Team's Biggest Need

Let's just get this out of the way, we have a lot of needs; everything from offensive line, defensive line and coverage linebackers.  Above all of that, I think the thing this team is missing is team speed.  I believe that you build a team from the inside out...from the lines back.  While neither of our lines are great, I think we lack speed on the outside that opens up the field on offense and can allow us to play a little more aggressive on defense.  AJ is probably our fastest offensive player, and he's probably only a 4.5 guy.  On defense, our fastest guy is probably Flowers??  While speed isn't everything it's one of the few things that you can't teach and it can help cover for some small mistakes.  I would venture to say we've got the slowest corners and WRs in the league.  I don't think it's smart to go out and just draft or acquire the fastest guys you can find, but if two people are close in their evaluations, I think think we have to start leaning towards the faster guys...once the team speed improves I think we become a much more dangerous team.

44 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Let's just get this out of the way, we have a lot of needs; everything from offensive line, defensive line and coverage linebackers.  Above all of that, I think the thing this team is missing is team speed.  I believe that you build a team from the inside out...from the lines back.  While neither of our lines are great, I think we lack speed on the outside that opens up the field on offense and can allow us to play a little more aggressive on defense.  AJ is probably our fastest offensive player, and he's probably only a 4.5 guy.  On defense, our fastest guy is probably Flowers??  While speed isn't everything it's one of the few things that you can't teach and it can help cover for some small mistakes.  I would venture to say we've got the slowest corners and WRs in the league.  I don't think it's smart to go out and just draft or acquire the fastest guys you can find, but if two people are close in their evaluations, I think think we have to start leaning towards the faster guys...once the team speed improves I think we become a much more dangerous team.

I agree, the one thing I most want from this draft is speed.  Particularly at WR and in the front 7.  

And interior line (assuming the play of Obueghi and Fisher improves, if not, OT will also be a need).

2 hours ago, Jason said:

And interior line (assuming the play of Obueghi and Fisher improves, if not, OT will also be a need).

We need a tackle. No doubt. I think Ced is likely garbage. Seriously, a first rounder getting benched multiple times more than halfway through his second season, that's a bad omen.

Also, agree with speed. Marvin Lewis is woefully slow.

Whit isn't signed for next year although i expect him to be. Ced should probably swing over to LT and move Whit inside and maybe Fisher at RT? If Whit isn't signed then OT is number 1. I hate Ryan Shazier but itd be nice to have a fast LB like that. I think defense is number 1 priority depending on Whit. LB, DL, S, CB in that order.

3 hours ago, whodey365 said:

Whit isn't signed for next year although i expect him to be. Ced should probably swing over to LT and move Whit inside and maybe Fisher at RT? If Whit isn't signed then OT is number 1. I hate Ryan Shazier but itd be nice to have a fast LB like that. I think defense is number 1 priority depending on Whit. LB, DL, S, CB in that order.

You really want to move Ced to LT and trust him to block Andy's blind side, you must be a big McCarron fan.

6 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

You really want to move Ced to LT and trust him to block Andy's blind side, you must be a big McCarron fan.

lol nah I like AJ Mac as a backup. I just read a few things that suggested Ced was built more as a LT than RT. I have no idea really. A first round tackle should be able to play LT though.

10 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

We need a tackle. No doubt. I think Ced is likely garbage. Seriously, a first rounder getting benched multiple times more than halfway through his second season, that's a bad omen.

Also, agree with speed. Marvin Lewis is woefully slow.

In all fairness, this might as well be Ced's rookie season. A knee injury for a man that large is a tough thing to overcome, I'd imagine. I also think one of his problems is that he is undersized for an NFL tackle. He just looks like he needs to put on some weight, hopefully not the Andre Smith way. I'm willing to give him a pass for this season although I think he could've/should've shown us more. I wouldn't be opposed to trying him at different spots on the line.

51 minutes ago, 75North said:

In all fairness, this might as well be Ced's rookie season. A knee injury for a man that large is a tough thing to overcome, I'd imagine. I also think one of his problems is that he is undersized for an NFL tackle. He just looks like he needs to put on some weight, hopefully not the Andre Smith way. I'm willing to give him a pass for this season although I think he could've/should've shown us more. I wouldn't be opposed to trying him at different spots on the line.

Yes, Ced is far too athletic to give up on after really 1 season.  And I also think he is better suited to the other side.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes, Ced is far too athletic to give up on after really 1 season.  And I also think he is better suited to the other side.

Do you really think so?  Good observation and I never thought of that.  That could  be a real plus especially if Fisher can play ORT (or Center).  I can't think of an ORT who moved to left and did well.  I do recall Fat Willie Anderson was drafted to play OLT and washed out real quick and was moved to the right side of the line where he got a lot of props but was never as good as Mike "Moon Pie" Wilson who was overlooked because Munoz and Max Montoya were on the same line.

Ced played more LT at A&M than RT. He played guard too. I am good with giving him another offseason to gain weight and strength. If he does that, and keeps his speed/athleticism, he'll be OK. Would still keep Winston around another year though.

Fisher is straight LT--although he too had some time at RT and guard at UO. He's got the stuff for the LT position, no doubt.

And...enough of this constant drone of Whitworth to guard. Boling is fine and, unless he leaves, so is Zeitler. Whitworth stays at LT for as long as he wants...he is that kind of Jackie Slater-style ageless/no loss of skills player. 

Not sure why anyone would want to put the worst pass protector at LT, he would literally get Andy or any qb killed. If he can hold in pass pro at RT, why would putting him on the QB's blindside vs. every team's best pass rusher be a good idea? He may be athletic, but he sucks at playing OT in the NFL. I would rather have a guy with functional strength and awesome technique over a guy who looks good in shorts and moves around quickly. 

If Ced was a UDFA that gave up a sack every time he gets extended playing time would you guys be clamoring for him to be our starting LT? I would hope not. 

52 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Not sure why anyone would want to put the worst pass protector at LT, he would literally get Andy or any qb killed. If he can hold in pass pro at RT, why would putting him on the QB's blindside vs. every team's best pass rusher be a good idea? He may be athletic, but he sucks at playing OT in the NFL. I would rather have a guy with functional strength and awesome technique over a guy who looks good in shorts and move around quickly. 

If Ced was a UDFA that gave up a sack every time he gets extended playing time would you guys be clamoring for him to be our starting LT? I would hope not. 

Because first year players tend to get better.  He needs to, mostly get stronger.  But his athleticism is rare for a guy his size.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because first year players tend to get better.  He needs to, mostly get stronger.  But his athleticism is rare for a guy his size.

It doesn't seem like he's close to having NFL type strength.  Do you think it's possible to gain that over one offseason?  

23 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

It doesn't seem like he's close to having NFL type strength.  Do you think it's possible to gain that over one offseason?  

Not without violating the NFL's PED policy. 

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ced needs to get better with his technique as well and that can take years to master. You don't experiment with the LT position because you can get your $100 million dollar QB killed. Ced should be a backup/practice squad player until further notice. Hopefully they keep him on the bench for the rest of the season and let the offense continue to play at a high level. 

No coincidence the only game in which the Bengals didn't give up a sack this entire season is the one in which Ced didn't play, at this point in his career he's a major liability. 

8 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Not without violating the NFL's PED policy. 

Ced needs to get better with his technique as well and that can take years to master. You don't experiment with the LT position because you can get your $100 million dollar QB killed. Ced should be a backup/practice squad player until further notice. Hopefully they keep him on the bench for the rest of the season and let the offense continue to play at a high level. 

No coincidence the only game in which the Bengals didn't give up a sack Ced didn't play, at this point in his career he's a major liability. 

When Ced isn't getting burned by a speed rusher, he gets bull rushed directly into the pocket. I can't envision a single scenario where you would put him at LT. The person responsible for that draft pick should be shown the door. 

Archived