UPDATE: Marvin Lewis Should Have Been Fired Upon End Of Disappointing Season

20 minutes ago, Rumble In the Jungle said:

This makes most sense hate to say. My dream would be that Minnesota fires Zimmer, Mike Brown promotes Marvin to GM cause truly he is good at getting talent but sucks as a HC. Make Zimmer HC. 

I imagine Zimmer gets fired next year but no thanks. Don't want him being a head coach here. He's meant to be a DC. And for those that hate Marvin, Zimmer has the same mindset, style and his defenses had the same errors that people are bitching about still. If they are going to fire Marvin then they need to go outside and completely different from the last 14 years.

I believe Marvin Lewis will be coaching the Jacksonville Jaguars next year.

Who will be at the helm of the Bengals? If I were handicapping it...

7/2 Mike Zimmer. I don't think the Vikings will fire him, but if they do, he's a lock.

4/1 Doug Marrone. Marvin Lewis would be a perfect hire for the Jags. If that happens, Marrone will be a highly sought after candidate.

5/1 Jim Bob Cooter. He has had as measurable an impact as any coordinator in recent memory. And, Mike Brown's last two hires have been defensive-minded guys. Odds are he won't go three in a row.

8/1 Paul Guenther. I don't like it, but if the Bengals are going to peg a guy that's currently on staff, Pauly G is it. The message would be, "Everything's working. We just need a couple tweaks".

10/1 Mike Smith. If Marvin Lewis is "moved upstairs" instead of fired, I think Mike Smith's chances go up significantly. Smith and Lewis have a lot of history together.

15/1 Vance Joseph. The Bengals obviously thought a lot of the guy, but his first year as a coordinator didn't go all that well.

20/1 Jon Gruden. He's got ties to the region, and he's approaching the age where if he's ever gonna do it, he's needs to make a move.

25/1 Jim Haslett. I think the in-house hire would be Guenther, but there's a room shot Haslett could be considered. This would mean a house cleaning was order, because the current staff probably wouldn't be real excited about getting leap frogged.

50/1 Brian Billick. I've never got the feeling he considers his coaching career "over".

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

3 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

Who will be at the helm of the Bengals? If I were handicapping it...

7/2 Mike Zimmer. I don't think the Vikings will fire him, but if they do, he's a lock.

4/1 Doug Marrone. Marvin Lewis would be a perfect hire for the Jags. If that happens, Marrone will be a highly sought after candidate.

5/1 Jim Bob Cooter. He has had as measurable an impact as any coordinator in recent memory. And, Mike Brown's last two hires have been defensive-minded guys. Odds are he won't go three in a row.

8/1 Paul Guenther. I don't like it, but if the Bengals are going to peg a guy that's currently on staff, Pauly G is it. The message would be, "Everything's working. We just need a couple tweaks".

10/1 Mike Smith. If Marvin Lewis is "moved upstairs" instead of fired, I think Mike Smith's chances go up significantly. Smith and Lewis have a lot of history together.

15/1 Vance Joseph. The Bengals obviously thought a lot of the guy, but his first year as a coordinator didn't go all that well.

20/1 Jon Gruden. He's got ties to the region, and he's approaching the age where if he's ever gonna do it, he's needs to make a move.

25/1 Jim Haslett. I think the in-house hire would be Guenther, but there's a room shot Haslett could be considered. This would mean a house cleaning was order, because the current staff probably wouldn't be real excited about getting leap frogged.

50/1 Brian Billick. I've never got the feeling he considers his coaching career "over".

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Ugh to those names. I'd prefer Shanahan but my guess would be the job is Joseph's if he wants it. If he doesn't, I could see Teryl Austin as a dark horse and I would hate it. I'd like an offensive minded coach who hires a known quantity as a DC. Kinda like what Denver has now. 

2 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Would you mind sharing what other proven information this source has revealed beforehand in the past?

Palmer scandal,  Jet's game plan during playoff game,  injuries that exist within certain players,  why certain players wear special made cleats,  appearance of certain coaches for RB workouts ( a few years ago not recent  ), etc...  Most if not all has been near flawless information.   The Palmer scandal has still not been clarified but does need all sides to come clean before the truth is exposed.   I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

I imagine Zimmer gets fired next year but no thanks. Don't want him being a head coach here. He's meant to be a DC. And for those that hate Marvin, Zimmer has the same mindset, style and his defenses had the same errors that people are bitching about still. If they are going to fire Marvin then they need to go outside and completely different from the last 14 years.

Explain what is consistent between Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer where it pertains to mindset and style. 

Please tell us what you have seen that suggests *any* similarities.

35 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

Don't agree.  (respectfully)  I think the rest of the NFL see much the same or more than we do of Marvin.  He's a paper (Bengal) tiger.

As an afterthought, I think he has "broadcast booth" written over him especially when you look at some of the other crap in there.  Heaven knows Marvin can certainly talk.  So my vote is Monday Night Marvin.

16 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Palmer scandal,  Jet's game plan during playoff game,  injuries that exist within certain players,  why certain players wear special made cleats,  appearance of certain coaches for RB workouts ( a few years ago not recent  ), etc...  Most if not all has been near flawless information.   The Palmer scandal has still not been clarified but does need all sides to come clean before the truth is exposed.   I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

I appreciate and value your input and respect your not revealing your source.  I would not ask, anyway, and would prefer other posters let it go, too.

My question... (no need to respond) is which Palmer scandal?  The one about the alleged affair or the reason for him leaving?

I think he left because of Marvin.  He saw and probably with the advice of his manager or accountant that Marvin was going to take this team nowhere and get him killed in the process.  Going with the "football is a business" (hello, MikeandKatie) aspect, it was for Carson's best business (and health) interests to get away from Marvin either by Marv going or him.  While not connected sources, a lot of my Joe Baggadonuts friends say the same thing.  And, yes, part of my long dislike of Marv comes from this.  

17 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I appreciate and value your input and respect your not revealing your source.  I would not ask, anyway, and would prefer other posters let it go, too.

My question... (no need to respond) is which Palmer scandal?  The one about the alleged affair or the reason for him leaving?

I think he left because of Marvin.  He saw and probably with the advice of his manager or accountant that Marvin was going to take this team nowhere and get him killed in the process.  Going with the "football is a business" (hello, MikeandKatie) aspect, it was for Carson's best business (and health) interests to get away from Marvin either by Marv going or him.  While not connected sources, a lot of my Joe Baggadonuts friends say the same thing.  And, yes, part of my long dislike of Marv comes from this.  

The affair and result of the affair are a substantial part of him leaving.   At the time I was disgusted by him but once I realized that  everyone makes mistakes I no longer carry the disgust in my heart. 

47 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Well color me intrigued. Thanks for the input. 

5 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

That has always been the fear of Zimmer as a HC. He rubs a lot of guys the wrong way. He has at most of his stops, but when you are winning no one gives a shit or says anything. Now they aren't and he's got drama inside. Great dude, hard ass but a lot of the players now don't do well under a hard ass. Zimmer would have been a legendary coach if he head coached in the 90s or earlier. That kind of style just doesn't seem to work in the HC role now with the way players are coddled from HS to College to the NFL.

You have to baby newer employees in the regular business world now too. Everyone is just soft and adversely affected by anything other than praise.

Did he have many issues with his Bengals players?  Don't remember of hearing about any.

Been a fan since the inception (Virgil Carter used to be my favorite Bengal).  :D  I've stuck it out for a lot of really lean years.  I said earlier in this thread that I had serious doubts about this rumor, but I swear, if Marvin returns next season, I'm gonna have a lot of trouble generating ant enthusiasm for 2018.  It's past time for a different direction.  Just hope the Browns are up to the task.

6 hours ago, Numbers said:

The affair and result of the affair are a substantial part of him leaving.   At the time I was disgusted by him but once I realized that  everyone makes mistakes I no longer carry the disgust in my heart. 

What bothered me was that he's happy to let people go on thinking it was some kind of moral stand against the organization when the truth is he simply couldn't keep it in his pants.

17 hours ago, snarkster said:

Did he have many issues with his Bengals players?  Don't remember of hearing about any.

Outside of a couple (no one can keep 21-24 guys all happy) nope. But they were also pretty successful and almost always winning. Hard to complain or try to go against if you are successful.

18 hours ago, Numbers said:

The result of the affair was a bastard child, correct? Someone alluded to it awhile ago IIRC. I'm a little surprised that one hasn't leaked into the media via the Bengals yet, especially when he was doing his appearances before that night game last year talking about how he and the organization weren't on the same page and it had to do with Shaelyn leaving and never coming back.

2 hours ago, JC said:

The result of the affair was a bastard child, correct? Someone alluded to it awhile ago IIRC. I'm a little surprised that one hasn't leaked into the media via the Bengals yet, especially when he was doing his appearances before that night game last year talking about how he and the organization weren't on the same page and it had to do with Shaelyn leaving and never coming back.

Yeah like someone is going to threaten divorce & custody of the children over her husband's philosophical differences with an offensive coordinator. It's pretty damned obvious he fucked up somehow but Terminal Bengals Fan was more than happy to blame Mike Brown.

Unless the plan is that ML will be moved upstairs, given some other role or simply wanting a break from coaching, I still think Marvin is HC next year. He has another year on the contract and soP doesn't like double paying for coaches as it goes directly against profit. And, there is a lot of respect between the two so I just don't see a firing.

If it does happen, I doubt we get Zimmer or promote from within. Rather, I see them giving an outside coordinator a shot at HC. And because it is the right thing to do, strong consideration given to a minority coach.

I still don't see Gruden coming back unless it's unbelievable, insane guaranteed money. He risks hurting his cred and brand as authoritative announcer/TV personality. Anyone advising him would have to urge him not to return to the sidelines. John Madden never needed to return and did quite well for many years even beyond announcing.

Archived