Kroft and Uzomah

To me the biggest disappointment has been Tyler Eiferts inability to stay healthy.  He is one of the best TEs in the league and completely changes our offense when he is 100%, but it looks like we are not going to be able to count on him contributing for a full season.  This has lot's of fans calling for us to draft or sign a replacement, but I think the guys we have already are a bit underrated.

Many fans consider Tyler Kroft to be mainly a "blocking TE" because he only had 24 receptions his last year in college, but the previous year he had 43 catches.  His numbers dropped due to a change in scheme more so than a lack of confidence in his ability.  IN '13 he played more in the slot, but played more on the line in '14.  At his Pro Day he put up numbers that would have placed him among the top TEs at the combine.

Short Shuttle... 4.20 (1st)
3-cone drill...... 7.12 (2nd)
Long Jump...... 10' (2nd)
Long Shuttle... 11.78 (2nd) (not sure how many even run this anymore)
Forty dash...... 4.67 (3rd)
Vertical.......... 34" (6th)

At 6'5", 246 with this type of change-of-direction skills and explosiveness he should be a solid receiving threat for us.

C.J. Uzomah is an inch taller and 16 pounds heavier than Kroft, but at his Pro Day he ran a forty (4.63) that would have been the second fastest at the combine.  His 9'10" long jump would have been 4th best, and his bench, vertical, short shuttle, and 3-cone drill would all have also been in the top 10.  He had very little experience being used as a blocker, but he has the size to be effective.

So while I think the Bengals will probably draft another TE this year, I don't see them taking one before the 4th round.  I think they will continue to work with Kroft anf Uzomah to se if they can develop one or both ot them into a serious receiving threat.

My dream is that we see eifert playing like an All pro for 16 games, but that is starting to look doubtful.

TEs, especially the very athletic ones just seem to have a difficult time staying healthy across the league.

i doubt they draft one this year. Where would they put him besides straight to the PS? They'd have to cut one of the three they already have to keep him on the roster and barring injury/IR- that's not happening 

48 minutes ago, big_dish said:

i doubt they draft one this year. Where would they put him besides straight to the PS? They'd have to cut one of the three they already have to keep him on the roster and barring injury/IR- that's not happening 

If they do, I'd take that as an indication Eifert is worse off than they want to admit.  You'll know something's up if there's a smokescreen article right before the draft about how well his rehab is progressing.

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

If they do, I'd take that as an indication Eifert is worse off than they want to admit.  You'll know something's up if there's a smokescreen article right before the draft about how well his rehab is progressing.

Would depend on where they draft a TE.  Anyone taken 5th round or lower is probably a case of BPA.

5 minutes ago, snarkster said:

Would depend on where they draft a TE.  Anyone taken 5th round or lower is probably a case of BPA.

True, at that point we're talking about guys that may not even make the roster. That would make sense if Eifert is likely to miss camp as they may just need an extra body.

Wouldn't mind a futures guy with decent upside that could fill in if someone goes down or who could make it through to the practice squad if all are healthy.  A guy capable of being a lead-blocker too in case Hewitt goes down would be a big bonus.

On 1/8/2017 at 0:14 PM, big_dish said:

TEs, especially the very athletic ones just seem to have a difficult time staying healthy across the league.

Yes, I think Bengals will trust the rather young trio they have.

Archived