WR Need in offseason

We already have a good passing game.  A #2 WR will not "take our offense to another level".

And LOL at the people saying "Don't take Foster because he will always have concussions.  Instead we need the WR wit the broken neck."

I swear I'm not trying to sound like an asshole when I ask this... How much have you watched Foster play?

If your answer is "a whole bunch", and you don't feel like he puts himself at risk far too often, I'll accept that. If you haven't, I'd encourage you to take a closer look. He uses his helmet like a weapon. The Alabama staff has tried to coach it out of him. It's better, but he still does it way too often.

As for Mike Williams' neck injury... That's the type of thing that, once cleared, doesn't pose any greater risk than for anybody else. It's certainly not a gold star for him, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Does the fact that AJ was the leading WR in the NFL before he got hurt escape you, or do you simply choose to ignore it?

I mean, you can hate on Dalton all day wiithout making up stuff.  Stick to the playoff wins thing so we at least know you haven't completely lost touch with reality.

Getting kinda weird with it dude!

It's fucking hilarious at this point dude.... you're probably just better off not responding to him at this point....

you will end up called a dumbass and an embarrassment to all football fans...

#CarsonandBratforlife

1 hour ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Dalvin Cook or Mike Williams

although I think the WR position is fine...

Getting Wiliams opposite AJ would be fucking insane...

We would probably instantly have the best combo in the NFL...the kid is a stud....

5 hours ago, Big Alice said:

That's actually pretty underwhelming.

Mike Williams would elevate this offense to a whole new level.

Tyler Boyd is going to be most effective as a slot guy. Keeping Brandon LaFell outside as a starter in order to do that is the obvious move. Is that going to scare anybody? LaFell is solid, but he's not a world beater.

Lining up with A.J. Green and Mike Williams out wide would be horrifying for opposing defenses.

Obviously would be awesome to have a stud #2 receiver and in a dream world they would. 

We only have one first rounder though so the question is where you get the most bang for your buck in making the team better.

To me the two areas where you potentially get a bigger boost overall are a 10+ sack guy at DE or if they think Rueben Foster is an All Pro type difference maker at MLB. Think they would lean in either of those directions over Williams at #9, but I do think Williams is on the short list of possibilities and would be an awesome addition. 

5 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

My question would be...

What's the bigger upgrade? Dalvin Cook over Gio Bernard, or Mike Williams over Brandon LaFell?

Williams...IMO.. dude is going to be an instant monster in the NFL....

Although either one would upgrade the offense....

6 hours ago, Big Alice said:

If you think Mike Williams would be the third option behind Eifert, you're confused.

Even without a legit #2 receiver this year, Eifert disappeared pretty regularly. At what point did he look like the second option for this offense? You're talking about a REALLY talented guy, but you're forgetting that he only has 123 catches in 4 years. I realize the injuries have played a factor, but the bottom line is less than 2 catches per game.

That's your #2 option?

That's mostly because Eifert was so rarely on the field with AJ Green this past season due to their mutual injuries. Green's presence commands the kind of coverage that makes Eifert open all day, every day. I strongly believe that the defense needs more team speed and impact than the offense. Don't be deceived by the late season stats for our defense. The offenses we played against were GARBAGE over the course of the last several games. 

I think Lafell and Boyd will be fine, especially once Gio returns. I think the oline started to sort itself out, and let's not forget that Nugent cost us three games at a minimum (Redskins, Bills, Giants) that would have otherwise tilted our season. 

We need to focus on LB, edge rusher and RB. We should be okay everywhere else. Dalton is actually good at spreading the ball around as long as he doesn't lock into Green on every passing play.

32 minutes ago, Big Alice said:

My question would be...

What's the bigger upgrade? Dalvin Cook over Gio Bernard, or Mike Williams over Brandon LaFell?

I'd call it a toss up....Cook is every bit the player Williams is and IMO the gap from either guy wouldn't be much different.

7 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

That's who I'm leaning towards for sure.  You do NOT take a WR at #9 overall when they'll be the 3rd

receiving target behind Green and Eifert regardless of their talent level/skill.  Bengals can't afford to be

taking a "luxury" pick as bad as our LB'er core is.  Not too mention as someone previously stated his neck

history.  I wouldn't exactly depend on the Bengals team doctors to get that examination right.  lol 

He'll be second though when Eifert goes on IR just before halftime of the first game.  I REALLY hope Eifert comes out next year and re-writes the single-season record book.  When it comes to projecting offensive production for next year though, all I'm penciling him in for is owies.  I don't necessarily want a WR at #9, but counting on prodigious production from "Crystal" Eifert is not a reason.

8 hours ago, snarkster said:

He'll be second though when Eifert goes on IR just before halftime of the first game.  I REALLY hope Eifert comes out next year and re-writes the single-season record book.  When it comes to projecting offensive production for next year though, all I'm penciling him in for is owies.  I don't necessarily want a WR at #9, but counting on prodigious production from "Crystal" Eifert is not a reason.

This post is full of snark, well done.

I agree with you, Eifert has proven to be unreliable at best and this team shouldn't pass on a potential superstar because of what Eifert does or doesn't bring to the table.

I don't really want to be on the hype train for a running back at #9 because I either A.) want Jeremy to show up and do what he did his rookie year, or B.) re-sign Rex, but Dalvin Cook led the nation in yards after contact this year with 1,195 yards. In the Michigan game alone, he ran for a ridiculous 119 yards after contact. Excellent at forcing missed tackles. Sounds perfect for a guy behind this offensive line. Big problem is that he wasn't good at pass blocking in college and you can't use #9 on a two-down running back.

Won't be surprised to see Corey Davis fly up and be neck and neck with Mike Williams after the combine. YAC monster, which would be a pretty nice luxury in a quick-release offense. Have to wonder if Core will keep them from using a pick that high on a receiver though. It probably shouldn't, but...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-browns-take-two-defensive-stars-after-hiring-new-coordinator/

CBS Sports Mock Draft ^^^ FWIW and not sure where to put it but it is another look at this question.

It has Cook going with the 4th pick to Jacksonville.

Us at 9 taking TIM Williams OLB from Alabama and MIKE Williams going at 10 to Buffalo.  I guess the thinking is to beef up our Defense and the linebacker position is Burfict (who is likely to miss games for suspension or concussions), Vigel's potential and a bunch of second stringers.

Ruben Foster went at 11 to New Orleans.

Just food for thought and I don't know lots about him but it would be a typical Bengals move to pick some lesser known over some of the big names for some Bengalthink reasoning which is beyond me.  And just another name to throw out there.

Personally, if MIKE Williams is still available, I can't see the Bengals passing him up.  Mike Brown never saw a wide receiver he didn't love.  

11 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Williams...IMO.. dude is going to be an instant monster in the NFL....

Although either one would upgrade the offense....

That may be true, but can you pay 2 top level receivers?  Once MW's rookie contract is up AJ may be in the middle of another extension and we wouldn't be able to re-sign WM (I don't think).  Receivers are great, but you can't put too much money into that position.  Look at NE and Seattle.  Put money in the O-line and the defense.  Andy, AJ, Lafell, Boyd, Eifert and Gio will be fine if we can block for them and play great D.

38 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-browns-take-two-defensive-stars-after-hiring-new-coordinator/

CBS Sports Mock Draft ^^^ FWIW and not sure where to put it but it is another look at this question.

It has Cook going with the 4th pick to Jacksonville.

Us at 9 taking TIM Williams OLB from Alabama and MIKE Williams going at 10 to Buffalo.  I guess the thinking is to beef up our Defense and the linebacker position is Burfict (who is likely to miss games for suspension or concussions), Vigel's potential and a bunch of second stringers.

Ruben Foster went at 11 to New Orleans.

Just food for thought and I don't know lots about him but it would be a typical Bengals move to pick some lesser known over some of the big names for some Bengalthink reasoning which is beyond me.  And just another name to throw out there.

Personally, if MIKE Williams is still available, I can't see the Bengals passing him up.  Mike Brown never saw a wide receiver he didn't love.  

This move just makes no sense, we like tall rangy DE's. How the fuck does a pass rushing OLB fit into a 4-3 defense? I just roll my eyes when people mock 6'3" 250LB LB to play DE for us, Marvin Lewis never has and never will draft a player like this. Bengals will ask him to put on 40lbs and he will then completely suck

48 minutes ago, JC said:

David Pollack and of course he made Peter Boulware a absolute monster in Baltimore.

David Pollack never really worked out.

As for Boulware, he was surrounded by so much talent on that defense and the passing game wasn't what it is in today's NFL. It might have made sense 17 years ago.

I mean, I am all for weapons at positions, but this team needs to address it's offensive and defensive lines. THOSE are the priorities. They have to be. 

We had nothing resembling a consistent pass rush and consistently allowed Dalton to be pressured and consistently failed at running the ball (what'd we have, like three games where we went above 100 yards?). Guys are getting long in the tooth and competition for playing time matters. 

I know these guys aren't typically the sexy guys...they aren't the highlight guys...but our line play, both sides of the ball, is why we sucked this year.

43 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

David Pollack never really worked out.

As for Boulware, he was surrounded by so much talent on that defense and the passing game wasn't what it is in today's NFL. It might have made sense 17 years ago.

Boulware would have probably been more productive in today's NFL ala Von Miller and Khalil Mack which are two other good examples of SAM backers who primarily rush. Marvin went out and got James Harrison to play SAM a few years ago. Saying he won't put a guy who has the skillset of a 3-4 OLB at SAM isn't really true. With the SAM not playing much, Tim Williams won't be a factor when we pick.

Archived