Whit is going to test the FA market, says he wants to play for a Super Bowl contender

I read Dehner's tweet as well and that is welcome news if true.  Hopefully the first domino followed by Dre and Rex.  I have accepted Zeitler leaving because of the price tag.  Would love to keep him, but it's not the team's fault the market for guards blew up last year.  Still sucks to lose a very good player in his prime.

5 hours ago, Sigfox09 said:

Where are you seeing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Whitworth will be back with the Bengals. Mark it. I don’t need any more Bengals folks to make impassioned pleas to know it gets done.

If Whit returns there are arguably decent replacements at all other spots.  That scares me

Dalton 2020 McCarron 2017 Driskel 2019
Bernard 2019 Hill 2017 Carson 2017
Hewitt 2019    
Green 2019 Kumerow 2018  
Core 2019 Wright 2017 Brown 2018
Boyd 2019 Erickson 2018 Russell 2018
Eifert 2017 Kroft 2018 Uzomah 2018
Whitworth 2016 Ogbouehi 2018  
Boling 2019 Westerman 2019 Redmond 2018
Bodine 2017    
Johnson 2016 Hopkins 2017  
Fisher 2018    

Bullock 2018 Brown 2017  
Huber 2017    
Harris 2017    

Dunlap 2018 Clarke 2017 Brown 2018
Billings 2019 Sims 2017 Dean 2018
Atkins 2018 Williams 2017 Thompson 2017
Johnson 2018   Hardison 2018
Vigil 2019 Dawson 2018  
Maualuga 2017 Albright 2018  
Burfict 2017 Rey 2018 Flowers 2017
Williams 2020 Smith 2018  
Iloka 2020 Fejedelem 2019  
Dennard 2017 Jones 2018 McRae 2018
Jackson 2020 Benwikere 2017  
Shaw 2018 Russell 2019  

20 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I read Dehner's tweet as well and that is welcome news if true.  Hopefully the first domino followed by Dre and Rex.  I have accepted Zeitler leaving because of the price tag.  Would love to keep him, but it's not the team's fault the market for guards blew up last year.  Still sucks to lose a very good player in his prime.

I think it's suspect.  As you said, the market value is where it's at - it's not like he's been offered some outrageous contract we'd be fools to match.  Or any contract, as far as we know. The team has the money.  The team's offensive line was pretty damned bad last year. 

So.. Why are we letting Zeitler walk without so much as an offer?  Because we don't pay guards?  We also don't run the ball worth a shit and let our franchise QB get demolished.  Think those two things might be related somehow?

56 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think it's suspect.  As you said, the market value is where it's at - it's not like he's been offered some outrageous contract we'd be fools to match.  Or any contract, as far as we know. The team has the money.  The team's offensive line was pretty damned bad last year. 

So.. Why are we letting Zeitler walk without so much as an offer?  Because we don't pay guards?  We also don't run the ball worth a shit and let our franchise QB get demolished.  Think those two things might be related somehow?

I think we are fools not to match any contract. i don't see a way we have a successful season without Whit. 

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think we are fools not to match any contract. i don't see a way we have a successful season without Whit. 

Was referring to Zeitler but I agree re: Whit.

Looking at this OL the case could be made for overpaying either one of them if necessary.  Not making an offer to Zeitler at all doesn't make any sense."We don't pay guards competitive salaries" hasn't worked out so well.

I don't know what Zeitler will end up getting, but the numbers I have read are high ($10 million plus per year).  The team did offer him a contract last year that averaged a little more than half that amount annually, according to Lap.  Like I said, I accept the reality of him leaving for more money elsewhere.  It's a business and he has earned his big payday.  The Bengals certainly have the cap room to pay him like Decastro.  If it were my decision I would do it.  It hurts to draft and develop a very good player and watch him leave.  I just can't blame the team for creating this situation with a huge increase in price for a non-premier position.  

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Was referring to Zeitler but I agree re: Whit.

Looking at this OL the case could be made for overpaying either one of them if necessary.  Not making an offer to Zeitler at all doesn't make any sense."We don't pay guards competitive salaries" hasn't worked out so well.

It works out well for the Brown's family bank account, which is the only thing they are worried about.

27 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

It works out well for the Brown's family bank account, which is the only thing they are worried about.

Maybe in the short term, but it's a product like any other.  It doesn't matter how much money you saved on discount oyster crackers when people stop eating at your restaurant.  I know the NFL has profit sharing but that'll only carry them so far.

I wonder.. Hypothetically, say I'm some douche with more money than sense and want to throw a bunch of cash at something, like Mark Cuban maybe, or maybe I was gifted a small loan of a million bucks and later inherited the property of my notorious slumlord Dad.. I'm bored with hookers and blow so I buy an NFL franchise.  Then I proceed to run it into the ground. 

I spend the cap minimum on the cheapest of FA's, I draft players because I think their names sound funny, maybe I'm even completely delusional and have a messiah complex that convinces me to sign total fuck-ups because I'm going to save them with my Godlike superpowers that strangely do not include being able to iron my slacks. I sell my stadium and have the team play in an old rock quarry where season ticket holders get folding chairs and all you can eat borscht from the concession stand.  The concession stands only sell borscht and chelada..

Budweiser_Chelada.jpg

Question being; at what point can the NFL step in and take my franchise? Can they revoke my license or something like an Applebee's that keeps failing the health inspection? Kick my team out of the league? Does Goodell sneak up on me in a crowd and stab me in the ass with an umbrella full of plutonium?

What can they do about it?

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I spend the cap minimum on the cheapest of FA's

Honestly, sign 52 guys to minimum contracts and then pay out around 80% of the cap to one guy... Whatever guy really fucks up the Franchise tag numbers. Draft a punter in the first round and franchise him every year. As in "I know we have this guy for another 3 years, but I'll use the tag on him anyway".

Oh, wait, that's what Al Davis did. Nevermind.

5 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Honestly, sign 52 guys to minimum contracts and then pay out around 80% of the cap to one guy... Whatever guy really fucks up the Franchise tag numbers. Draft a punter in the first round and franchise him every year. As in "I know we have this guy for another 3 years, but I'll use the tag on him anyway".

Oh, wait, that's what Al Davis did. Nevermind.

So you're saying the NFL is powerless, even when his son has a total dickhead haircut?

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

So you're saying the NFL is powerless, even when his son has a total dickhead haircut?

Unless you want to move to LA... Yeah.

The biggest pressure would come from the locality, as they would be less likely to accommodate your franchise.

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Unless you want to move to LA... Yeah.

The biggest pressure would come from the locality, as they would be less likely to accommodate your franchise.

Yeah that's not much of a threat in this case.  If the NFL leaves Cincinnati it's not coming back.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe in the short term, but it's a product like any other.  It doesn't matter how much money you saved on discount oyster crackers when people stop eating at your restaurant.  I know the NFL has profit sharing but that'll only carry them so far.

I wonder.. Hypothetically, say I'm some douche with more money than sense and want to throw a bunch of cash at something, like Mark Cuban maybe, or maybe I was gifted a small loan of a million bucks and later inherited the property of my notorious slumlord Dad.. I'm bored with hookers and blow so I buy an NFL franchise.  Then I proceed to run it into the ground. 

I spend the cap minimum on the cheapest of FA's, I draft players because I think their names sound funny, maybe I'm even completely delusional and have a messiah complex that convinces me to sign total fuck-ups because I'm going to save them with my Godlike superpowers that strangely do not include being able to iron my slacks. I sell my stadium and have the team play in an old rock quarry where season ticket holders get folding chairs and all you can eat borscht from the concession stand.  The concession stands only sell borscht and chelada..

Budweiser_Chelada.jpg

Question being; at what point can the NFL step in and take my franchise? Can they revoke my license or something like an Applebee's that keeps failing the health inspection? Kick my team out of the league? Does Goodell sneak up on me in a crowd and stab me in the ass with an umbrella full of plutonium?

What can they do about it?

They have the refs cheat against every time you play the Stealers, much to the angst and confusion of your terminal self hating fanbase. They penalize your star LB for common behaviours, they do everything they can to ensure you don't have success without making it completely obvious they are doing everything they can.

I have a theory, a conspiracy of sorts, that there is an inner sanctum of NFL owners that collude against the other unsuspecting owners to ensure their franchises are always successful and others aren't, similar to the Shriners and the FreeMasons, or the Illuminati and the Masons. Certain NFL franchises that are owned by certain individuals that always go against the grain at league meetings, embarrass the league by employing career criminals that happen to be good at football, and use the shared revenue monies like a welfare queen are never going to win the Lombardi trophy and will always be on the business end to those in the inner sanctum...but maybe this type of thinking is a side effect from terminal Bengals fan syndrome. 

10 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

They have the refs cheat against every time you play the Stealers, much to the angst and confusion of your terminal self hating fanbase. They penalize your star LB for common behaviours, they do everything they can to ensure you don't have success without making it completely obvious they are doing everything they can.

Yeah I don't think the other owners are even that sneaky about it.  They just wait until MB leaves the room to go rescue a kitten or whatever and are all like "Fuck that guy amirite?"

Archived