UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

3 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I know a lot of us were clamoring for Mike Zimmer but the Vikings imploded this year and there was talk

of a mutiny by the Vikings CB's in yesterday's game.  I know they had some OL injuries but still.  

What happened was Xavier Rhodes thought he was smarter than Mike Zimmer and refused to implement coach Zimmer's game plan which was Rhodes playing man exclusively on Nelson.

Rhodes and the other dumbfuck CB decided they would do their own thing.

The result is I won the losers bracket of our FFL after Jordy got me 36 points.

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

Forbes is not wrong.   There were rumors from a  consistent source at the last home game.  There will be promotions from within but the head coaching position is being offered outside the organization.   Take it for what it's worth but knowing the source,  I consider it reliable.   Not sure how Forbes got ahold of the story but it's been out there for a while. 

arte.jpg

3 hours ago, Numbers said:

Forbes is not wrong.   There were rumors from a  consistent source at the last home game.  There will be promotions from within but the head coaching position is being offered outside the organization.   Take it for what it's worth but knowing the source,  I consider it reliable.   Not sure how Forbes got ahold of the story but it's been out there for a while. 

Who is the source?

Who else reported on it?

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

What happened was Xavier Rhodes thought he was smarter than Mike Zimmer and refused to implement coach Zimmer's game plan which was Rhodes playing man exclusively on Nelson.

Rhodes and the other dumbfuck CB decided they would do their own thing.

If I'm not mistaken that "other dumbfuck CB" was none other than Terence Newman

Here's a name for you:  Tom Coughlin.

Supposedly MB wanted him over Marv waaayy back in '03 but Katie convinced him otherwise.  Since then Tommy boy won two Super Bowls and his team generally was a playoff contender year to year.  Do I think he could have done as much as Marv did if he'd been hired here back then?  No.  Why?  Because he's a hard-ass and this team was NOT ready for a hard-ass.  Now?... I'm not so sure.  Zimmer did well here and he's a notorious hard-ass as well.  When the TV twits were interviewing Tommy boy back when we played the Giants he did NOT sound done IMO, and in fact his demeanour seemed to me to be barely restrained rage and eagerness to get back into the game.

We could do worse, but like many said already - I'll believe Marv is gone when it's done.

4 hours ago, Numbers said:

If the HC is external, but there will be "promotions" from within, you'd have to think one or both Coordinators would go in favor of another position coach.  Joseph HC?  Haslett replaces Guenther?  Urban replaces Zampese?).   Maybe a position assistant gets bumped up to position coach?  Just as long as Alexander goes.  Until I see something more concrete though, I'm not drinking the kool-aid.  I fully agree it's past time to shake things up.  I just don't think the Browns have the Stones.  I say, Joseph because if it's not someone from "within the family," I can't see how the Browns could be sure the someone (like Lil Shannahan for example) would sign on for it.  I'd think they'd want to pick there own staff (my preference, BTW - clean slate).

51 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Supposedly MB wanted him over Marv waaayy back in '03 but Katie convinced him otherwise.  Since then Tommy boy won two Super Bowls and his team generally was a playoff contender year to year.  Do I think he could have done as much as Marv did if he'd been hired here back then?  No.  Why?  Because he's a hard-ass and this team was NOT ready for a hard-ass.  Now?... I'm not so sure.  Zimmer did well here and he's a notorious hard-ass as well.  When the TV twits were interviewing Tommy boy back when we played the Giants he did NOT sound done IMO, and in fact his demeanour seemed to me to be barely restrained rage and eagerness to get back into the game.

We could do worse, but like many said already - I'll believe Marv is gone when it's done.

Not a name that excites me.  For starters, I think he'll be 71 on Opening Day next year.  I don't think any coaches in NFL history other than George Halas and Marv Levy have coached at age 70 or older. Furthermore, his career has pretty-much been made by two slightly-above-average Giants teams (based on records anyway) that got on rolls at the right time and won Super Bowls.  He won no more than 9 regular season games 6 of his last 7 seasons and 11 of his last 15.  

It's true that his Giants teams were annual playoff contenders until his last two seasons there, but I think he'd come closer to being Mediocre Marvin than Bill Belichick.

I doubt you'd ever get him out of the broadcast booth, but I'd love to see John Gruden here.  Two other names that would get my attention are Tony Dungy and (I'm going to throw up in my mouth as I type this) Bill Cowher.  Both are around 60, but like Gruden, I don't know if you'd ever get them out of the comfort of the booth.

Like others of you have already said, though, until we "know" that Marvin's gone, we may be wasting keystrokes even talking about it.

7 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Who is the source?

Who else reported on it?

Source is known from over 10 years ago.   I actually believe that I'm not the only person who talks to this person from this board.   Unless I'm remembering wrong,  Oldschooler has talked with this person before too.   I'm sure others have too which is probably why the story has been floating around for a while now.   I'm usually not the first person talked to about first hand rumors. 

2 minutes ago, Sigfox09 said:

Just a theory, but maybe mike brown made the call to hold out AJ Green knowing that he would need to recruit a new HC in the near future. If Green has a major injury prior to seasons end, the Bengals HC gig looks much less appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad theory at all.  Also noted that A.J. did not even stay with the team for the game (which I thought a tad unusual) but flew home to spend it with his wife and new born child.  Kind of a little ass kiss to keep A.J. happy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, really.  Nice gesture.

Long range forecast 43 degrees with AM showers.  Not impossible A.J. will be active and play just long enough to spell Cody Core (:ph34r:) and get the thirty-odd yards he needs for 1000.

15 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I know a lot of us were clamoring for Mike Zimmer but the Vikings imploded this year and there was talk

of a mutiny by the Vikings CB's in yesterday's game.  I know they had some OL injuries but still.  

That has always been the fear of Zimmer as a HC. He rubs a lot of guys the wrong way. He has at most of his stops, but when you are winning no one gives a shit or says anything. Now they aren't and he's got drama inside. Great dude, hard ass but a lot of the players now don't do well under a hard ass. Zimmer would have been a legendary coach if he head coached in the 90s or earlier. That kind of style just doesn't seem to work in the HC role now with the way players are coddled from HS to College to the NFL.

You have to baby newer employees in the regular business world now too. Everyone is just soft and adversely affected by anything other than praise.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Not a bad theory at all.  Also noted that A.J. did not even stay with the team for the game (which I thought a tad unusual) but flew home to spend it with his wife and new born child.  Kind of a little ass kiss to keep A.J. happy.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, really.  Nice gesture.

Long range forecast 43 degrees with AM showers.  Not impossible A.J. will be active and play just long enough to spell Cody Core (:ph34r:) and get the thirty-odd yards he needs for 1000.

That gesture was from Marvin not Mike though.

8 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Couglin didnt happen because he wanted more control and a bigger staff than Mike was willing to do.

Maybe Marvin getting the control he got and staff he eventually grew might be enough for Couglin now though.

15 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Couglin didnt happen because he wanted more control and a bigger staff than Mike was willing to do.

Maybe Marvin getting the control he got and staff he eventually grew might be enough for Couglin now though.

I thought I read somewhere Coughlin might be in Buffalo.

34 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Coughlin didn't get that control in New York though so I think he may have given up on that request. I don't mind Marvin. He has his faults as do 90% of HC's. I would get somewhat excited about Coughlin coming in though as long as he didn't get the control he wanted before. I'd prefer to bring in a guy that will assist in the growth of Dalton/Green/Boyd/Eifert and company though. I would love Jim Bob Cooter (who has really stepped Stafford's game up) or a young offensive mind looking for a HC gig (I know we would never be able to get McDaniels but it is a pipe dream).

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

Source is known from over 10 years ago.   I actually believe that I'm not the only person who talks to this person from this board.   Unless I'm remembering wrong,  Oldschooler has talked with this person before too.   I'm sure others have too which is probably why the story has been floating around for a while now.   I'm usually not the first person talked to about first hand rumors. 

Would you mind sharing what other proven information this source has revealed beforehand in the past?

1 hour ago, whodey365 said:

Come on now. Marvin will be back next year. He'll make the playoffs with an easier schedule. Lose first round and sign a 2 year extension after. 

This makes most sense hate to say. My dream would be that Minnesota fires Zimmer, Mike Brown promotes Marvin to GM cause truly he is good at getting talent but sucks as a HC. Make Zimmer HC. 

Archived