Ok so why can't Rex be the starter from now on?

3 hours ago, GoBengals said:

well ravens draft status could sway dramatically.. there are 13 teams with 7-9 wins.. so winning vs losing and what the 7 win or 9 win teams do could change your draft position be a huge margin.. that coach, palyers are just really wanted the extra win? im not saying they were loafing or deliberately trying to lose... but they were playing for nothing.. 

bengals played a bunch of guys fighting for jobs...

the fact that you think burkhead is even remotely on the same level of talent as hill is sad and delusional. its embarassing to football fans.  its so off that it makes me think it might even be based on non-football aspects. 

everyone here always wants the quirky white guy like he is some star... dude is mediocre at best... can barely crack 3rd on depth chart.. gio is better, hill is better... rex is a utility player... he will never be anything more...

good god what a crock of utter shit.

did i watch the game today...

omg

yea.. i watched the most boring, pointless shithole of a snooze game i have seen in years..  and it sure as fuck didnt mean a damn thing about rex burkheads sorry ass being any good...

garbage time superbowl champs!!!!!!!111111

The NFL is obsessed with numbers.  Size, speed, etc.  Burkhead doesn't have those numbers, yet still manages to make an NFL team and be productive when given the chance.  I'm not convinced he is #1 back worthy, but he has earned more playing time IMO.  If the Bengals were to cut Burkhead tomorrow a team like the Patriots would snap him up in a second.  

Over the past two seasons if you compare Hill to Bernard and Burkhead it's pretty plain to see he is inferior.  His stats suck and he fails the eye test.  He is terrible at finding holes unless they are huge and exactly where they are supposed to be.  Sure, you would like a dominant offensive line, but few teams have that and the Bengals are a long way from having that kind of line.  Yeah, Hill has the size and speed, but that lump that sits on his shoulders keeps him from being a quality RB.  Bad reads and stupid decisions dominate his game tape.  I think Hill tries hard and wants to succeed, but he just doesn't have it from the neck up.  

With Bernard coming off ACL surgery I think it would be crazy for the Bengals to stand pat at RB.  A draft pick or FA is in order.

Go....I assume my analysis is embarrassing, too.  You may be a mod, but man....that's one obnoxious, inflammatory take.

3 hours ago, GoBengals said:

he is small and average. ravens didnt appear to be trying to win very badly, and wisely. also 29 TD's in 3 years is pretty solid... 

OMG dumb af ! Hill has zero vision or burst, poor blocker and receiver. Rex makes guys miss and is hard to bring down. I wonder if people even watch the games or just comment blindly. Ravens had a top 5 defense and played their starters throughout, yes they wanted to win, but got beat by a better team today

4 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Because Hill is under contract and he has to play. Here's to 3.1 ypc and 10 tds!!!

And Hill makes considerably more money than Bulkhead and MikeandKatie don't want to look foolish with the big buck back on the bench and some chump change Joe Baggadonuts showing him up.

no :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

Same offensive line as Hill and Gio had

Not true, in fact I don't think we've had the same starting OL two weeks in a row for at least the last month.  Not to mention the rotating Ced/Winston at RT fuckery. 

10 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Hill played in 15 games this year. He had 3 games where he averaged over 4 yards per carry. 7 where he averaged 3 yards per carry or less. 2 100 yard games, both against Cleveland.

And when all was said and done, he averaged 3.8 yards a carry, a number approximately the same as the career average of Bettis, Riggins, Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, and Eddie George, all some of the most effective runners in NFL history.  If you want to use statistics, let's do it, but let's not fucking lie about what the statistical average is.  And just so we're on the same page, a statistical average is based on the median point with some numbers being higher and some lower.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not true, in fact I don't think we've had the same starting OL two weeks in a row for at least the last month.  Not to mention the rotating Ced/Winston at RT fuckery. 

Ok so lets go back the previous 4 games.  Eagles vs Bengals - Burkhead 4.8 ypc  Hill 1.4 ypc.

Bengals vs Browns - Burkhead 5.0 ypc  Hill 4.4 ypc

Bengals vs Stealers - Burkhead 4.6 ypc  Hill 2.2 ypc

Bengals vs Texans - Burkhead 3.5 ypc  Hill 1.1 ypc

54 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

In Go's world, Danny Woodhead was (and still is) a scrub. 

Danny woodhead is a scrub IMO. Only thing similar to him and Burkhead is they are white. Burkhead has size and power. Woodhead doesn't. He's close to Gio than anyone.

I've said it in a couple of other threads.  Talent at RB isn't the problem.  The OL's blocking has gone down hill

the last 2 seasons.  (This year and last year.)  It use to be a strength for the Bengals.  Can't say that these last

2 seasons.  Hell, not just run blocking either.  Dalton was sacked more times this year than the 2 previous combined. 

12 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

And when all was said and done, he averaged 3.8 yards a carry, a number approximately the same as the career average of Bettis, Riggins, Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, and Eddie George, all some of the most effective runners in NFL history.  If you want to use statistics, let's do it, but let's not fucking lie about what the statistical average is.  And just so we're on the same page, a statistical average is based on the median point with some numbers being higher and some lower.

A yards per carry which puts him tied for 30th in the NFL among running backs this season. 22nd in the NFL in yards per game at 55.9. His yards per carry in 2015 was 3.6. 

He has done nothing remotely as close to the hall of famers you listed. Seasons out of their prime skew their career yards per carry. Hill is in his prime right now and struggling.

I don't dislike the guy. He has a likeable personality. But clearly he isn't a top NFL running back and can be upgraded. He's a good short yardage back. He'll have a couple good games during a season but can't be relied upon as a bellcow.

If he can turn things around and be more consistent I would be ecstatic. I was thrilled when we drafted him. He hasn't lived up the the hype. 

8 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Ok..

I didn't say talent..Jeremy is obviously more talented... And I like him. he is great at the 1 yard TD run...but his fucking 3 yards a carry sucks..
the offense looks better with Rex in there...

Wtf are you talking about non football aspects?

Whatever dude... You're kind of an asshole when you disagree with someone.
Sorry if I am embarrassing to you for liking a player that is productive every fucking time he gets a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Check out the Bengalsboard.com it's an awesome Bengals board , really active and far less aholes.    Rex is kicking ass.  Hope we do sign him for a 2 or 3 year contract. Guys is tough.  

10 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Why would you use a guy with 3 seasons of statistical data and compare it to guys with close to 10 seasons and much, much more volume per season. Martin's final season was the only season he had less carries in a season than Jeremy and he was washed up at that point. 

Jeremy's numbers this year are skewed by four big runs against Cleveland x3 and the one against Denver. Great plays, but if we are relying on him to be a homerun hitter and not a workhorse, that's one big run and three nice chunk runs on 222 carries.

I would be all for shopping Hill and/or Bernard for a trade.  Do you think we would have any takers and what would we get.  I do think Burkhead is the superior back (esp to Hill) as far as smarts, vision, decision making and attitude but politics, etc. work against him.   I am disappointed that we did not see Hewitt get more touch this year.  Did he have any?

Ok I'm back.

1. Rex should be the starter.

2. I like all the other RBs too. It's just that Rex plays better. I dunno how he does it, but he does. He makes clutch moves and has super instincts. It's like FIFA when you have a 77 OVR striker that somehow plays better than Ibra. You don't fire Ibra, just use him as a sub or something.

3. I like Gio and Peerman too. 

Fire Marvin, Vontaze for MVP, I wish AJ got his stats (wouldn't blame him if he Carson's his way out), Fire Alexander.

I think one of the non-quantifiable things that Burkhead has that Hill doesn't is "heart" and "fire in the belly". Burkhead runs the ball with a purpose and like his life depends on it. Hill does not. That is the biggest difference, and compensates for the difference in raw talent. Does that mean Rex is ready to be the full time starter? Don't know. But he certainly has earned more playing time.

Ok I'm back.
1. Rex should be the starter.
2. I like all the other RBs too. It's just that Rex plays better. I dunno how he does it, but he does. He makes clutch moves and has super instincts. It's like FIFA when you have a 77 OVR striker that somehow plays better than Ibra. You don't fire Ibra, just use him as a sub or something.
3. I like Gio and Peerman too. 
Fire Marvin, Vontaze for MVP, I wish AJ got his stats (wouldn't blame him if he Carson's his way out), Fire Alexander.

Great post except for thinking Aj will be a quitter bitch.
I agree with all of the rest of it.
+1

I get the distaste for Hill, but I don't get why some of you don't like Gio.  Good receiver out of the backfield, great at blitz pickup, and has a higher career ypc number than Hill.

I love Gio!!!!

And Hill is just infuriating.... He has all the talent, just no vision and that isn't something that can be taught. He makes so many 10 yard runs in to 3 yard runs. And I really want him to be awesome....he just isn't.

Archived