Baby Hawk back on the market

The team terminated Hawkins' contract on Monday, cutting ties with one of its most respected players.

Hawkins had 33 catches for 324 yards and three touchdowns last season for the 1-15 Browns. But his contributions went beyond the field, as Hawkins helped mentor Cleveland's young receiving corps. He was also heavily involved in community activities.

Browns coach Hue Jackson says it's ''tough to say goodbye to men like Hawk, that have done everything you've asked of them and gone above and beyond when it comes to leadership.'' Jackson says Hawkins ''was a rock for us last season.''

We don't have much depth at receiver currently. As of now, it's AJ Green, 3 guys who were rookies last year and not much at all behind them.

Maybe that changes if we bring back LaFell and draft a guy relatively early. But I could see Hawk being an option if both of those things don't happen.

7 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I don't think Hawkins is better than either at this point. 

how do you know though, who has he had to even get him the ball since he left here?

if he just comes in to compete at training camp, who cares? he might not make the team but what does it hurt to have him here busting his ass and competing? 

Wonder if he still plays special teams? Definitely can't keep three slot receives active on gameday when we usually only keep five receivers active. If Erickson wouldn't have played so well down the stretch, maybe. Can't see it with the number game though.

6 hours ago, VonBlade said:

The team terminated Hawkins' contract on Monday, cutting ties with one of its most respected players.

Hawkins had 33 catches for 324 yards and three touchdowns last season for the 1-15 Browns. But his contributions went beyond the field, as Hawkins helped mentor Cleveland's young receiving corps. He was also heavily involved in community activities.

Browns coach Hue Jackson says it's ''tough to say goodbye to men like Hawk, that have done everything you've asked of them and gone above and beyond when it comes to leadership.'' Jackson says Hawkins ''was a rock for us last season.''

If he was so f'n good, why did they cut him?  I guess he was a rock who couldn't roll.

No.

15 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I'm not even sure Hawkins will still want to play for a minimum salary type deal.

yeah I definitely wouldn't go much over that....if he doesn't take it, cool.

otherwise, I really don't see any way he'd make the team but I'm sure he's definitely still got some quicks and I know for a fact he'd compete his ass off on every snap of every practice....I just see no downside whatsoever in bringing a guy in like that. 

21 minutes ago, spicoli said:

yeah I definitely wouldn't go much over that....if he doesn't take it, cool.

otherwise, I really don't see any way he'd make the team but I'm sure he's definitely still got some quicks and I know for a fact he'd compete his ass off on every snap of every practice....I just see no downside whatsoever in bringing a guy in like that. 

The downside is he takes snaps from young guys that need them.  Unless you think Hawkins can be a contributor there is no point in taking snaps from the young guys.

12 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The downside is he takes snaps from young guys that need them.  Unless you think Hawkins can be a contributor there is no point in taking snaps from the young guys.

who would he be taking snaps from exactly?

Boyd and Erickson are the only true slot receivers on the team right now. 

Cutting good players at the 53 should be the goal. I can't envision a way he beats out Boyd or Erickson either. An injury to either occurs and we are more comfortable.  Boyd can also play some on the outside.  This is free money. Even if he takes snaps from two rookies he is a vet and the two rookies can learn from those snaps. 

I never got the obsession some people have with this guy, he had like 4 good games in his career and the Browns gave him a big contract out of the blue that he never lived up to. It seems like he's a great guy off the field, I know he's from Springdale...represent Jamie B...so there's that, but I would want someone with more upside.

Besides, I think Dalton does better with bigger WR's that have a wide catch radius, his throws can sail on him at time and tall WR's with a large wingspan make him look better than shorter guys. AJ Green and Eifert are the perfect targets for Dalton because they are tall guys with long arms that have soft hands. Dalton isn't the tallest guy so his release point is high to ensure he makes it over the defenders out stretched arms which in turns makes the ball start to sail on occasion. 

Hawkins would a good fit for a QB like Philip Rivers or Brock Osweiler in my opinion. He can run short and intermediate routes and make plays after the catch. 

9 hours ago, spicoli said:

who would he be taking snaps from exactly?

Boyd and Erickson are the only true slot receivers on the team right now. 

You have answered your own question.  Those guys need all the snaps they can get with Dalton, not the scout team.  Hawkins will come to camp and push for a job.  I don't think watching Hawkins is going to do squat to make others better.  If there aren't hard workers on the Bengals then their problems are much deeper than I thought.  Learning in practice is essential for young players and to bring in a vet who has little to no chance of playing a significant role makes no sense to me.

You guys realize we are talking about a player who isn't good enough to even challenge for a job with the Browns?

The nostalgic attraction of Bengals fans to has-been and never-was players is astounding. The guy has had one decent season in the league and just got cut by the Cleveland Browns. WTF would we want the guy for? I can only hope Mike Brown isn't reading the board again this offseason for his scouting advice. 

23 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

The nostalgic attraction of Bengals fans to has-been and never-was players is astounding. The guy has had one decent season in the league and just got cut by the Cleveland Browns. WTF would we want the guy for? I can only hope Mike Brown isn't reading the board again this offseason for his scouting advice. 

The best was Paul Dehner comparing him to Taylor Gabriel. Gabriel was 25 when picked up by Atlanta. Hawkins will be 31 next season. Same difference if your a shill, rather than a journalist. 

42 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You have answered your own question.  Those guys need all the snaps they can get with Dalton, not the scout team.

lol c'mon, those two players can't possibly take every snap of TC.

I just know the more you guys you have busting their asses and competing each and every practice, the better off the team is overall....but whatever though makes no difference to me where he ends up, I just didn't see what it would hurt is all. 

Dalton does best with WRs who he can get the ball out to as quickly as possible. That is Hawkins. Hawkins isn't the solution to the #2 WR problem. He is a vet that adds quality to the 90 man roster. This should cost us literally nothing if he is cut at the 53 or the vet minimum for a reliable backup if he isn't. Absolute no brainer. 

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

lol c'mon, those two players can't possibly take every snap of TC.

I just know the more you guys you have busting their asses and competing each and every practice, the better off the team is overall....but whatever though makes no difference to me where he ends up, I just didn't see what it would hurt is all. 

Did you read my post?  Snaps with Dalton.  And, yes, those two could take damn near every snap with Dalton.

Archived