Who gets benched, with an eye toward 2017

Not being paying attention too many individual performances off late, but how has DeShawn Williams been doing? And Shawn Williams?

Also Dansby is definitely past it. Vigil definitely needs to be a starter. He's already shown more in a few snaps than Maualuga has shown in 8 pro seasons. Peko should go in the offseason so we finally see what we have in the younger interior guys. Let Dennard and Jackson III openly battle our current starters for the CB spots. Let TJ Johnson battle Bodine for starting C spot. Make AJ McCarron starter over Andy Dalton (THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN BUT I CAN ONLY DREAM).

The decisions the Bengals make often seem illogical to me and make no sense.  I do agree with your benchees above because I think two of the three (Peko and Dansby) are on the way out, anyway.

I would like them to take a good look at Margus and decide if they are going to re-sign him, if he is worth it as a decent back up and special teams player.  The box score has him credited with three tackles.  One (at least) was on special teams and there was another where I think Carlos got credit for it (per the announcer at the game) when it was Margus who had the guy stopped cold.  He is disruptive and must be accounted for when in there but is that enough?  I like the guy and would like to see him stay but its make poopie or get off the pot time.

P.J. Dawson on the practice squad.  Bring him up, activate him, see what he can and can't do and decide if he is worth a roster spot next year.  He is a huge disappointment to me.  Expected a lot more out of him.

I liked Fisher at ORT yesterday.  Would like to see how Ced does at OLT.  I would also like to see waiver wire pick up and mystery man Westerman. 

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

Not really sure with this coaching staff...
Status quo anyone???

I like your suggestions though.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

I think the only coaching changes, unless Marvin retires (no way he will be fired), is if some other team hires one of our current coaches which I don't see happening.  Maybe Haslett goes somewhere via the Old Boy market but still think he is a dark horse to replace Marvin.

I think the only coaching changes, unless Marvin retires (no way he will be fired), is if some other team hires one of our current coaches which I don't see happening.  Maybe Haslett goes somewhere via the Old Boy market but still think he is a dark horse to replace Marvin.

Yea.. I don't think they are going anywhere either.. Thats why I said with this coaching staff it's probably status quo.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Defense:  Safeties are terrible.  And since they are signed for a a few more years this is annoying.  Linebackers need to be Burfict and Vigil.  Need to upgrade at Defensive End.  

Offense:  Rex needs to be resigned.  IMO he is our best back.  He's fast and explosive and he catches the ball.  Better than both Gio and Hill.   Trade Andy.  I don't dislike Andy but 

I'd rather go with AJ.  Andy is at what $18 million and I believe this is the year we can get out from under that or trade him.  Use the money to upgrade other places.   Like Offensive Line.

Draft/Free Agency:  If Offensive line isn't considered with Free Agency this is our number 1 pick.   Defensively it can be anywhere for all that matters.  Just get guys that can get to the QB.

Watching Ben yesterday with the time he had is absolutely destroying us. 

51 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Defense:  Safeties are terrible.  And since they are signed for a a few more years this is annoying.  Linebackers need to be Burfict and Vigil.  Need to upgrade at Defensive End.  

Offense:  Rex needs to be resigned.  IMO he is our best back.  He's fast and explosive and he catches the ball.  Better than both Gio and Hill.   Trade Andy.  I don't dislike Andy but 

I'd rather go with AJ.  Andy is at what $18 million and I believe this is the year we can get out from under that or trade him.  Use the money to upgrade other places.   Like Offensive Line.

Draft/Free Agency:  If Offensive line isn't considered with Free Agency this is our number 1 pick.   Defensively it can be anywhere for all that matters.  Just get guys that can get to the QB.

Watching Ben yesterday with the time he had is absolutely destroying us. 

I really do NOT want to turn this into yet another Andy thread but...

Heard a comment by one of the talking heads on the radio on the way home last night that the Patriots are built around Brady whereas the Bengals are built around A.J. Green.  Made some sense.  Without A.J., Andy is befuddled.  Not used to using a progression or looking for any other receiver.  One play yesterday, not sure if they showed it on TV, Bengals had three receivers on the right on the wide side of the field, one on the left.  Andy never took his eyes off the one guy on the right, the A.J. replacement and threw an incompletion on the sideline that went out of bounds.  All three on the left were far more open, the one in the middle was standing there by himself without a defender within five yards.  But Andy went for notA.J. without even looking at the other receivers.

Former Bengal (and other) quarterbacks will go through the progression and not lock in on one guy when they have time and the play is not a quick hitter.  He's coached that way, for sure, but give me a break.

Andy also throws consistently high where A.J. and Eifert can go up and get them.  Rarely do you see him hit a guy in the numbers.

Every team in the NFL and especially our division is on to Andy.

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Could we do the same thing for the coaching staff.  Bench Marvin and let someone else be HC for the next 2 weeks?

They could bring in another coach and just have Marvin sitting in a directors chair or on a bar stool a couple feet behind the 'back-up' head coach. He can still wear a head set just keep it unplugged he can listen to music or something. 

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I really do NOT want to turn this into yet another Andy thread but...

Heard a comment by one of the talking heads on the radio on the way home last night that the Patriots are built around Brady whereas the Bengals are built around A.J. Green.  Made some sense.  Without A.J., Andy is befuddled.  Not used to using a progression or looking for any other receiver.  One play yesterday, not sure if they showed it on TV, Bengals had three receivers on the right on the wide side of the field, one on the left.  Andy never took his eyes off the one guy on the right, the A.J. replacement and threw an incompletion on the sideline that went out of bounds.  All three on the left were far more open, the one in the middle was standing there by himself without a defender within five yards.  But Andy went for notA.J. without even looking at the other receivers.

Former Bengal (and other) quarterbacks will go through the progression and not lock in on one guy when they have time and the play is not a quick hitter.  He's coached that way, for sure, but give me a break.

Andy also throws consistently high where A.J. and Eifert can go up and get them.  Rarely do you see him hit a guy in the numbers.

Every team in the NFL and especially our division is on to Andy.

Maybe someone iut there isn't and will give us a number1 for a "playoff QB."  I honestly would rather go with McCarron.

2 hours ago, snarkster said:

Maybe someone iut there isn't and will give us a number1 for a "playoff QB."  I honestly would rather go with McCarron.

I would like to see more of him and the last two games are a perfect opportunity.  But ain't gonna happen.  Marvzilla does not want to be accused of quitting or throwing in the towel now that the playoff chances are off barring the entire rosters of the Squeels and Buzzards being thrown in prison or something. (no death wishes... poor taste and bad Karma).

However showcasing AJ "Way Better Than Dalton" McCarron would simply up his value in the free agent market and we aren't getting anything out of his departure, anyway.  I can see him going to Cleveland and beating us twice a year.

3 hours ago, snarkster said:

30 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I would like to see more of him and the last two games are a perfect opportunity.  But ain't gonna happen.  Marvzilla does not want to be accused of quitting or throwing in the towel now that the playoff chances are off barring the entire rosters of the Squeels and Buzzards being thrown in prison or something. (no death wishes... poor taste and bad Karma).

However showcasing AJ "Way Better Than Dalton" McCarron would simply up his value in the free agent market and we aren't getting anything out of his departure, anyway.  I can see him going to Cleveland and beating us twice a year.

^^^ Gotta love that autocorrect with McC's name  ?

9 minutes ago, saphead said:

Serious question, has AJ McCarron played in more than a game or 2 this season?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/texans-make-it-official-brock-osweiler-will-sit-and-tom-savage-will-make-first-career-start-210203463.html

How about this?  Texans benching $72 million Osweiler for Tom Savage against he Bengals.  And they are tied for first in the AFC south.  So who is that bad, Osweiler or our D?  Or are we so whiz poor they are giving the struggling Lee Harvey Osweiler Christmas off?

I am not impressed with Shawn Williams at all.
Don't understand why we gave him an extension.
He misses FAR TOO MANY tackles, takes bad angles, and is always out of position.
I'd rather see Josh Shaw in there

I'd like to see fejeldem get a shot.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Archived