Troubleshooting network issues

So I've got this strange issue.  I've lost my internet connection twice in about the last month.  I've rebooted my router, the modem, etc and that doesn't seem to resolve the problem.

I added a used 'HP Compaq Elite 8200' to my network (wired) and it is running linux mint.  I've reinstall mint on a brand new drive so I don't think there is anything specific about my install.  It does seem like when I unhook this machine that my internet issue resolves itself.

SInce I picked this up used....could this machine be trying to call home to a previous owner or something?  Is there security on it that I might be missing? 

So it only happens when this computer is plugged into the network? That seems odd. 

Another question, what kind and how old is your modem? I had an issue with my internet connection crapping out until I rebooted everything. Turned out that even though my modem was a DOCSIS 3, it wasn't a fast enough version for my internet connection. It as a 2x4 stream when it needed to be at least a 4x4 or 8x4. Bought one that runs at 12x4 and things have been tits ever since... 

I haven't had a chance to check if that is actually the cause.  It runs 24/7 and the internet has gone out 2 times.  Both times we had cold snaps so I thought the weather was causing it.  But then last night I rebooted the machine and things seemed to clear up.  Of course I didn't check the internet before I rebooted (it was out all day though).

I wonder if Mint could be doing something that is screwing things up.

Edit:  And of courses Charter has checked twice remotely and said that everything seems fine from their side (when they contact the modem).

• 2 weeks later...

what exactly is the setup currently?

Modem(what kind) > Router(what kind) > Wired to Compaq?

anything else ethernet hooked up? using a switch or hub of any kind? how many things on wifi? 

reason i went wired for most things was i had so much wireless shit in small areas it was fucking the internet but only wifi but i really only had wifi stuff.. so just random thoughts...

would seem very odd for an end using device to cause others to go down.. bad nic or not why would it effect stuff on wifi or on another ethernet port?

is is possible Plex is doing something?does it happen when using plex or whether plex is used or not? i asumme you arent using plex when its happening as you unplug it for fix, but figured id ask

So the setup is this - Charter/Optimum Modem (I need to look up the modem information) -> RT-AC68U Wireless Router -> Plex server is wired into this.  I've actually got another headless server that I've been running plex on as well.

I don't think it is plex (I'm not using plex with the issue occurs).I am slowly bringing back things online.  I wound up cleaning the drive and installing Xubuntu on this.  I let it run for two weeks attached and running (not doing anything).  I just installed Plex a couple of days ago and thought I'd give it a few days to see if there was any issues.

I did have a couple of network drives auto-mounted.  I wonder if that could have been causing the issue?  That will be my next test.  

• 4 months later...

Archived