Possibilities at 9

More and more I am thinking that the pick should be Taco Charlton.  He fits our biggest need exactly.  Perfect as a 3-down, right-side DE in our 4-3.  Really impressive player, but not so impressive that he won't be available at #9.  Although Carolina at #8 is a possibility.  

My problem is one year of production. And really besides the osu game not that great. there are much better options at 9 and in the second round.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

This draft seems to have a few true blue chippers, but I think they will all be gone by the time the Bengals make their pick, with the possible exception of Fournette and OJ Howard who may still be there.  Unfortunately for the Bengals, Garrett is the only one that addresses a glaring need.

I have the blue chippers ranked in this order.  

1. Garrett

2. Jamal Adams

3. Fournette

4. Hooker

5. Jonathan Allen

6. OJ Howard

think there is a little drop off to the next guy after these 6.

THis is coming from a position of ignorance. I'm having a busy day so checking this instead of looking it up myself. 

Didnt thomas have short arms?

wasnt Allen not very strong and plays Atkins position?

isnt reddick a former de and a projection at lb?

33 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

His is coming from a position of ignorance. I'm having a busy day so checking this instead of looking it up myself. 

Didnt thomas have short arms?

wasnt Allen not very strong and plays Atkins position?

isnt reddick a former de and a projection at lb?

Thomas had 33" arms which is average

Allen did fine on bench (21 reps) and has 4 years of game tape to show his power. He can play anywhere on the line.

Reddick was a corner turned 3-4 OLB in college. Freak athlete. Had a ton of TFL and sacks. Also excellent in coverage. Moved to MLB at Senior Bowl and was one of, if not the best player there. 

This is kind of an odd draft for me.  Most of the guys I like in 1 either won't be there, or are reaches at 9.  But there are a ton of guys I like in 2, but only 1 pick.

Would be more than happy to trade down to 15 and get a corey davis type, but anyways get a second and third for trading down, then trade that same third and a 5th comp to get a late second rounder. Thats would make 3 second round picks. So in conclusion we traded down 6 spots, we got 3 second rounders and all we lost was a comp pick. Imo i would go walker/kpassagnon, elflien, mcmillan. 3 biggest needs adressed in second round and got a so called "luxury pick" although i dont believe so in the first.

7 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Been talk that allen has legitimate shot at sliding to us due to all his injuries

if he starts to slide because of his shoulders there's a good chance he slides right by us as well....can't see the Bengals taking a guy at 9 with two bad shoulders regardless of how highly touted he is. 

13 hours ago, Jason said:

This is kind of an odd draft for me.  Most of the guys I like in 1 either won't be there, or are reaches at 9.  But there are a ton of guys I like in 2, but only 1 pick.

Last time the draft was like that for us was the Keith Rivers draft.

I can't put my finger on the reason, but I think Solomon Thomas is a bust.  The hype train on this guy is unbelievable.  I think the media is falling in love with the "Stanford guy" and overrating the play.  He had basically one really good game.  There are a lot of D-linemen that are considered late-first through third round picks that would have stood out on that Stanford defense.  

Not buying Thomas as a top-10 player.  

3 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

I can't put my finger on the reason, but I think Solomon Thomas is a bust.  The hype train on this guy is unbelievable.  I think the media is falling in love with the "Stanford guy" and overrating the play.  He had basically one really good game.  There are a lot of D-linemen that are considered late-first through third round picks that would have stood out on that Stanford defense.  

Not buying Thomas as a top-10 player.  

He was dominant all season

1 hour ago, akiliMVP said:

He was dominant all season

He wasnt dominant in this game.  He was handled, mostly one-on-one by the KSU right guard and sometimes RT.  His half sack was a good hustle play, but it wasnt a good pass rush.  He was initially blown off the LOS and then came back around to stop a scrambling QB after he held onto the ball for about 7 seconds.  Coverage sack.  

Lots of guys were dominant all season and much more so than Thomas.  Derek Barnett was dominant for 3 years and was twice the player that Thomas was in any one of those seasons.  But few people are talking about him being a top-10 pick.  

If you play Thomas on the outside and expect him to rush the passer he will not be successful.  He will be a 3-5 sack guy.  If you play him inside you are basically hoping that he will become Geno or Aaron Donald.  I don't see that level of player.  I just don't get the love.  And I don't see where he fits with the Bengals.  We already have Geno, why draft a poor man's Geno.  

I don't get how people talk so much about Thomas being this top-10 or top-5 pick and they don't talk about Malik McDowell who is so much more impressive than Thomas it is silly.  

18 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

He wasnt dominant in this game.  He was handled, mostly one-on-one by the KSU right guard and sometimes RT.  His half sack was a good hustle play, but it wasnt a good pass rush.  He was initially blown off the LOS and then came back around to stop a scrambling QB after he held onto the ball for about 7 seconds.  Coverage sack.  

Lots of guys were dominant all season and much more so than Thomas.  Derek Barnett was dominant for 3 years and was twice the player that Thomas was in any one of those seasons.  But few people are talking about him being a top-10 pick.  

If you play Thomas on the outside and expect him to rush the passer he will not be successful.  He will be a 3-5 sack guy.  If you play him inside you are basically hoping that he will become Geno or Aaron Donald.  I don't see that level of player.  I just don't get the love.  And I don't see where he fits with the Bengals.  We already have Geno, why draft a poor man's Geno.  

I don't get how people talk so much about Thomas being this top-10 or top-5 pick and they don't talk about Malik McDowell who is so much more impressive than Thomas it is silly.  

Because McDowell is a dumbass and wasn't productive.

Thomas is 273 lbs. He is not Geno or a DT. He is an end. He was productive, dominated the combine, is extremely intelligent and great character.

What's not to like? That he's an inch shorter than preferred for ends?

2 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Because McDowell is a dumbass and wasn't productive.

Thomas is 273 lbs. He is not Geno or a DT. He is an end. He was productive, dominated the combine, is extremely intelligent and great character.

What's not to like? That he's an inch shorter than preferred for ends?

He isnt an end in a 4-3.  He barely played end at all in college and got almost no pass rush when he played end.  If he plays end in a 4-3 in the pros he will disappear.

McDowell get so much more push and penetration than Thomas.  You would really rather play Thomas on the interior of your DL than Thomas?  As far as intelligence, who gives a shit?  He is playing defensive line he isnt preparing my tax return.  

14 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

He isnt an end in a 4-3.  He barely played end at all in college and got almost no pass rush when he played end.  If he plays end in a 4-3 in the pros he will disappear.

McDowell get so much more push and penetration than Thomas.  You would really rather play Thomas on the interior of your DL than Thomas?  As far as intelligence, who gives a shit?  He is playing defensive line he isnt preparing my tax return.  

He played end and tackle at Stanford. Mostly tackle yes. It's somewhat of a projection but there's nothing that says he can't do it.

Intelligence is important for football. McDowell has major character concerns. He was not well liked at msu by the coaches. 6.5 CAREER sacks in 3 years. He is lazy and has terrible technique. Thomas is the opposite in every way.

And I'm not playing either in the interior.

27 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

He played end and tackle at Stanford. Mostly tackle yes. It's somewhat of a projection but there's nothing that says he can't do it.

Intelligence is important for football. McDowell has major character concerns. He was not well liked at msu by the coaches. 6.5 CAREER sacks in 3 years. He is lazy and has terrible technique. Thomas is the opposite in every way.

And I'm not playing either in the interior.

Major character concerns?  PacMan Jones has major character concerns.  Malik McDowell just didnt play hard toward the end of the season.  Exact same thing was said about Geno and Carlos.  

Thomas didnt play well at end, and barely played end at all, but you think he is worth a top-10 pick to play end.

14 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

Major character concerns?  PacMan Jones has major character concerns.  Malik McDowell just didnt play hard toward the end of the season.  Exact same thing was said about Geno and Carlos.  

Thomas didnt play well at end, and barely played end at all, but you think he is worth a top-10 pick to play end.

There's more to McDowell than not playing.

I'm not the only one. He's CBS' #3 ranked player. He played well everywhere he lined up.

23 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

My revised big board for Cincy

1. DE Myles Garrett, Texas A&M

2. DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford

3. DT/DE Johnathan Allen, Alabama

4. RB Leonard Fournette, LSU

5. LB Haason Reddick, Temple

I'm with you on Reddick.  It sounds like he's better in coverage than Foster and doesn't have the concussion history.  My top-5 would be:

1. DE Myles Garrett

2. LB Haason Reddick

3. LB Reuben Foster

4. TE OJ Howard

5. WR Corey Davis

I'm worried about Foster's concussions, Allen's shoulders.  I like Solomon Thomas, I'm just not sure we'd use him properly.  As for Fournette...I just think he runs too upright and I'm not sure how durable he'll be.  

Archived