Rams fire Jeff Fisher

Montana Bengal

Rams name John Fassel interim coach

Posted by Zac Jackson on December 12, 2016, 3:36 PM EST

The Rams have named special teams coach John Fassel as their interim head coach.

The team fired Jeff Fisher on Monday. The Rams play at Seattle on Thursday night, so it’s going to be an interesting week for Fassel and the rest of the Rams coaches.

Fassel, the son of former Giants head coach Jim Fassel, has been with the Rams since 2012. He previously was an assistant with the Raiders and Ravens.

The Rams announced that Fassel will address the media later Monday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/12/rams-name-john-fassel-interim-coach/

23 minutes ago, Enon Bengal said:

I thought that just announced an extension for him last week?

I guess not.

I think the extension was actually done earlier.  News of it was just released last week.

Edit:  Here

Fisher confirmed it in Sunday's postgame news conference, minutes after his team was thoroughly outplayed in a 26-10 loss to the New England Patriots. He said the deal was signed "well before" even the first preseason game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18199958/jeff-fisher-signs-contract-extension-los-angeles-rams-coach

18 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

I'm guessing this means when we lose a coach (or coordinator) this off-season, the Bengals will grab him.

I was thinking the same thing.

One problem the Bengals have now is that they (MikeandKatie) have painted themselves into a corner with Zampese, Gunther and Alexander (asst. head coach?) have strong ties to the Brown family and MikeandKatie will be reluctant to get rid of them.  When Marvin "retires" at the end of the season (which I rather expect) whomever replaces him will be stuck with the assistants dead wood.

23 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

There is some talk, that I don't believe, that Jim Harbaugh might go there. 

I don't know why he would either. He's really close to bringing one of the most storied teams in history back to national prominence. He does that and he's a god in Ann Arbor...  

I don't like LA all that much, and the Mausoleum is a horrible environment to be forced to play in, but I'm considering throwing my hat in the ring for the coaching job.

* I have been to four World Championship games, winning two, and have led my rag-tag team of misfits to this year's Semi-finals (let you know Monday how I did)
* I have been to one Super Bowl.
* I have drafted current Hall of Famers like Dan Marino, Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice
* I have drafted future Hall of Famers like Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson and Ben Rapistberger
* I have been a General Manager, Head of Scouting, Director of Player Personnel, and Head Coach - all at the same time - for 28 straight years.
* I have never come in last or next-to-last place, even during rebuilding years.
* I come cheap - pay me a flat basic salary so I can cover my housing expenses plus a per-win commission.  $250K + $250K/win should suffice.  Even if we went undefeated I'd be $2M cheaper than Fisher.

Archived