New Stadium

In the next few years I'm sure the stadium talk will come up.  PBS was build in 2000 I think, so it's pretty ancient in terms of NFL stadiums at this point.  I know MB hasn't been a fan of having a corporation pay for the stadium, but it would be great if P&G offered to build us a new one.  Any other corporations that you think would be willing to build us a stadium and do you think MB would be ok with giving up the naming rights?

What corporation has paid for a stadium anywhere? they don't have $1billion laying around....they do sign leases for naming rights however.

As for stadium talk, my guess is the bengals re-new on a 5 to 15 year at PBS and then expect a new stadium to be built that would be 2037-2043 by then. I assume if a new one is built it will be a DOME so we can host more events, I'd also be willing to bet it's build closer to norwood lateral or in the West End, unless they play in the bearcats stadium for 2 season while PBS is demo'd and rebuilt.

19 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

What corporation has paid for a stadium anywhere? they don't have $1billion laying around....they do sign leases for naming rights however.

As for stadium talk, my guess is the bengals re-new on a 5 to 15 year at PBS and then expect a new stadium to be built that would be 2037-2043 by then. I assume if a new one is built it will be a DOME so we can host more events, I'd also be willing to bet it's build closer to norwood lateral or in the West End, unless they play in the bearcats stadium for 2 season while PBS is demo'd and rebuilt.

Wasn't sure how that worked.  I assumed they wouldn't pay for it outright in one year, but figured they took on the bulk of the cost somehow.  As for the location it would be interesting to see if they wanted to stay on the river or not.  I'd hope so, but if not they could consider further north to get some of the Dayton Bengals fans a little closer.

40 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I will be nearing the end of my life by then and won't give a fuck... so I am not going to give a fuck about it now...

i am way more worried about who the offensive line is going to be in 2017....

Here's an idea - how about Mike Brown dumps a dollar into PBS in renovations/upgrades.  Didn't the city have to pay for the new HD scoreboard?  I was at a game a year or two ago (field level) in a bar area and they had CRT TVs strapped up hanging from walls.  Pretty embarassing stuff.  Yes, I know, you're there to watch the game but if teams are trying to lure fans out to spend money for a stadium experience transporting them back to 1999 ain't gonna do it.

Look at GABP - team constantly dumps money into that stadium.  Built around same time but one owner understands the stadium experience and the other not so much.  

12 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

In the next few years I'm sure the stadium talk will come up.  PBS was build in 2000 I think, so it's pretty ancient in terms of NFL stadiums at this point.  I know MB hasn't been a fan of having a corporation pay for the stadium, but it would be great if P&G offered to build us a new one.  Any other corporations that you think would be willing to build us a stadium and do you think MB would be ok with giving up the naming rights?

I don't think that Mike Brown having naming rights excluded the team from accepting corporate money. Or taxpayer money. 

2 hours ago, BengalsNYC said:

Here's an idea - how about Mike Brown dumps a dollar into PBS in renovations/upgrades.  Didn't the city have to pay for the new HD scoreboard?  I was at a game a year or two ago (field level) in a bar area and they had CRT TVs strapped up hanging from walls.  Pretty embarassing stuff.  Yes, I know, you're there to watch the game but if teams are trying to lure fans out to spend money for a stadium experience transporting them back to 1999 ain't gonna do it.

Look at GABP - team constantly dumps money into that stadium.  Built around same time but one owner understands the stadium experience and the other not so much.  

He did.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/7009/bengals-paul-brown-stadium-upgrades-cincinnati-hamilton-ohio

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Green Bay called. They want a new place because the present one doesn't give the fans the "stadium experience". 

Bit of a stretch there but I take your point.  Green Bay is a complete outlier with there ownership model.  While I don't necessarily agree with all the amenities and features at stadiums this is the reality.  Not everyone who goes to games wants to sit and watch the entire thing.  They roam around, eat/drink and generally socialize.  

9 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Thanks for digging that up - other than the scoreboard I just don't see it around the stadium.  This is coming from a Cincy transplant living in NY for last 14 years, so there you go.

10 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I don't think that Mike Brown having naming rights excluded the team from accepting corporate money. Or taxpayer money. 

True, but what motivation would a company have to contribute if they're not getting anything out of it, like the publicity?  Also, if the Bengals ask the taxpayers to build another stadium, I don't know how that vote would turn out...it feels like there's less tolerance for it now even though we're a better organization than we were then.

34 minutes ago, BengalsNYC said:

Bit of a stretch there but I take your point.  Green Bay is a complete outlier with there ownership model.  While I don't necessarily agree with all the amenities and features at stadiums this is the reality.  Not everyone who goes to games wants to sit and watch the entire thing.  They roam around, eat/drink and generally socialize.  

Trust me, I get your point. After 34 years of season tickets, I have always seen the differentiation in attendees. However, there is a real difference between "stadium experience" and "game day experience". And from my history--especially in recent years--Cincinnati has one of the best "game day experiences" anywhere. Besides the literal oceans of top-notch tailgates, no one can argue with the downtown eating/drinking/socializing qualities there--and that doesn't include places like the Banks, which is just a simply great game day location. 

For me anyway, by the time pre-game is over, I am just ready for football. 

33 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

True, but what motivation would a company have to contribute if they're not getting anything out of it, like the publicity?  Also, if the Bengals ask the taxpayers to build another stadium, I don't know how that vote would turn out...it feels like there's less tolerance for it now even though we're a better organization than we were then.

I think it depends on the lease deal, If the bengals paid a fair lease # and paid for all improvements to the stadium it might be an option. Other thing to do would be to also hope FC Cincinnati is an MLS team looking for a home( share like in Seattle) and we make it so other things can take place...Possibly steal the big 10 championship game if we're in a dome or some NCAA games come tourney time.

We could build a stadium that will be nicer than the Jerry Jones dome I'd like to think in 15 years.

I am an out of towner so the stadium deal doesnt effect me......but while it seemed to be getting harder to get public money for NFL stadiums the "build it or we will move to LA" threat still worked.

Thanks to Kroenke the 'build it or we will become the San Antonio Armadillos" does not have the same tone to it.

PBS was desperately needed at the time, as riverfront was a total relic.

at this point in time, in my opinion- PBS isn't THAT much different than many of the new stadiums being built- especially from a bones perspective. Even at 17 years, with some cosmetic upgrades over time and some intermediate investments in technology and small infrastructure this stadium is probably viable for another 20-30 years.

Archived