Bengals have released Mike Nugent.

My checklist for giving the Bengals my support again (in no particular order):

1. Adam Jones no longer on team
  2. Vontaze Burfict no longer on team
  3. Mike Nugent no longer on team 
  4. Jeremy Hill no longer on team
  5. Marvin Lewis no longer on sidelines
  6. Improvement in the ugly costumes

Check #3 off the list.  I won't hold my breath waiting on the other five.

38 minutes ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Somehow guys like Maualuga, Peko, and Bodine missed your list. Apparently you don't enjoy winning

1 hour ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Image result for lol wut

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Please do.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Obvious troll. (him, NOT you)

Why are you making this personal?  Damn.

I'm no "obvious troll".  I've been a contributor to this site for years and have never caused any trouble whatsoever.  I'm just a 41-year follower of this franchise who has reached his limit.  Nearly no one in my circle of family, friends, and acquaintances gives a shit about this franchise or what I may think about it, so I chose to vent at one of the few places, online or otherwise, where someone might actually relate to my frustration.  But if you think Adam Jones are Vontaze Burfict are cornerstones of a Super Bowl Champion team, and that Marvin Lewis is the man to lead them there, then you go right on expecting great things, High School Harry of Go-Bengals.com.

2 hours ago, B.A.B. said:

Somehow guys like Maualuga, Peko, and Bodine missed your list. Apparently you don't enjoy winning

Of course I like winning, and if this team had actually won something of historical consequence, I might be more forgiving.  Teams have won championships without Burfict or Jones on their roster, so it can be done, and without the bullshit.  As for Hill, every time I hear his name, I'll always be reminded of the playoff fumble.  Kinda hard to forget about it as long as he's here.  A change in scenery would be good for both parties.

7 hours ago, turningpoint said:

I really think Nugent had better odds to make a kick from 45 than 35, he just sucked from EP range.

Anyways, it's a move that had to happen, he pretty much has cost this team the playoffs. They could most likely be 1.5 games better with him.

I'm glad to see him go, but he didn't really lose any games. He didn't miss any game winning or game tying FGs except maybe against Washington, I honestly can't remember. If you're going to add first half missed FGs and XPs up and say they would've won, you should really blame the offense for not scoring more TDs. They left more points on the field than 3 or 4 a game.

Yes, he sucked and didn't help his team much at all, but he didn't cost us the season.

What destroyed the season is that they couldn't get the offense and defense clicking in the same game. And the difference from last year is that they found ways to win at the end of the game last year and found ways to lose this year and not FG related. Turnovers, stupid play calls, D couldn't get off the field. 

5 hours ago, GoBengals said:

honestly my favorite part is we grabbed a stunner with the exact same career stats as nugent... (slghtly higher missed XP stats)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Great point, but the plus side may be that Nugent won't be the uncontested pre-season kicker next season and they will finally move on from him. But then again, he might be back.

6 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

Why are you making this personal?  Damn.

I'm no "obvious troll".  I've been a contributor to this site for years and have never caused any trouble whatsoever.  I'm just a 41-year follower of this franchise who has reached his limit.  Nearly no one in my circle of family, friends, and acquaintances gives a shit about this franchise or what I may think about it, so I chose to vent at one of the few places, online or otherwise, where someone might actually relate to my frustration.  But if you think Adam Jones are Vontaze Burfict are cornerstones of a Super Bowl Champion team, and that Marvin Lewis is the man to lead them there, then you go right on expecting great things, High School Harry of Go-Bengals.com.

Of course I like winning, and if this team had actually won something of historical consequence, I might be more forgiving.  Teams have won championships without Burfict or Jones on their roster, so it can be done, and without the bullshit.  As for Hill, every time I hear his name, I'll always be reminded of the playoff fumble.  Kinda hard to forget about it as long as he's here.  A change in scenery would be good for both parties.

Apologies for miscommunication, etc.  Actually agree with you in some cases.  Marvin should have been gone about five years into his contract for losing games he should have won and not just playoffs, losing them for the same stupid things he will continue to do this Sunday.  Time for Jones to throw in the jock but considering who else we have a cornerback he's about par for the course.  Burfict... if he was on one of the prima dona teams he would be an all pro.  Hill has no vision, runs to a pile of bodies and stands there rather than looking for a hole.  Replacements can't happen all at once and I don't see it happening, anyway, as long as Marv is still around.  Zero discipline or motivation from him and I dare say very little, if any, respect for him from the players. Whatever... you just came off sort of harsh (IMHO) and I do know you have posted some excellent stuff in the past.  I guess it was the "giving the Bengals my support again"; the ugly prom date analogy, "she might be ugly but she's mine".  I mean, you're not going to kick Taylor Swift out of bed for having a pimple on her ass (pimple, not festering boil or aids lesion ... that would be Malignant Marv)

Posts deleted by me.

P.S.  I like the Creamsicle unis with the orange jerseys and white pants.  Color burst is a scam by the NFL to sell more product and can go suck an egg until they come out with a 99 color burst.

Not an over abundance of pro bowl kickers in their prime on the waiver wire.

Nugent has missed more kicks than anyone in the NFL this season. Mostly easy kicks. He's cost them at least 1 win I can remember. Clearly it is in his head now.

While unrealistic we are still mathematically in the playoff mix. Sticking with a kicker who is struggling to make extra points because he's a good dude is too risky.

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

He ain't no human being

There is no future 

And Randy's dreaming

I am at a loss over what Randy is unless your referring to a show in Texas.   By the There is No Future is a highly appropriate lyric when he kicks.   Would rather have paid Chad Johnson to take Nugents place...   That would complete the circus... 

brown01.jpg

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

Great point, but the plus side may be that Nugent won't be the uncontested pre-season kicker next season and they will finally move on from him. But then again, he might be back.

this is about as impactful as the JT threads ten years ago.. we got kalib miller, kim herring, toast hawkins, and we had like 5 CUT JT threads... 

in any games where nugents misses were perhaps impactful, the other kicker missed too, while he had his XP struggles, they rarely had any effect what so ever. 

i have no issue bringing in another kicker, doing it with 3 games left stinks of front office doing shit to just do shit to appease a misguided-frustration fanbase. 

if we had decided to bring in one of the cut kickers who were previously great ones for a fresh shot, that would make sense, as you dont want to run that trial and error test next season. like a blair walsh type guy.

being even remotely excited about a mediocre career journeyman fill in kicker is pretty sad.

just seems like a waste of everyones time. im sure bullock likes the 100k he will make in the next three weeks. aside from that no one benefits at all.

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

this is about as impactful as the JT threads ten years ago.. we got kalib miller, kim herring, toast hawkins, and we had like 5 CUT JT threads... 

in any games where nugents misses were perhaps impactful, the other kicker missed too, while he had his XP struggles, they rarely had any effect what so ever. 

i have no issue bringing in another kicker, doing it with 3 games left stinks of front office doing shit to just do shit to appease a misguided-frustration fanbase. 

if we had decided to bring in one of the cut kickers who were previously great ones for a fresh shot, that would make sense, as you dont want to run that trial and error test next season. like a blair walsh type guy.

being even remotely excited about a mediocre career journeyman fill in kicker is pretty sad.

just seems like a waste of everyones time. im sure bullock likes the 100k he will make in the next three weeks. aside from that no one benefits at all.

In the Buffalo game he missed two XP's and we lost by 4 points. We had the ball at the end of the game and were in field goal range but need at TD to win, you can't tell me that Nugent didn't screw the Bengals in that game. Same for the Redskins game, sure their guy missed a few too but just because your competition makes mistakes doesn't mean you have to as well. 

They had to move on from Nuge, from a credibility standpoint. How could they justify keeping him on the roster when he kept making the same mistake? No team is carrying 2 kickers so he can't be benched, unfortunately for him and his family this was the only option. 

5 hours ago, Hooky said:

If you're going to add first half missed FGs and XPs up and say they would've won, you should really blame the offense for not scoring more TDs. They left more points on the field than 3 or 4 a game.

Yes, he sucked and didn't help his team much at all, but he didn't cost us the season.

I think most fans recognize and agree in the rationale that kicks don't really lose games. Not definitively. 

However, the possibility exists, and has to be at least considered, that Nugent's botches *might* have either directly resulted in one loss, or contributed mightily to a few. Context of score and momentum actually matter during the contest. Teams that play ahead in games win so much more frequently than not. 

If, as many are pointing out here, his ineptitudes (of which there were PLENTY) cost us 1.5 games (I happen to think there is no denying the tie with Washington is squarely on his shoulders), then, a reasonable argument could be made that he has cost us the position to control our own post season destiny. We haven't been a very good or consistent football team most of the season. The disheartening thing here is we look to have gained a modicum of momentum. The disappointment and "what if's" will only intensify if we happen to win out, beating both division leading rivals, and miss the playoffs. 

This franchise's inability to do the relatively simple things like cut a grossly underperforming placekicker, while being publicly adamant about their choice, only reemphasizes that we refuse to accept and apply conventional wisdom. Name another football team that would have let their kicker last six weeks enduring the bullshit performance Nugent provided. I honestly thought it was a clear indication of the white flag going up. 

Let me add this caveat and disclaimer: while I don't know Mike personally, I have watched him kick since high school. I watched him kick a sixty yarder at Centerville High School his senior year. He has been a great talent at his position for a long, long time. But, somewhere along the way he came off the rails. He would probably be the first person to tell you that he has long since justified continued employment with the Cincinnati Bengals. He would be right in saying so.

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

In the Buffalo game he missed two XP's and we lost by 4 points. We had the ball at the end of the game and were in field goal range but need at TD to win, you can't tell me that Nugent didn't screw the Bengals in that game. Same for the Redskins game, sure their guy missed a few too but just because your competition makes mistakes doesn't mean you have to as well. 

They had to move on from Nuge, from a credibility standpoint. How could they justify keeping him on the roster when he kept making the same mistake? No team is carrying 2 kickers so can't be benched, unfortunately for him and his family this was the only option. 

Exactly! 

It's not different from any other facet of the game: you hold court, perform your basic functions as expected or better, and you'll win football games. If you win because you're kicker out kicks the other team's, it's still a fucking win.

Archived