UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

On 12/26/2016 at 0:23 PM, Big Alice said:

I believe Marvin Lewis will be coaching the Jacksonville Jaguars next year.

Who will be at the helm of the Bengals? If I were handicapping it...

7/2 Mike Zimmer. I don't think the Vikings will fire him, but if they do, he's a lock.

4/1 Doug Marrone. Marvin Lewis would be a perfect hire for the Jags. If that happens, Marrone will be a highly sought after candidate.

5/1 Jim Bob Cooter. He has had as measurable an impact as any coordinator in recent memory. And, Mike Brown's last two hires have been defensive-minded guys. Odds are he won't go three in a row.

8/1 Paul Guenther. I don't like it, but if the Bengals are going to peg a guy that's currently on staff, Pauly G is it. The message would be, "Everything's working. We just need a couple tweaks".

10/1 Mike Smith. If Marvin Lewis is "moved upstairs" instead of fired, I think Mike Smith's chances go up significantly. Smith and Lewis have a lot of history together.

15/1 Vance Joseph. The Bengals obviously thought a lot of the guy, but his first year as a coordinator didn't go all that well.

20/1 Jon Gruden. He's got ties to the region, and he's approaching the age where if he's ever gonna do it, he's needs to make a move.

25/1 Jim Haslett. I think the in-house hire would be Guenther, but there's a room shot Haslett could be considered. This would mean a house cleaning was order, because the current staff probably wouldn't be real excited about getting leap frogged.

50/1 Brian Billick. I've never got the feeling he considers his coaching career "over".

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

I really dislike all of these choices because Gruden isn't coming back. If I had to choose, assuming no Gruden,

1. Brian Billick

2. Vance Joseph

3. Mike Zimmer

If we get Mike Smith I will throw up. After seeing him on Hard Knocks, he has no business being a HC.

I really hope he's back next season and proves all the doubters wrong.

If the game was only 3 quarters long we'd have won the division by a couple of games.

We'd be fighting close with the Stealers for the division if we had a healthy AJ green and a kicker that could make kicks.

I think we come back and win the division with ease next year especially with the draft picks we'll have to improve the team.

Here's to 1 more year of Marvin.

I have no idea who Numbers is sourcing, but as for Cooley (I live in Baltimore):

1. He's on the radio call team for Washington

2. He has a show on Dan Snyder's station (980 ESPN)

3. He is, therefore, awfully connected to, say, Jay Gruden

4. We know Guenther and Gruden remain tight buds, and that Gruden wanted Guenther for his d-coordinator when he took the job.  So, perhaps the connection that might make Cooley an interesting source is the connection between Gruden and Guenther, making it possible that Cooley has indeed heard something...

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:
I don't know how many times we can keep saying this or retweeting it. Lewis has already told us he's not retiring. https://twitter.com/JimOwczarski/status/813806752726654976

Considering this idiot has never broken a story in his life, I'd say he should hold off on the arrogance. Do these guys all turn into pissants when they get that beat?

Do any of you think MikeandKatie already have Marvin's replacement in the loop and are just waiting for Marv to fade slowly into the sunset to announce his signing?

I have no reason to believe this article is credible. Nobody else picked up on it at all.

I am still in fear of the Brown gang keeping Marvin!

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Honestly I don't think Marvin is going anywhere, but if he does leave one way or another, I want a coach from the outside.  Aggressive, and a competent game manager.  And I want him free to choose his own staff, who he keeps (if anyone) and who he fires.

He may not retire, but that doesn't mean he will be coaching in Cincinnati. And, as someone above alluded to, he won't even have to be fired to not be on Cincinnati's sideline...he is coaching the remaining game on his one-year contract, right? After that he is free to go as is the front office to name his successor.

16 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

He may not retire, but that doesn't mean he will be coaching in Cincinnati. And, as someone above alluded to, he won't even have to be fired to not be on Cincinnati's sideline...he is coaching the remaining game on his one-year contract, right? After that he is free to go as is the front office to name his successor.

He's got a year left on his contract. 

7 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He's got a year left on his contract. 

I thought he got a one-year extension last season, was that on top of an existing year contract?

Edit: my bad, yes, just did a little research. So, fuck, just move him to the front office absorb his salary on that level.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18359303

Source: Marvin Lewis won't retire, plans to coach Bengals next year

Marvin Lewis intends to return to the Cincinnati Bengals in 2017, a source close to Lewis told ESPN's Ed Werder, disputing a report that the longtime coach will retire at the end of this season.

Rumors have swirled about Lewis' future as the Bengals (5-9-1) close in on completing their first losing season since 2010.

Former Washington Redskins player and radio host Chris Cooley said Sunday on ESPN 980's "Cooley & Kevin" show that Lewis would leave the Bengals at the end of the season, citing "somebody I know in Cincinnati."

"The idea is that [Lewis] has been slowly packing up the office, though, slowly putting the pieces away so next Sunday, he can get home, have a little meeting and say, 'See ya, I'm going to spend some time in Arizona and play some golf,'" Cooley said.

The Bengals' playoffs chances ended with a 24-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Dec. 18 at Paul Brown Stadium. A 12-10 loss in Houston on Saturday night left them with their worst record since a 4-12 finish in 2010.

Despite receiving just a one-year extension in the offseason and enduring an unexpectedly poor start to the season, Lewis said in early December that he didn't fear for his job because he speaks to 81-year-old owner Mike Brown "every day."

Lewis had been the second-longest tenured coach in the NFL behind Bill Belichick in New England, having taken over the Bengals in 2003. The Bengals are missing the playoffs for the first time in six years.

ESPN's Katherine Terrell contributed to this report.

Archived