should go to the Pro Bowl but I'm sure won't.  His two interceptions in a game is the first time a Bengal linebacker has done that since Odell Thurman in 2005 (tyvm, post game show).

Seriously, it he was on one of the NFL pet teams, he would praised to high heaven.

Do they still have a defensive player of the week somewhere?  If he doesn't get it, there's something wrong but no surprise there.

th-6.jpeg

24 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Burfict should go to the Pro Bowl but I'm sure won't.  His two interceptions in a game is the first time a Bengal linebacker has done that since Odell Thurman in 2005 (tyvm, post game show).

Seriously, it he was on one of the NFL pet teams, he would praised to high heaven.

Do they still have a defensive player of the week somewhere?  If he doesn't get it, there's something wrong but no surprise there.

th-6.jpeg

He has a few good games lately but he didn't start the year off strong and was suspended for 3 games for playing reckless and stupid. Also the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and Vontaze is not the most popular guy among his peers. 

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

He has a few good games lately but he didn't start the year off strong and was suspended for 3 games for playing reckless and stupid. Also the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and Vontaze is not the most popular guy among his peers. 

Sad, but true. 

18 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Watched Margus a lot today, easy to pick out on D because he was the only one wearing long white sleeves.

He had one hellacious legal hit on Wentz just as he released that I am surprised he got up from.

Margus's problem is he is so damn stiff.  He simply cannot bend at the waist.  One play, the running back actually ran under his grasp.  Didn't get far but Margus should have squashed him.  One tackle the running back made it around him and Margus grabbed the guy from behind.

One question... when is his contract up?  I thought this year but the guy sitting next to me said he had an extension and is here for another year.

Margus Hunt's contract is up after this year.  UFA for 2017.  

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/margus-hunt-12334/

Archived