UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

38 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

From the sidelines, Chief, here is my perspective:

As you know, I used to blame MB for everything. That changed over the years. I have met several of the Brown family professionally (Katie being the best known), and at least from my perch, if you want a business to be run optimally, these folks have the goods. And that goes towards the "take chances" approach as well. They are all great business people, and much more NFL-knowledgeable than they appear in the papers.

All said, despite this season, this is still an upper eschelon operation. The playoff drought aside, tell me if the Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, or even the sainted fucking Stealers, have made the playoffs and won two division titles the past 5 years. 

I don't disagree that a coaching change isn't warranted. But if the present staff remains for 2017, I still will believe the team at its core is good enough to go all the way. Just one old guy's two cents.

The raiders were in position to get a first round bye before their QB got hurt and the cowboys are the number one seed who's prob gonna go 14-2. There was not enough improvement and growth from 2011 to 2016. Marvin will only lead a team so far. His apex is the number 3 seed and a first round defeat. If the world knows this already, how can it be justified that owner has the organization's best interests at heart by keeping Lewis?

On 12/28/2016 at 1:15 PM, Hooky said:

Marvin wouldn't have attempted a FG unless they got a lot closer.

19 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Great coaches do not set playoff futility records. 

Let me pose a scenario for you.

If back in January, 2003 you were told that as of 2016 the Bengals would still not have another playoff win, would you consider their coaching search to be a success or a failure?

I have to be honest with you, if I was told by a soothsayer that 14 years later, the Bengals would still not be able to win a game in the playoffs, I would have probably not have paid much attention over that span. This is not true progress. He helped make this team an NFL franchise again. I congratulate him. But success in professional sports is determined by winning when it matters most. He has been unprecedentedly bad at that. 

Shit happens and the past is the past, I like to look to the future and IMO our best chance to host the lombardi trophy next season is Keeping marvin lewis at the helm. 

31 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

The raiders were in position to get a first round bye before their QB got hurt and the cowboys are the number one seed who's prob gonna go 14-2. There was not enough improvement and growth from 2011 to 2016. Marvin will only lead a team so far. His apex is the number 3 seed and a first round defeat. If the world knows this already, how can it be justified that owner has the organization's best interests at heart by keeping Lewis?

Exactly, so you're going to sit here and tell me the raiders coaching staff failed, because of Carr getting hurt? Becuase that's pretty much what has happened to the bengals in almost every post season.

I firmly believe if dalton's dumbass didn't make that INT vs the Stealers that team would have won the superbowl last year.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

From the sidelines, Chief, here is my perspective:

As you know, I used to blame MB for everything. That changed over the years. I have met several of the Brown family professionally (Katie being the best known), and at least from my perch, if you want a business to be run optimally, these folks have the goods. And that goes towards the "take chances" approach as well. They are all great business people, and much more NFL-knowledgeable than they appear in the papers.

All said, despite this season, this is still an upper eschelon operation. The playoff drought aside, tell me if the Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, or even the sainted fucking Stealers, have made the playoffs and won two division titles the past 5 years. 

I don't disagree that a coaching change isn't warranted. But if the present staff remains for 2017, I still will believe the team at its core is good enough to go all the way. Just one old guy's two cents.

LT, good take and you know I respect your opinion. I believe that, as you said "They are all great business people, and much more NFL-knowledgeable than they appear in the papers."

That's where I see the problem... business is good, damn good... and they are satisfied with winning the division twice and making the playoffs 5 straight years.

Whereas I am grateful this happened, but will not be fully happy until we win the Super Bowl. I usually strive to be optimistic, but I don't believe we ARE good enough to go all the way in 2017 and see our window of opportunity closing my friend.

52 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

You by-passed the point. I used the Raiders and Cowboys as mere examples. But if we are going to focus on them--as well as the fucking Stealers--then you can't look at only this year of the past 5. 

Going by records, then Del Rio is shit from last season, and Garrett has been crap for the past 5. And St Bug-eyed Pointer missed the playoffs two years in a row during that stretch. So, by process of judgment, they too should be worthy of being sacked. 

Again, I am not saying that ML should not go. But each season is new and different, and should be reviewed from a going forward basis. Your opinion or mine, is not relevant to how the real evaluators evaluate.

50 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

You by-passed the point. I used the Raiders and Cowboys as mere examples. But if we are going to focus on them--as well as the fucking Stealers--then you can't look at only this year of the past 5. 

Going by records, then Del Rio is shit from last season, and Garrett has been crap for the past 5. And St Bug-eyed Pointer missed the playoffs two years in a row during that stretch. So, by process of judgment, they too should be worthy of being sacked. 

Again, I am not saying that ML should not go. But each season is new and different, and should be reviewed from a going forward basis. Your opinion or mine, is not relevant to how the real evaluators evaluate.

I'm talking  about teams who have had "really good" years. Achieving a top 2 seed in the playoffs is an incredible feat. Those teams have done it. Why in all those "good" seasons under Marvin has this team never achieved a bye week? They could have had one last year but Marvin and his incredible 2nd half adjustments gave the game away in Denver. They could have also  gotten one in 2005, but Marvelous couldn't get the team to prepared to play against an inferior Bills team on Christmas Eve. They could have gotten one in 2013, but yet again Marvin's team played like shit in the division, lost to Cleveland and imploded against the Bears. 

A team like Dallas has seized the moment. They have a rookie QB and an average defense, yet you don't see them giving games away, going on a bad 3 game stretch to bring them back to the pack.They lost to the Giants and they turned around and won 2 games against playoff-caliber teams. They win the games they should and they have clinched a number 1 seed. Congrats to them and congrats to Garrett (who has won a playoff game already as a coach). 

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

Exactly, so you're going to sit here and tell me the raiders coaching staff failed, because of Carr getting hurt? Becuase that's pretty much what has happened to the bengals in almost every post season.

I firmly believe if dalton's dumbass didn't make that INT vs the Stealers that team would have won the superbowl last year.

Then you're an idiot. They had the game in Denver. McCarron was playing great. Marvelous decided to get conservative in the second half. They were outscored 17-3 in the 2nd half and overtime. 

They should have beaten Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Why didn't they beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs? Because Marvelous's decided to let Butterfingers carry the ball with one hand and then his gang of miscreants decided to take two personal foul penalties to give the game away. And how did Burfict respond to that crisis point in his career? He showed up fat and out of shape to training camp. Yeah, I'd say he respects this coaching staff a ton. 

And lets not pretend that Dalton was going to carve up Pittsburgh's defense in that playoff game. He's 3-9 against the Stealers in his career and has a QB rating of 76.5. He's contributed 15 TD's and been sacked 20 times. 

As far as the motivations of Mike Brown (aside from avoiding an iron) I can't shake the impression that he views the Bengals as a charitable trust run by the Brown family that also stages football games on some weekends.  His "Redeemer" talk, the stuff about not firing people because of the impact on the family (only paid them $30 million over the last 5 years - how will they feed little Timmy?) Yes he wants to win, but win "his way" & when forced to choose.. The other owners all seem to hate him, and I think he relishes that.  Dude reeks of messiah complex. Well, no Hand of God is going to reach down from the sky and award his team a championship for his Good Boy Points.  All that stubbornness has done is made his team the designated whipping boy for the conduct policy or the CTE lawsuit or whatever comes next.  Need to make a point & protect that shield? Suspend a Bengal player.

I can only hope Katie doesn't run the team like a personal crusade.

Uhh, sure, because my 5,550 posts mean I'm hardly here....

Sorry if my opinion differs than yours because I can see the bigger picture or I'm not your typical fan who wants to bring in the shiny new turd. I mean seriously people want Josh Mcdaniels?????? my god that guys was a disaster in Denver. Marvin Lewis is by far the best choice for next year and I think Zimmer and hue could be options for 2018, I'll patiently wait for them over the availible unknown commodity crap that is out there.

Lolz.

Belichick was shit in his first NFL head coaching gig. I am sure he was never given a second chance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Then you're an idiot. They had the game in Denver. McCarron was playing great. Marvelous decided to get conservative in the second half. They were outscored 17-3 in the 2nd half and overtime. 

They should have beaten Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Why didn't they beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs? Because Marvelous's decided to let Butterfingers carry the ball with one hand and then his gang of miscreants decided to take two personal foul penalties to give the game away. And how did Burfict respond to that crisis point in his career? He showed up fat and out of shape to training camp. Yeah, I'd say he respects this coaching staff a ton. 

And lets not pretend that Dalton was going to carve up Pittsburgh's defense in that playoff game. He's 3-9 against the Stealers in his career and has a QB rating of 76.5. He's contributed 15 TD's and been sacked 20 times. 

Dude, this is seriously how you feel? Must be nice being an arm chair QB. Glad your down to name calling, but you obviously just proved my point. You're opinion is shit in my opinion. So how about we just disagree and move on.  

29 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Dude, this is seriously how you feel? Must be nice being an arm chair QB. Glad your down to name calling, but you obviously just proved my point. You're opinion is shit in my opinion. So how about we just disagree and move on.  

Armchair QB???????

these are facts that were evident to the entire fan base in the moment. Arm chair QB?? THOSE ARE DALTON'S STATS lol

my opinion is shit??? Your opinion is that a guy who hasn't won a playoff game in 14 seasons is primed to make a super bowl run next year, coming off of a likely 5-10-1 season. 

Yep, my opinion is shit...

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Armchair QB???????

these are facts that were evident to the entire fan base in the moment. Arm chair QB?? THOSE ARE DALTON'S STATS lol

my opinion is shit??? Your opinion is that a guy who hasn't won a playoff game in 14 seasons is primed to make a super bowl run next year, coming off of a likely 5-10-1 season. 

He's right, you know. (Morgan Freeman voice)?

17 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Armchair QB???????

Yes, you and the entire fan base wanted to fire Marvin the last time we picked in the top 10, then we drafted AJ and Dalton. I think this ship turns around and in a Dn good way. We're going to draft a complete stud on defense and improve this o line. This team will win big next season. I'm confident. 

On 12/31/2016 at 1:27 AM, Bleeds Orange said:

What I took from that article:  Be happy with 11-5 or 10-6 (or 5-10-1 in the case of 2016) and an annual playoff embarrassment and be thankful you're not 3-13 every year like you deserve to be. 

Pretty much.  Mike Brown is cheap ... no indoor practice facility ... Flutter (aka Fulcher after autocorrect) and the Coke machine ...

Been away for a day and missed most of the popcorn inducing replies but ... focus.gif ...

That for me being Marvin is not a good coach and should be gone after this season.  I know he will not be, but he should.  Time for fresh blood in the coaching ranks and a change in direction, attitude and approach.  Line speed up the freakin' offense.  Take the full time off the clock and still call a time out.  No halftime adjustments.  Urine poor clock management.  The blasé blasé attitude and approach to the game and motivation.  

I do not want to wait until next year (but realize I will have to) because if the team does show a pulse, Marvswaggle will get yet another extension.

Right now I honestly think he has more to do with the running of the team and personnel decisions than MikeandKatie.  He just does what he wants (his son is a coach?  On what merit or experience?) and knows they won't do anything about it for political reasons.

14 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Yes, you and the entire fan base wanted to fire Marvin the last time we picked in the top 10, then we drafted AJ and Dalton. I think this ship turns around and in a Dn good way. We're going to draft a complete stud on defense and improve this o line. This team will win big next season. I'm confident. 

Lolz...

On 12/30/2016 at 8:24 PM, SocalBengalEd said:

Come on guys.  We are so close.  Let's give Marvin one more year I can feel it.  This is our year.  Nevermind what has happened the last 14 years.  This year will be different!

Close to the #1 overall draft pick and getting closer every day.  Next year will be our year!  :D

On 12/30/2016 at 1:33 PM, Le Tigre said:

And you can't simply use 5 years since Martin has been here longer. Since Marvin has been the coach, Pittsburgh has won 4 AFC Championship and 3 Superbowls.

Oakland and Dallas have sucked and if the narrative is that we have been better than them,..so what.

Finally, this team does not have the players to make any type of deep run.  The oline is  not very good, our pass rush is weak and our secondary is a old train wreck waiting to happen.  We lost a lot of games this year because we are not good.

On 12/30/2016 at 1:33 PM, Le Tigre said:

And you can't simply use 5 years since Marvin has been here longer. Since Marvin has been the coach, Pittsburgh has won 4 AFC Championship and 3 Superbowls.

Oakland and Dallas have sucked and if the narrative is that we have been better than them,..so what.

Finally, this team does not have the players to make any type of deep run.  The oline is  not very good, our pass rush is weak and our secondary is a old train wreck waiting to happen.  We lost a lot of games this year because we are not good

Archived