Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montana Bengal

Guenther says he’s ‘absolutely’ staying with Bengals

Recommended Posts

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/guenther-says-absolutely-staying-with-bengals/ry3RxHRwQaMFl1VhhyuX8H/

Quote

 

Guenther says he’s ‘absolutely’ staying with Bengals

Jay Morrison  Staff Writer

CINCINNATI
A second Cincinnati Bengals coach has refuted the weekend report by former Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley, with defensive coordinator Paul Guenther saying he would “absolutely” be back next year.

“I’m under contract here for next year,” Guenther said. “I don’t know about Cooley.”

Cooley had said on ESPN 980 in Washington that head coach Marvin Lewis will resign at the end of the season and that Guenther would be joining the Redskins staff under head coach and good friend Jay Gruden.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course he wants to stay. Why wouldn't he or Marvin with no pressure to succeed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guenther isn't a primary issue to me. The defense played well for most of the season. I would like to see a younger pass rusher and an athletic linebacker added to the mix. My only issue with Guenther is that his blitz schemes dont seem to work out well. They are too slow to develop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I look forward to more 9-man blitzes on 3rd & 20

Can he please have Pacman play even further off his man on a 3rd and 5 or actually any down and distance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Coyle has to go.  Players don't like him...openly complain about him.  Guenther is a good coach who players like and respect.  Coyle...not so much   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Khatmandude said:

Kevin Coyle has to go.  Players don't like him...openly complain about him.  Guenther is a good coach who players like and respect.  Coyle...not so much   

Which is a weird situation because Joseph, Leon and company LOVED Coyle. Maybe the newer guys hate him because he is trying to change things (which need to be changed).

Guenther is a damn good coach though. He did a lot of the work for Zimmer as far as scheme and everything yet somehow people hate Guenther and love Zimmer. He also really helped Burfict grow and help us get by with some really piss poor other LBs over the recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:32 AM, Jason said:

Guenther is one of the better coaches on this team.

Good god the bar is low

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hint of Snow said:

Good god the bar is slow

No, Guenther is a good coach.

#2 scoring defense in the league last year, and fewest points we have ever given up in 16 games.  And the defense has played very well in the second half this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guenther is a very good coach...WIth a limited pass rush he had our D play well in the s3econd half of the season. and he is responsible for Burfict's development. AT least he coaches with some passion...I would have liked to see Vance Joesph stay on with him. He was a big loss for sure Coyle cannot compare with him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Guenther is a very good coach...WIth a limited pass rush he had our D play well in the s3econd half of the season. and he is responsible for Burfict's development. AT least he coaches with some passion...I would have liked to see Vance Joesph stay on with him. He was a big loss for sure Coyle cannot compare with him...

In fairness, the second half of the season has consisted of NYG, Houston, Cleveland, Baltimore x2, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia.

Stopping Pitt is impressive. The other teams just don't have prolific offenses this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point but he has done a good job with the talent he's got. We obviously need another LB or two and a good pass rusher....and after warching Dalvin Cook tonight I really do hope we draft him...He's special...and would reall;y give our offense a boost...We also need another WR opposite AJ that can stretch the field...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Good point but he has done a good job with the talent he's got. We obviously need another LB or two and a good pass rusher....and after warching Dalvin Cook tonight I really do hope we draft him...He's special...and would reall;y give our offense a boost...We also need another WR opposite AJ that can stretch the field...

To me, they need a pass rush, first and foremost. Second, they need playmakers on defense. Lance McCalister had a stat that shows the Bengals have finished no better than 27th (or something like that) in the league in forced fumbles since 2011. The defense's inability to set up the offense in short field situations is a big problem for this team. 

To me, if Peppers is there, you take him. If not, you gotta find a DL or a LB who can make game changing plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

To me, they need a pass rush, first and foremost.

 

It's a passing league though, which means offensive holding is routinely ignored.  There's a reason our DL disappears in "big games".   Maybe you'd rather believe Dunlap & Atkins roll out of bed and suddenly suck for no good reason but after watching them get tackled over and over it seems obvious to me the refs are dictating the tempo of games and trying to keep scores close until the 4th quarter. When a team goes up by 10+ the flags come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

It's a passing league though, which means offensive holding is routinely ignored.  There's a reason our DL disappears in "big games".   Maybe you'd rather believe Dunlap & Atkins roll out of bed and suddenly suck for no good reason but after watching them get tackled over and over it seems obvious to me the refs are dictating the tempo of games and trying to keep scores close until the 4th quarter. When a team goes up by 10+ the flags come out.

I know. Everything is a conspiracy against the Bengals. So ridiculous. Whatever helps you sleep at night, man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't conspiracy against the Bengals, it is routinely widespread throughout the league. Watch a random game tomorrow and be enlightened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

It isn't conspiracy against the Bengals, it is routinely widespread throughout the league. Watch a random game tomorrow and be enlightened.

Here we go again...

Buffalo, Minnesota, and Arizona are in the top 5 this season in sacks. Does the league do them special favors?

 

Shall we go on?

Offensive holding penalties this season:

The Bengals have been called for the 10th most (16) offensive holding penalties this season. They have been the beneficiary of 16 offensive holding calls. That puts them even. 

Baltimore has been called for the most offensive holding penalties this season (33). They have been the beneficiary of 15 offensive holding calls. That puts them at -18. 

Oakland has also been called for the most offensive holding penalties this season (33). They have been the beneficiary of 25 offensive holding calls. That puts them at -8.

Dallas has been called for the 2nd most offensive holding penalties this season (29). They have been the beneficiary of 17 offensive holding penalties. That puts them at -12.

New England has been called for the 4th most offensive penalties this season (24). They have been the beneficiary of 23 offensive holding calls. That puts them at -1. 

Pittsburgh has been called for the 5th most offensive holding penalties this season (22). They have been the beneficiary of 25 offensive holding calls. That puts them at +3.

 

By golly, do I smell a conspiracy here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently the difference between when penalties are called and their total number still escapes you.. Whatever, enjoy your integrity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Apparently the difference between when penalties are called and their total number still escapes you.. Whatever, enjoy your integrity

It wouldn't escape me if you provided actual proof of evidence. I try to use stats to further my arguments. You say things and then ask everyone else to believe it. If the Bengals are being jobbed, show me the data that proves it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

It wouldn't escape me if you provided actual proof of evidence. I try to use stats to further my arguments. You say things and then ask everyone else to believe it. If the Bengals are being jobbed, show me the data that proves it. 

 

We're talking about the refs ignoring holding calls to drive scoring, not the Bengals getting jobbed.  When I say the refs are throwing flags to keep games from turning into blowouts early and you respond with the number of penalties total, it's clear you don't understand what's being said.  As far as the Bengals go, if you watched last year's Wild Card game and still think there's no bias there's no convincing you otherwise.  I suppose Burfict is an out-of-control thug that deserved to be suspended 4 games and Mitchell is a tough player for a classy, classy franchise that does things the right way.  You've got your eyes closed and your hands over your ears, screaming "SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE I DON'T SEE ANY EVIDENCE WARGLBARGL!!"

So, yknow.. OK then.  I'm not trying to convince you or "everyone".  I get the impression most people accept the NFL is corrupt to some degree, but I try not to make statements for "people" like I speak for anyone but myself. That "Appeal to Majority" nonsense etc, you should probably avoid that in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...