Bengals have released Mike Nugent.

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

this is about as impactful as the JT threads ten years ago.. we got kalib miller, kim herring, toast hawkins, and we had like 5 CUT JT threads... 

in any games where nugents misses were perhaps impactful, the other kicker missed too, while he had his XP struggles, they rarely had any effect what so ever. 

i have no issue bringing in another kicker, doing it with 3 games left stinks of front office doing shit to just do shit to appease a misguided-frustration fanbase. 

if we had decided to bring in one of the cut kickers who were previously great ones for a fresh shot, that would make sense, as you dont want to run that trial and error test next season. like a blair walsh type guy.

being even remotely excited about a mediocre career journeyman fill in kicker is pretty sad.

just seems like a waste of everyones time. im sure bullock likes the 100k he will make in the next three weeks. aside from that no one benefits at all.

This is flat-out untrue and is the very definition of "misguided". 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Nugent-thanks-Bengals-for-loyalty/52aae74b-0134-487c-bea8-182f36d5f84f?

Nugent thanks Bengals for loyalty
Posted 2 minutes ago

Geoff Hobson

Born to be a Bengal, Mike Nugent, the son of Bengals season-ticket holders, went out the only way he knew how. With a Freezer Bowl gust of class and a salute to his hometown team.

A day after head coach Marvin Lewis told him the Bengals had moved to a new kicker, Nugent texted a statement that reached out to everyone from Bengals president Mike Brown and his family to the fans to thank them “for allowing me to live my dream,” during his seven seasons with the team.

“Although this isn’t the way I expected to leave Cincinnati,  I know that in this business there comes a point where things need to change,” he wrote. “The support I’ve received from the owners, coaches and my teammates demonstrates how loyal the organization is and that they truly do treat their players like family.”

Before his game suddenly went awry in midseason with five missed extra points in the last five games, Nugent, 34, came from Bengals lore to become one of the best kickers in franchise history. Less than two months before he was born, his mother attended the 1981 AFC title game at Riverfront Stadium held in minus-59-degree wind chill.

“If you’re warm, the baby is warm,” the doctor told his mother a few days before the game and Nugent bounced out of Centerville High School and Ohio State to become the Bengals’ third-leading scorer of all-time in his fourth NFL stop.

“During this hard time I’m so thankful for all the great memories on and off the field that my family and I have experienced in Cincinnati,” Nugent texted.

“I was born and raised a Bengals  fan. I will always have love for the Cincinnati community and be proud to say that I was part of the Bengals organization. Thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout my time here and I wish you all the best in the future.”

13 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Always a classy guy, but its a results-oriented endeavor. Nugent will go on to live well and hopefully this team can find their own version of Justin Tucker. 

Preferably a version of Justin Tucker that's not a douche. 

On 12/14/2016 at 6:58 AM, High School Harry said:

Apologies for miscommunication, etc.  Actually agree with you in some cases.  Marvin should have been gone about five years into his contract for losing games he should have won and not just playoffs, losing them for the same stupid things he will continue to do this Sunday.  Time for Jones to throw in the jock but considering who else we have a cornerback he's about par for the course.  Burfict... if he was on one of the prima dona teams he would be an all pro.  Hill has no vision, runs to a pile of bodies and stands there rather than looking for a hole.  Replacements can't happen all at once and I don't see it happening, anyway, as long as Marv is still around.  Zero discipline or motivation from him and I dare say very little, if any, respect for him from the players. Whatever... you just came off sort of harsh (IMHO) and I do know you have posted some excellent stuff in the past.  I guess it was the "giving the Bengals my support again"; the ugly prom date analogy, "she might be ugly but she's mine".  I mean, you're not going to kick Taylor Swift out of bed for having a pimple on her ass (pimple, not festering boil or aids lesion ... that would be Malignant Marv)

Posts deleted by me.

P.S.  I like the Creamsicle unis with the orange jerseys and white pants.  Color burst is a scam by the NFL to sell more product and can go suck an egg until they come out with a 99 color burst.

No worries, and thanks for the reply.  I admittedly do have an odd way of expressing myself sometimes.

39 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Don't worry, he'll miss a few so that you can whine again.

I'm sure he will. I have no faith in this team to identify the right players. That's doesn't mean Nugent deserved to keep his job. When the team is an absolute disgrace, I prefer the whining from the fanbase to the pavlovian reactions we get from you. What Marvin talking point would you like to spit out tonight, Kenneth? Should I evaluate my own posting on this message board? Perhaps I have to go back and make some corrections... maybe I just have to keep shoveling...maybe I just have to keep continuing to try and put myself in position to make great posts here. I think I just have to keep going. Right now, it's looking partly cloudy though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is kind of funny...

Randy Bullock stats link...http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15091/randy-bullock

he plated for the giants in 1 game and beat the cowboys.

Next team he plays for is the Stealers against the giants he beat them.

then he plays for us vs the Stealers, which we lose.

Then he totally circles back and plays vs his long time old team the texans.

I wonder if any nfl play has ever played against 2 of the teams he was on in the same year but on different teams?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Nuge would have made the kick against Houston.

:ninja: 

Who knows if that's true.. which is the reason he was cut.  And what difference would it have made if he did make that kick? We were already eliminated, in no small part due to his flailing.

Yes I did see the ninja but since we're on the topic

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Who knows if that's true.. which is the reason he was cut.  And what difference would it have made if he did make that kick? We were already eliminated, in no small part due to his flailing.

Yes I did see the ninja but since we're on the topic

The bottom line is that if you had no intention to bring Nugent back next season, he needed to go. It just wouldn't make sense to not give another kicker a tryout at the end of the year. Bullock has failed as most expected. 

Archived