The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Browns game 2

22 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I don't know why some folks are worried about WR or even talking about how we need to draft one in the 1st round.  Our offensive "skill positions" are set. Shitcan our OL coach  and I suspect we'd be fine on that side of the ball.

I was and am a big advocate of Boyd and wanted him as our 2nd round pick.

That said, I still think he is simply a better than Sanu WR, but he isnt the guy that can get deep when AJ is hurt or off the field, like Marvin Jones was. Get me a guy that can do that. Because as much as I like Boyd, he isnt as good as Marvin Jones.

22 hours ago, kriZENry said:

I like Boyd but his hands are suspect. I always fear the review that he didn't actually catch the ball. He had a good game though, hope it continues.  

His hands were one of the biggest assets according to his scouting report??

5 hours ago, big_dish said:

Yes and no.... Yes it is a crap shoot, especially with the clueless Bengals org. HOWEVER- that 5 draft slots can mean the different between a Khalil Mack or Von Miller and an average/slightly above average DE) or same for tackles on Oline.

HUGE difference if you select wisely... and then, of course this dumbshit staff would need to actually play said player, instead of just waiting for Michael Johnsons contract to run out.

We were never going to be in the top 5,

Cleveland, San Fran, Jacksonville, and Chicago are all far and away worse than we are...so MAYBE we get #5 but then you have teams like the Jets, and Rams (who just fired Jeff Fisher) who both have worse records than we do even if only by a game, and then you have the teams have the same amount of wins but one more loss than we do because of the tie, The Chargers, Eagles, Saints, and Panthers, ...then the Cardinals who have the same record we have (which means a coin flip)....and that puts us in the top 10 (11 if we lose the Coin flip to the Cards) if the draft were held today.

And we were never going to lose to Cleveland. Come on man. We might even get 1 more win this season against the Texans TBH.

A top 10-12 draft pick imho actually lines up with where the top talent at WR is at which imo is the position that would help us the most.

15 hours ago, FulcherVulcher33 said:

At some point you have to go into fee agency and get a proven center or tackle,you can draft for talent but you fill needs with free agency

I most definitely agree.  Now show me where Mike Brown has done this in ANY serious fashion that didn't involve complete has-beens or "discounts because they're scumbags"?  It's not like us long-suffering Bengal fans look to the draft because we forgot that free agency exists, it's because we've come to expect it to be our only source of real talent.  It's sad, but it is true.  I would much rather have a good, seasoned, *PROVEN* center be signed in FA than through the draft, no doubt.

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The lamenting over dropping a few slots in a crapshoot draft, leads to the inference that tanking is OK and that no complaints would be noted if they did just that. It is not a question specifically to BD...but anyone.

Yeah this team should be way beyond counting on the draft for the "missing piece", but suddenly it seems like we are there. I for one am now 100% convinced it's a coaching problem at every problem spot, including safety.  I don't expect a saviour from the draft and I don't think anyone else should either (and I'd argue the only single position that can really affect a team that much is QB anyway).

Nope, we need new blood at OL coach and the "new" coaches at DL and DB seem pretty bad too, so toss them as well.  Oh, and Marvin, don't forget Marvin.

I think I remember play you mean. Sims was yanked down to his knees right? If it's one Im thinking of the line didnt2 do awful in that they held their ground but Dansby for some reason had his back turned and didn't even see the rb til he was by him and of course Williams came up and whiffed like a damn pitcher as usual. It was a draw so fine sometimes you get fooled but Dansby was only guy on whole defense to get fooled like that. The guy with the most seniority on the entire team is the guy that had no clue. That's if I'm thinking of right play. I would def put the run d woes more on the lbs 58 and 56 and safety 36. Hell even the screen when Burfict blitzed he realized that it was a screen and tried to hit Griffin to disrupt throw but good old 56 was last to react and chase his man the rb across the field. When he did react he was slow as ever getting over there. He just needs to go and Williams needs to take a geometry class or something. I'm not saying the dline was great but the much bigger issue in my eyes in 56 36 and 58. At least 58 does some stuff right though. When he takes a pre determined gap and goes downhill to clog something up or take out a blocking fb etc he does that really well. 56 on the other hand I can't recall him doing very many things right this year.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Yea I think his hands are great. If referring to fumbles I can see but as far as making catches he's been great. He can make the tough catch alot. Going through his tape he makes tough catches look easy and a few times this year he came down with some nice tough ones.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

We were never going to be in the top 5,

Cleveland, San Fran, Jacksonville, and Chicago are all far and away worse than we are...so MAYBE we get #5 but then you have teams like the Jets, and Rams (who just fired Jeff Fisher) who both have worse records than we do even if only by a game, and then you have the teams have the same amount of wins but one more loss than we do because of the tie, The Chargers, Eagles, Saints, and Panthers, ...then the Cardinals who have the same record we have (which means a coin flip)....and that puts us in the top 10 (11 if we lose the Coin flip to the Cards) if the draft were held today.

And we were never going to lose to Cleveland. Come on man. We might even get 1 more win this season against the Texans TBH.

A top 10-12 draft pick imho actually lines up with where the top talent at WR is at which imo is the position that would help us the most.

Reuben Foster is the top of my "realistic Wish List" as of now, but Ross (the WR from Washington) is second.  Foster in 1 and Curtis Samuel in 2 would be awesome.

As would Ross in 1 and Watt or Charlton in 2.

As long as 3 is Elflein, and 4 is Carlson (Auburn kicker).

39 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I most definitely agree.  Now show me where Mike Brown has done this in ANY serious fashion that didn't involve complete has-beens or "discounts because they're scumbags"?  It's not like us long-suffering Bengal fans look to the draft because we forgot that free agency exists, it's because we've come to expect it to be our only source of real talent.  It's sad, but it is true.  I would much rather have a good, seasoned, *PROVEN* center be signed in FA than through the draft, no doubt.

Having a good center would  be so nice. Been far to long with these Paul Alexander picks and since Braham was here. I don't see how you can speak of wanting a strong run game every year when typically your weakest link on the oline is right up the middle.

I'm liking the promise Core has showed for the #2. He has the prototype size for it. I would be good with AJ him and Boyd next year as top 3 but would much rather have  D Jackson. Getting him J. Collins and help for the oline would go a long way in fixing this teams weaknesses.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Reuben Foster is the top of my "realistic Wish List" as of now, but Ross (the WR from Washington) is second.  Foster in 1 and Curtis Samuel in 2 would be awesome.

As would Ross in 1 and Watt or Charlton in 2.

As long as 3 is Elflein, and 4 is Carlson (Auburn kicker).

Still way to early for me to be thinking about specific guys, but a RB? Is Gio up this year?

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I was and am a big advocate of Boyd and wanted him as our 2nd round pick.

That said, I still think he is simply a better than Sanu WR, but he isnt the guy that can get deep when AJ is hurt or off the field, like Marvin Jones was. Get me a guy that can do that. Because as much as I like Boyd, he isnt as good as Marvin Jones.

Jones hasn't done shit since early in the season. You overrate him. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Richie Braham was a failed 3rd Round guard for the Cardinals. He comes here, and becomes the Gold Star example of a great center. And Paul Alexander put him there. 

Just sayin'

That was back before Paul Alexander started smoking crack cocaine. Just saying.

:)

Just now, Jamie_B said:

I didnt say he was a world beater, I said he was a deep threat enough to keep Defenses honest and not put 8 guys in the box. 

But he isn't even that for the Lions now is my point. The Bengals best bet for keeping defenses honest was having a decent run attack, and that went out the window long ago when we ascertained that our oline can't block anybody in that phase of the game.

1 minute ago, Bunghole said:

But he isn't even that for the Lions now is my point. The Bengals best bet for keeping defenses honest was having a decent run attack, and that went out the window long ago when we ascertained that our oline can't block anybody in that phase of the game.

I dont disagree that the Oline is an issue, but if you watch a few of the games this year (the last two not withstanding) teams were putting 8 guys in the box once AJ went down and were daring us to throw on them. 

Just now, Jamie_B said:

I dont disagree that the Oline is an issue, but if you watch a few of the games this year (the last two not withstanding) teams were putting 8 guys in the box once AJ went down and were daring us to throw on them. 

I think the bigger issue there is that without AJ, and in that situation, teams are also doubling Eifert, which doesn't leave us with many passing options outside. It isn't that Boyd isn't good, because he is, but our scheme doesn't allow for Lafell, Erickson, Core and Boyd to get looks when the opposing defense is lined up like that. Plus Dalton gets hit or sacked A LOT looking for guys that he isn't used to/can't get open.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we aren't arguing here, other that me saying that Jones would not have made a difference given our current situation. Plus he's hurt every year.

1 minute ago, Bunghole said:

I think the bigger issue there is that without AJ, and in that situation, teams are also doubling Eifert, which doesn't leave us with many passing options outside. It isn't that Boyd isn't good, because he is, but our scheme doesn't allow for Lafell, Erickson, Core and Boyd to get looks when the opposing defense is lined up like that. Plus Dalton gets hit or sacked A LOT looking for guys that he isn't used to/can't get open.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we aren't arguing here, other that me saying that Jones would not have made a difference given our current situation. Plus he's hurt every year.

Lafell, Erickson, Boyd are not guys that can get downfield, and Core is a 6th round pick that has only shown up in one game. 

Jones may not have fixed our Oline problems, but he would have helped with the WR core.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Lafell, Erickson, Boyd are not guys that can get downfield, and Core is a 6th round pick that has only shown up in one game. 

Jones may not have fixed our Oline problems, but he would have helped with the WR core.

Our issue outside isn't speed with no AJ Green...it's SIZE. Jones wouldn't help us there. He'd be just as stymied.

The Stains next two first rounders and Hue can have him (but his wife may have to stay).  :D

Seriously though, if the Browns approached me to deal him within the Division the price would be this year's 2nd & 4th (virtually a 1st & 3rd) - heck I'd toss in Jethro too.  With say, 3rd & 5th Rd comps for Nelson & Sugar Tits you'd have our 1st, two 2nd's, 2 3rd's, 2 4th's & 2 5th's.  They probably wouldn't do it, but that's the price of doing business in the division.

On 12/12/2016 at 3:24 PM, Jamie_B said:

Yeah, I don't know where he was getting that Boyd's hands were bad. He had the fumble that wasn't. I don't recall a lot of drops.

Archived