Patriots sign Michael Floyd

75North

The type of move the Bengals would get roasted for, although I'm interested to see if Brady turns him into a late-season hero.

Patriots claim Michael Floyd

Posted by Zac Jackson on December 15, 2016, 4:26 PM EST
Michael Floyd, Craig DahlAP

The Patriots claimed wide receiver Michael Floyd via waivers from the Cardinals on Thursday.

Floyd was cut by the Cardinals on Wednesday after being arrested on DUI charges earlier this week. All players are subject to the NFL’s waiver system after the trade deadline. That the Patriots got him means most of the league chose not to claim Floyd.

The Patriots take on what’s left of Floyd’s rookie contract, which expires at the end of the season.

Though Floyd’s numbers are down this season, he totaled 164 receptions and 17 touchdowns over the last three seasons. The Patriots have been playing without injured wide receiver Danny Amendola recently and placed tight end Rob Gronkowski on their injured reserve list earlier this month, so they likely see claiming Floyd as at least a chance to give him an up-close tryout and possibly as a potential fit for their offense during the postseason.

Floyd played in 13 games for the Cardinals this season, starting seven and catching 33 passes for 446 yards and four touchdowns.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/15/patriots-claim-michael-floyd/ 

I don't think he will do much. Malcolm Mitchell is coming on as an X receiver, Edelman is their main Z. Floyd wont be a slot guy. May give them a leg up to give him a short-term contract for next year. A move I wish the Bengals would have made.

10 hours ago, JC said:

I don't think he will do much. Malcolm Mitchell is coming on as an X receiver, Edelman is their main Z. Floyd wont be a slot guy. May give them a leg up to give him a short-term contract for next year. A move I wish the Bengals would have made.

Agree.

I saw where the Cards cut him and he was signed by the Patriots before I could post for comment.  Not sure what sort of suspension he may be facing, if any.  I thought he might be a nice rent-a-recever while AJ is out and an upgrade over Core or Wright.  I think Floyd was a former first round pick.  Sounds like the type of risk and player Father Marvigan would have taken.  I think it was stupid to pass on him in the waiver wire pecking order but I don't know what other baggage he had.  I also like the way the Cards stepped up and dumped the bad apple (for them) right away.  But would have liked to see him with us for a few games and brought to training camp next year to see if and how he would fit in.

I would've loved the Bengals to take a flier on him but, again, that's something they would've been blasted for by the media. The old "Bengals=criminals" narrative would be alive again....more that it still is. It never really went away completely; I see comments about Burfict and Jones all the time. The sad part is, Burfict has never been in trouble with the law. So you can imagine the backlash if they signed Floyd. I'm not saying any of that played a part in them not signing him or even giving him a sniff, but no one can really say it didn't. Because when he hit the waiver wire, you know somebody's ears perked up in Cincy's FO.

Yes but the difference is that teamslikethePatriots are a Classy Organization that Does Things the Right Way. Like cheating their way to Championships, for example.

Point being they could sign Dylann fuckin' Roof & the ESPNFL would find a way to spin it in their favor

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Interesting note I saw elsewhere. Is it possible that the Pats could just sign him, never play him and then let him walk and get a compensatory pick for him?

That's true, and they've done it before. Any production they get from Floyd for the rest of this season is just a bonus.

Sadly, the Bengals' FO doesn't think that far ahead. And therein lies the problem...one of them anyway.

Archived