Bengals OL Cedric Ogbuehi: 2016 was a shit year

Bengals OL Cedric Ogbuehi: 2016 was a s*** year

The Bengals' young tackle speaks on his season and what comes next.

64911871.jpg

The Cincinnati Bengals had a right tackle problem this season and much of it revolved around the play of 2015 first round pick Cedric Ogbuehi, who started the first 11 games before eventually being benched and replaced.

Ogbuehi knows exactly where those struggles come from.

“I haven’t had an offseason yet,” he said, via Cincinnati.com. “I haven’t had OTAs. I haven’t been in OTAs or minicamp for a full year. I haven’t had an offseason where I can just work on technique and not have to rehab. I also know I’m not a right tackle.

“Not playing right tackle is going to be a big thing for me. That’s not my position. It’s not comfortable. I know against the Texans I gave up two sacks but besides the two sacks, out of 41 pass plays, my guy was nowhere near the quarterback. But those two plays were sacks so I’ve got to fix that.”

Want the latest news and notes on the Cincinnati Bengals?--Don't miss any of the action! Take five seconds to sign up for our FREE newsletter here.

The Bengals have a decision to make at left tackle this offseason if that is the case. Andrew Whitworth is still at the top of his game and wants to play left tackle and prefers not playing anywhere else, whereas that is only where Ogbuehi wants to play.

Regardless, Ogbuehi knows what he has to do to continue to develop.

“Getting my shoulders strong and getting my core strong so I can handle the bulls and the power rushes,” he said. “To me, that was 95 percent of the issues was just the bull rush. I think once I fix that I’ll be more comfortable. I’ll have a full offseason for the first time and I think next year will be a good year.”

He knows 2016 was not good and is just looking forward to what comes next.

“Looking back man, I know what to expect next year, what to fix, my weaknesses,” he said. “I just know my weaknesses. I know what to work on this offseason, my points of emphasis this offseason. 2016 was a s--- year, and just make 2017 a good year. That’s all I can do.”

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/bengals-ol-cedric-ogbuehi-2016-was-a-s-year/?utm_content=buffer93a09&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

44 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He says he is "not a RT" yet he played full seasons for A&M at the position, and a full season at RG. He actually only played LT for 11games his senior year, and gave up 7 sacks. 

Disturbing. Anytime a player starts making excuses, saying he's not this or that, I'm worried. You play the position you're told to play. 

He says he is "not a RT" yet he played full seasons for A&M at the position, and a full season at RG. He actually only played LT for 11games his senior year, and gave up 7 sacks. 

You're looking at the wrong numbers. Salaries for Left Tackle are where you should be focused.

I'm glad this guy and his stated position isn't my headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I think he said he is "not the right tackle".  And I agree with him.  We need someone better.  A lot better.

As long as he has proper coaching which based on the track record of Alexander is not encouraging

While I realize that as stated in article he gave up the 2 sacks but other than that had really good protection. He didn't have that at RT and fisher actually played above average down the stretch at RT.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

19 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

While I realize that as stated in article he gave up the 2 sacks but other than that had really good protection. He didn't have that at RT and fisher actually played above average down the stretch at RT.

sacks are sacks. they kill drives and cost you games. 

Could be great?   Ugh drugs are bad

I know I know it's hard to see right now but just thinking about the Texans game and it looked a lot like he was so much more comfortable there and overall did better than he ever had T RT against Clowney. So with an actual training camp and a full season of practice and games playing backup lt getting more practice at the position he will improve a lot. But he definitely isn't a RT and at the very least he could be a top 15 Left tackle with a lot of practice and a year backing up Whit as opposed to playing a position he obviously can't play.

6 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

I know I know it's hard to see right now but just thinking about the Texans game and it looked a lot like he was so much more comfortable there and overall did better than he ever had T RT against Clowney. So with an actual training camp and a full season of practice and games playing backup lt getting more practice at the position he will improve a lot. But he definitely isn't a RT and at the very least he could be a top 15 Left tackle with a lot of practice and a year backing up Whit as opposed to playing a position he obviously can't play.

He has yet to show he can go very long without getting hurt. A full offseason is no guarantee with this guy. He already has a should problem that needs to heal. And if "comfortable" is giving up two sacks in a game, I'd hate to see what "meh" is.  

He has yet to show he can go very long without getting hurt. A full offseason is no guarantee with this guy. He already has a should problem that needs to heal. And if "comfortable" is giving up two sacks in a game, I'd hate to see what "meh" is.  

I'm not comfortable with that but he got the better of his man more often than not. My point being at RT he never got the best of his man on the left he actually did against a pretty good pass rush. The point is he actually has something to go to to say I did pretty good just got to get better at not giving up sacks. He can point to his first game at lt and say I played infinity better than at RT

1 hour ago, Big Alice said:

Fwiw, Andre Smith was useless for his first two years.

Smith was fat and injured most of his first two years.  He mixed in good and bad years after that.  

Oogie-Boogie is a mess at this point.  No reason to cut bait until he gets expensive.  I hope he improves drastically, but I have serious reservations.  From what I have heard his problem is far deeper than conditioning like Smith.  

Well, he might not have mastered LT, but he sure has mastered the obvious.  "Aside from no OTA's, weak shoulders, weak core and sucking hard against power and bull rushes...I really wasn't a bad LT."

I really do hope Whitt re-signs and Oggie actually is salvageable, because if he's not, Andy won't survive the next two years.  Unless the club finds a hidden gem of an LT hidden in the mid-to-late rounds it's gonna be hard to find another answer anytime soon (can't see them drafting another in the next three years or so).  I think they should try though.  Can't see Whitt back for too many more years and Winston is about as long in the tooth. 

Even if Ogbuehi & Walter work out, I still wouldn't mind them taking another young OT capable of swinging between the right & left sides as insurance and for depth once we start getting into the comp rounds where there are extra picks.  Two I kinda like (and someone mentioned the other day) are Western Michigan's Taylor Moton and and Julie'n Davenport of Bucknell (if they last that long).  Neither is ideal though and I'm not that keen on Alexander's recent picks.

Wonder if there's a team out there ready to deal a decent LT for Oggy and McCarron?    :26:

15 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Yeah, 2 sacks in one game averages out to 32 a season.  One of those sacks almost got Dalton killed.  Even if he ends up being OK, once again we are replacing a great player, Whit, with a less talented one at a key position.  

57 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, 2 sacks in one game averages out to 32 a season.  One of those sacks almost got Dalton killed.  Even if he ends up being OK, once again we are replacing a great player, Whit, with a less talented one at a key position.  

Blind side sacks usually lead to a lot of fumbled footballs. If you cant hold up to a bull rush on the right you cant hold up to a bull rush on the left. Unless something changes, he is going to be a back up LT for the next two seasons. 

Archived