Do we trade McCarron?

5 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

http://overthecap.com/player/aj-mccarron/3103/

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/5/22/5742832/a-j-mccarron-and-contract-details-with-cincinnati-bengals

4 year contract.  2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.  You just proved it in your own post.  

An accrued season is a player in six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists.

McCarron hasn't ever NOT been on the Bengals roster in ANY season.  Doesn't matter if he was "inactive" or on "injured/reserve" or "pup". 

He wasn't on the roster his rookie year. That's why he only has 2 accrued seasons but the rest of his class has 3. I can't remember if he came in with an injury or was on the practice squad. But I am pretty sure his rookie year did not accrue. 

Per Wikipedia

2014 season[edit]

On May 22, 2014, the Cincinnati Bengals signed him to a 4-year, $2.4 million contract with a $181,652 signing bonus.[42]

In August 2014, the Bengals placed McCarron on the reserve/non-football injury list due to shoulder soreness, meaning that he would miss at least the first six weeks of the 2014 season.[43] With Andy Dalton entrenched as the starting quarterback for the Bengals, and veteran Jason Campbell as his backup, the Bengals did not plan for McCarron to see significant playing time during his rookie season.[43]

On December 9, 2014, McCarron was activated after Vontaze Burfict was placed on Injured Reserve.[44]

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/aj_mccarron_gets_off_reserve_l.html

There is some detail. He came in with the non football injury designation. He was on none of those lists. 

I'd say you were correct!  I saw that article you posted while I was digging and found this as well.  

Accrued Seasons Calculation: A player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a non-football injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

28 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I'd say you were correct!  I saw that article you posted while I was digging and found this as well.  

Accrued Seasons Calculation: A player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a non-football injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

Awesome. It is one of the most confusing things I have seen before. Good for us. No rush to trade him this offseason. We can just tender him a very Bengal Friendly number next offseason and hope someone signs him. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Awesome. It is one of the most confusing things I have seen before. Good for us. No rush to trade him this offseason. We can just tender him a very Bengal Friendly number next offseason and hope someone signs him. 

It is confusing shit.  I figured he still accrued a season his rookie year even though he wasn't active.  

Ok heres whats going to happen if we trade McCarron. If we would get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him we would end up drafting another QB in the 3rd or 4th round. All were doing is trading a experienced backup making little money for an inexperienced QB making little money. We hold onto McCarron and let him walk we likely receive a 3rd or 4th rd compensation pick for him. I would only consider it if its for a 2nd pick. If not it would be stupid to do so. Were already likely seeing a 4th 5th and 6th rd picks for compensation for this year. 2nd rd pick or just keep him.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ok heres whats going to happen if we trade McCarron. If we would get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him we would end up drafting another QB in the 3rd or 4th round. All were doing is trading a experienced backup making little money for an inexperienced QB making little money. We hold onto McCarron and let him walk we likely receive a 3rd or 4th rd compensation pick for him. I would only consider it if its for a 2nd pick. If not it would be stupid to do so. Were already likely seeing a 4th 5th and 6th rd picks for compensation for this year. 2nd rd pick or just keep him.

Yeah but didn't they snag Jeff Driskel from the 49ers to step in? Driskel was a the sixth round pick in 2016. I assume the bengals liked him before the draft. I mean why would they keep him on the roster unless they saw something? The McCarron situation did not just happen and they jumped at the chance when he was let go.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jhowdy54 said:

I'd ask for a 2nd, but take a 3rd. Anything lower than a 3rd is just not worth it.

Are there any other instances where a backup was traded for a pick? I'm sure there is. I know Schaub was traded for a 2nd round pick many years ago. 

Bradford was traded for a ton. Average starter at best.

Osweiller showed less in less starts than McCarron and was paid a shitload.

With a weak qb draft class I can see a team overpaying for him.

11 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Are there any other instances where a backup was traded for a pick? I'm sure there is. I know Schaub was traded for a 2nd round pick many years ago. 

Bradford was traded for a ton. Average starter at best.

Osweiller showed less in less starts than McCarron and was paid a shitload.

With a weak qb draft class I can see a team overpaying for him.

I'm pretty sure Osweiler started 7 games whereas McCarron only started 3 and the 1 playoff game. 

As far as backups being traded I guess you could say Favre was a backup in Atlanta when he was 

traded to Green Bay for a 1st round pick.  Rams traded Trent Green who I think was the backup for

Warner to KC for a 1 rounder.  

20 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I'm pretty sure Osweiler started 7 games whereas McCarron only started 3 and the 1 playoff game. 

As far as backups being traded I guess you could say Favre was a backup in Atlanta when he was 

traded to Green Bay for a 1st round pick.  Rams traded Trent Green who I think was the backup for

Warner to KC for a 1 rounder.  

Looks like AJ started 3 regular season games but came in and played most of 1 game when Andy got hurt. Plus the playoff game. So like a 5 game sample.

Pretty small sample size. But you have the preseason tape to look at as well.

McCarron has made it known that he wants to compete for a starting job, with that said there is absolutely ZERO chance the Bengals will be able to re-sign him. He will become a FA at the end of next year, wasnt highly regarded coming out of college (game manager tag) and doesnt have a ton of NFL film out there so I see ZERO chance he commands anything more than a 3rd-4th round pick in return. McCarron's value is being overblown by Bengals fans/Dalton haters. He is a very capable backup QB, he is not a legit starter imo. 

FWIW Peter King said in an interview in early 2016 (After the playoff game) that McCarron's value was possibly a 1st round pick.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=14993088

How much has changed since then with him not playing this season IDK. I can't see it affecting his stock much. He hasn't been hurt, arrested or had bad games (because he didn't play).

Now I highly doubt we get a 1st round pick for him, unless someone is super desperate and loves him. But I don't think a 2nd round pick is out of the realm of possibility.

32 minutes ago, NASTYNATI said:

McCarron has made it known that he wants to compete for a starting job, with that said there is absolutely ZERO chance the Bengals will be able to re-sign him. He will become a FA at the end of next year, wasnt highly regarded coming out of college (game manager tag) and doesnt have a ton of NFL film out there so I see ZERO chance he commands anything more than a 3rd-4th round pick in return. McCarron's value is being overblown by Bengals fans/Dalton haters. He is a very capable backup QB, he is not a legit starter imo. 

We were offered a 2nd and a 4th last year per Dehner. He is a restricted free agent next year and the tender will be a friendly 1 year backup QB deal. That number was 3.63 million last year. Won't be exponentially higher in 2018. We can afford to keep him around a year and tender him and see if people bid. its the best play without a doubt. Put him on the market this year, if you get nothing keep him out there for a year. 

32 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Bengals were offered a 2nd and 4th last year.  Wanted a 1st and 4th so they did not pull the trigger.  So a market does exist for him and it sounds like the Benglas have set their asking price.

According to Lapham

I Wonder if that's changed at all. I guess it depends on what QB needy teams have what picks. I'd figure Cleveland, Chicago, San Fransisco and Buffalo. Maybe the Jets or Texans? Anyone else?

There's also Romo and Garoppolo who'll probably be dealt. Might not be that much of a market.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'm surprised we turned down a 2nd and 4th. Who offered it? If it was the Browns, it was especially dumb to turn them down since they drafted so high in each round. 

Mike Brown will not do ANYTHING to help the team that broke his dad's heart get better.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Mike Brown will not do ANYTHING to help the team that broke his dad's heart get better.

Agree.  Its MikeandKatiethink.  Two of the very best things for the Bengals for 2017 would be trading McCarron and firing Marvin.  Therefore, they will do neither.

Add getting rid of Peko and Spitman may have taken himself out of the picture.

You don't improve  by standing pat with the mediocre and worse players on this team.  And the coaches are even worse.  Next year's schedule may provide a classic dead cat bounce that will be hailed as a Blessing from St. Marvin of the Holy Ho-Hum.

Archived