WR Need in offseason

Needs

As far as I can tell ignoring the guys that may return in free agency I see our needs as: 2ndWR, LT, C, RG, RT, K, LDT, RDE, SLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, Backup QB, RB Depth. These are at all kinds of different levels. Some can be filled in house, some will be filled with re-signed free agents, some will have to come from the draft or free agency. This first post will address filling that WR need, pre-draft. 

2nd WR Potential options:

·        Brandon LaFell (UFA) 6-3 210, 30 years old. 64-862-13.5-6

o       LaFell has been solid 2 of his last 3 years. He’s likely back as the 2nd starter.

·        Tyler Boyd 6-2 197, 54-603-11.2-1

o       Likely starter at Slot WR.

·        Cody Core 6-3 210, 17-200-11.8-0

o       Flashed ability at the end of the year but still raw at the position

·        Kenny Stills 6-0 195, 24. 42-726-17.3-9

o       Stills is probably headed for a big payday somewhere after a solid year. Cincy is unlikely to get involved in a bidding war.

·        DeSean Jackson (UFA-Redskins) 5-10 175, 30. 56-1005-17.9-4

o       Likely up for a big final payday. Probably too costly.

·        Jeremy Kerley (UFA-49ers) 5-9 188, 28. 64-667-10.4-3

o       Kerley is underappreciated and undersized. He played with Dalton at TCU and was brought in for a workout last offseason. He might be too small for the outside but may fit the kind of 2nd week of free agency signing that we like to make.

·        Kendall Wright (UFA-Titans) 5-10 191 27. 29-416-14.3-3

o       Wright had an up and down year even being inactive some weeks. He might be a possibility if no one goes after him early.

·        Markus Wheaton (UFA-Stealers) 5-11 189 26. 4-51-1

o       Wheaton is coming off a torn labrum and won’t be healthy until April or May. The former 3rd round pick ran a 4.45 forty at the combine. He might be another one of the 2nd week in the offseason type pickups.

·        Ted Ginn (UFA-Panthers) 5-11 180 32. 54-752-13.9-4

o       Ginn had his second season in a row of decent receiving. At 32 there might not be a huge market for his services.

Projection: I wouldn’t be surprised if a WR was drafted as early as 9. With the amount of needs we have I would not love that but I can see the argument with AJ Green inching towards 30. I’d love to add Jeremy Kerley because I think he would come cheap and perform but I just don’t see it happening. My guess is LaFell returns as the starter and we draft a guy with #1 upside in the top 4 rounds again. We have 4 of our 5-6 roster spots already locked down with Green-Boyd-Core and Alex Erickson. 

I would not use the #9 pick on a #2 WR.

I believe Lafell will be back.  The only question is how much money and how many years he wants.  At his age he figures this will be his last big payday.  

Core did not look very good to me.  He was only a rookie and may improve, but I would not count on him as our #3 WR.

Unless you have seen him play none of you will agree with me when I say Cordarrelle Patterson has the potential to be one of the most dangerous playmakers in the league.  He only averaged 8.7 yards on 52 catches, but he has incredible natural football skills.  He is still just 25 years old.

46 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I'd sign a vet receiver (probably LaFell) and draft a small school speed demon with one of the 4th round picks. 

Agree. I think they can get LaFell back relatively cheap and I'd take a swing on a deep threat with upside using a mid-round pick. Maybe somebody like Taywan Taylor. 

That would give a top 6 receivers for next year:

Green

Boyd

LaFell

Core

Erickson

Rookie Deep Threat

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

Agree. I think they can get LaFell back relatively cheap and I'd take a swing on a deep threat with upside using a mid-round pick. Maybe somebody like Taywan Taylor. 

Green

Boyd

LaFell

Core

Erickson

Rookie Deep Threat

How are you defining "deep threat"?  Personally, I don't want a "deep threat" guy who can get deep because of size and or route running ability, I want a burner. Someone who can turn a 5 yard slant into an 80 yard TD. IMO that is the one thing this offense is really missing.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

How are you defining "deep threat"?  Personally, I don't want a "deep threat" guy who can get deep because of size and or route running ability, I want a burner. Someone who can turn a 5 yard slant into an 80 yard TD. IMO that is the one thing this offense is really missing.

Well, that and 2-4 offensive linemen.

And a healthy starting TE.

And a reliable between-the-tackles RB.

Also a kicker.

Ideally, I'd love to see another #1 type guy opposite AJ, but don't know if it's a huge need right now if LaFell returns.  With Brandon back, they should be good to go by adding another guy with our nucleus of young'uns like Boyd, Core & Erickson.  If LaFell is not in his or our plans, then I'd be more apt to go after a guy like Mike Williams (who may well be the BPA on the board by the time we're on the clock anyways).  All things being equal though, I think that it's hard to argue our biggest needs are along the front seven though.

28 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

lol @ tedd ginn...

one trick pony WR...

whos trick we dont have the ability under center to use.

Does the fact that AJ was the leading WR in the NFL before he got hurt escape you, or do you simply choose to ignore it?

I mean, you can hate on Dalton all day wiithout making up stuff.  Stick to the playoff wins thing so we at least know you haven't completely lost touch with reality.

Getting kinda weird with it dude!

31 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

If Reuben Foster is available at #9 and we draft a WR I am going to be PISSED!

That's who I'm leaning towards for sure.  You do NOT take a WR at #9 overall when they'll be the 3rd

receiving target behind Green and Eifert regardless of their talent level/skill.  Bengals can't afford to be

taking a "luxury" pick as bad as our LB'er core is.  Not too mention as someone previously stated his neck

history.  I wouldn't exactly depend on the Bengals team doctors to get that examination right.  lol 

Green
Boyd
LaFell
Core
Erickson
Rookie Deep Threat

That's actually pretty underwhelming.

Mike Williams would elevate this offense to a whole new level.

Tyler Boyd is going to be most effective as a slot guy. Keeping Brandon LaFell outside as a starter in order to do that is the obvious move. Is that going to scare anybody? LaFell is solid, but he's not a world beater.

Lining up with A.J. Green and Mike Williams out wide would be horrifying for opposing defenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

That's who I'm leaning towards for sure.  You do NOT take a WR at #9 overall when they'll be the 3rd
receiving target behind Green and Eifert regardless of their talent level/skill.  Bengals can't afford to be
taking a "luxury" pick as bad as our LB'er core is.  Not too mention as someone previously stated his neck
history.  I wouldn't exactly depend on the Bengals team doctors to get that examination right.  lol 

If you think Mike Williams would be the third option behind Eifert, you're confused.

Even without a legit #2 receiver this year, Eifert disappeared pretty regularly. At what point did he look like the second option for this offense? You're talking about a REALLY talented guy, but you're forgetting that he only has 123 catches in 4 years. I realize the injuries have played a factor, but the bottom line is less than 2 catches per game.

That's your #2 option?

4 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

If you think Mike Williams would be the third option behind Eifert, you're confused.

Even without a legit #2 receiver this year, Eifert disappeared pretty regularly. At what point did he look like the second option for this offense? You're talking about a REALLY talented guy, but you're forgetting that he only has 123 catches in 4 years. I realize the injuries have played a factor, but the bottom line is less than 2 catches per game.

That's your #2 option?

I guess I should have stated a "healthy" Eifert.  Either way, the Bengals WR group is in a lot better shape than their LB'er core.  lol

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

lol @ tedd ginn...

one trick pony WR...

whos trick we dont have the ability under center to use.

You mean we don't have the OL to use?   How would Dalton even have the time to throw the ball deep with the way he was "protected" this year?

To answer the original question, I think we're okay, even if they don't bring LaFell back.   Core has exactly the same numbers as MJones did his first year.   I think he'll be more than capable of being that #2 guy, especially with a talented slot guy like Boyd. 

36 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

That's actually pretty underwhelming.

Mike Williams would elevate this offense to a whole new level.

Tyler Boyd is going to be most effective as a slot guy. Keeping Brandon LaFell outside as a starter in order to do that is the obvious move. Is that going to scare anybody? LaFell is solid, but he's not a world beater.

Lining up with A.J. Green and Mike Williams out wide would be horrifying for opposing defenses.

I'm starting to think if you have a decent QB (which we do), that you really don't need high-level (expensive) WRs.  To me it makes more sense to spend the money you'd use on a top WR to help solidify both lines and other pieces of the team.  Look at NE and Seattle...they're always in the playoffs and don't really spend a ton of money on WRs.  They put it in the defense.  While WRs are sexy picks, I think it makes more sense to have specialized receivers (a possession guy, a deep threat, etc.) and you spend the money you save on that position on the DL, OL and the rest of the D overall.

I guess I should have stated a "healthy" Eifert.  Either way, the Bengals WR group is in a lot better shape than their LB'er core.  lol

Actually, I REALLY like what I saw from Nick Vigil at the end of the year. Since the Bengals play nickel (what seems like) 90% of the time, projecting him and Vontaze Burfict as the starters, I'd venture to say that's not really a "need" position.

Don't get me wrong, I won't shed a tear if Reuben Foster is the Bengals' pick. I just think Mike Williams is a monster.

Archived