Possibilities at 9

On 3/25/2017 at 9:36 PM, Jpoore said:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/03/81084/video-top-nfl-draft-prospect-malik-hooker-shows-off-one-handed-catching-abilities?amp
Just gonna put this here
Guys got HANDS. I wasnt gonnna be super excited if we got hooker, but more and more i hope he gets pact chargers and gets to us.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

All this makes me want to do is buy Malik 3-5 more footballs.

1 hour ago, turningpoint said:

It's funny, a lot of people have forgotten about him....

We're pretty much gaining 3 1st round draft picks this year...

CedO will be playing his natural position and WJ3....plus whoever we draft at 9....this team is reloading with talent from what we already have, just most fans are blind and want us to make a LAVARLEAP!!!

4.  Let's not forget before the draft a LOT of people had Billings rated in the teens to early 20s.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

4.  Let's not forget before the draft a LOT of people had Billings rated in the teens to early 20s.

I think Billings is going to be the highlight of that draft when we look back in a few years. That's a bold statement from me because I'm a yuuuuge Tyler Boyd homer since I followed his career at Pitt and think he's going to be great in the NFL.

I've been disappointed with a lot of the recent Bengals drafts, not a big fan of a lot of the picks over the past few years, buuuuut I thought we hit a home run last year as far as building for the future goes. WJIII has great potential, Tyler Boyd has already proven he can hang with the big boys, Billings has a very high ceiling, Vigil could be a decent to good starter, the coaching staff seems to like Westerman a lot, Core is meh and I think a lot of message board folks overrate his potential, and Fej could be a good backup/good STer for us for a few years. I'm usually not so optimistic with our drafts but I loved, loved, loved the 2016 picks.

19 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I think Billings is going to be the highlight of that draft when we look back in a few years. That's a bold statement from me because I'm a yuuuuge Tyler Boyd homer since I followed his career at Pitt and think he's going to be great in the NFL.

I've been disappointed with a lot of the recent Bengals drafts, not a big fan of a lot of the picks over the past few years, buuuuut I thought we hit a home run last year as far as building for the future goes. WJIII has great potential, Tyler Boyd has already proven he can hang with the big boys, Billings has a very high ceiling, Vigil could be a decent to good starter, the coaching staff seems to like Westerman a lot, Core is meh and I think a lot of message board folks overrate his potential, and Fej could be a good backup/good STer for us for a few years. I'm usually not so optimistic with our drafts but I loved, loved, loved the 2016 picks.

The three young guys on defense from that class are a big key to both 2017 and the longer term future.

The Bengals seem to think they got 3 long-term starters on that side of the ball. You can tell they think very highly of Jackson, Vigil and Billings. But they were also very optimistic about Ogbuehi.

So we'll have to wait and see, but their confidence is better than the alternative (you could tell Dawson was verging on bust status right after his rookie year for example). 

50 minutes ago, happyrid said:

The three young guys on defense from that class are a big key to both 2017 and the longer term future.

The Bengals seem to think they got 3 long-term starters on that side of the ball. You can tell they think very highly of Jackson, Vigil and Billings. But they were also very optimistic about Ogbuehi.

So we'll have to wait and see, but their confidence is better than the alternative (you could tell Dawson was verging on bust status right after his rookie year for example). 

And he may yet prove them right. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

And he may yet prove them right. 

And he may be another Armon Binns playing Larry Fitzgerald on the scout team.

Or a Margus Hunt that's a one trick pony with "potential" that never panned out.

Or a Bodine that the coaches love and won't give up on regardless of his not-so-great play.

Let's just hope he's at least a Jeremy Hill and has 1/2 of a good year.

Seriously though, the coaching staff isn't going to bash the shit out of Ced, so I don't know what people expect. The coaching staff is optimistic about a lot of guys, so they're going to prove themselves right about anyone on the roster that pans out.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

And he may be another Armon Binns playing Larry Fitzgerald on the scout team.

Or a Margus Hunt that's a one trick pony with "potential" that never panned out.

Or a Bodine that the coaches love and won't give up on regardless of his not-so-great play.

Let's just hope he's at least a Jeremy Hill and has 1/2 of a good year.

Seriously though, the coaching staff isn't going to bash the shit out of Ced, so I don't know what people expect. The coaching staff is optimistic about a lot of guys, so they're going to prove themselves right about anyone on the roster that pans out.

As I said in another thread, we won't know for sure until the season starts.  Until then I choose to be optimistic that the work he is putting in this offseason will pay off. :) 

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

As I said in another thread, we won't know for sure until the season starts.  Until then I choose to be optimistic that the work he is putting in this offseason will pay off. :) 

Well he chooses to be negative, i mean realistic, because he know's line play. 

6 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Somebody tell the HOF in Canton to get a mold of Ced head sans sleeveless hoodie because he's training with the esteemed Jay Glazer this offseason and some Bengals fan believe in him!!!111!!!

19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

so all Ced gets is a few starts at a couple of different position while never having an off-season under his belt and fans are have already written him off......hilarious.

....and typical. 

Seriously.

As fans, all we have is opimism. We can assume the line will be terrible and complain about it for 5 months until the season starts or be hopeful that the OL gets straightened out by then. There is still the draft and more FA left.

3 hours ago, turningpoint said:

This is a hilarious position to take. 

"Holy shit this guy actually understands and regularly discusses some of the nuances of different football positions? What a loser!!!!!! "

I should just do what everyone else on this board does and take an extreme, hard line stance of either "everything sucks and there's no hope" or else "everything is awesome and that's that". 

It's interesting that a lot of people argue my points as if I take a very extreme stance. I've never said it's impossible for these guys to improve or that it's absolutely impossible for the line to turn out to be decent. All I've done was poke some fun at extreme hyperbole and extreme and unrealistic optimism. I've never vehemently argued against the guys being positive but reasonable. 

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

As fans, all we have is opimism. We can assume the line will be terrible and complain about it for 5 months until the season starts or be hopeful that the OL gets straightened out by then. There is still the draft and more FA left.

OR we could discuss specific aspects of each players game and why we think he will improve, regress, or play at a similar level. 

I mean, I guess we could all be "optimistic" if you consider optimism to mean every player on the team magically becomes great over the summer. I don't know what the fun in that would be if every single person on here assumes we're trotting out 53 amazing players come September. The board would die with no discussion in that case.

On 3/31/2017 at 6:32 PM, Hooky said:

I really think this will happen. I forget but Did CedO even play much at LT in pre-season or training camp or pretty was Whit entrenched there?

Things I did not know:

Forrest Lamp  G Western Kentucky, is Scouts Inc.'s #11 ranked player with a 91 grade. A left tackle, who will transition to NFL guard...maybe. He played some at RG in school, and a lot more at RT. Called "the next great NFL guard"...maybe. 

Yes, I know, logical people don't take guards with the 9th pick. But a gifted offensive lineman, who you could plug and play at any number of line spots (where curiously people are needed)...? 

On 3/31/2017 at 8:47 PM, omgdrdoom said:

OR we could discuss specific aspects of each players game and why we think he will improve, regress, or play at a similar level. 

I mean, I guess we could all be "optimistic" if you consider optimism to mean every player on the team magically becomes great over the summer. I don't know what the fun in that would be if every single person on here assumes we're trotting out 53 amazing players come September. The board would die with no discussion in that case.

Actually, optimism is expecting young players to get better with more experience, especially when they come from college systems that are a lot less pro styled than in the past.  It's pretty much what happens in every profession.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, BlackBengal said:

If we are just talking about team needs, WR is way down the list.  We need RDE, CB, OL and LB.  

Bodine is a FA next yr & i'd love to draft a quality Center to replace him this yr or be there for next yr to be the starter....  there will be 4 or 5 of them in rds 2-3-4..

plus Bodine has been a weak link.....pushed backwards too much.....

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, WRAPradio said:

The more I think about it, I think OJ Howard is the way to go...hear me out before you crucify me!

1.  Directly helps our running game AND passing game.

2.  If/when Eifert is hurt we'd still have a viable TE

3.  Let's us continue to develop Boyd instead of getting another WR in front of him

4.  Makes us almost impossible to defend in the red zone with Eifert, AJ and Gio already on the squad

5.  While I still believe defense wins championships, it's a deep defensive draft.

The Oline talent isn't great at the top of this draft and OJ is probably the best run blocking TE coming out this year.  This is the next best thing to drafting an olineman as he can be an extra blocker or an extra pass catcher on any down.  This makes the offense less predictable and versatile if we play him and Eifert together.  I'm on board for OJ...if the player fits...

imo it should be Barnette or Howard...one of them should be there....

if not,

Cook is my 3rd choice....

On 3/31/2017 at 5:38 PM, spicoli said:

so all Ced gets is a few starts at a couple of different position while never having an off-season under his belt and fans are have already written him off......hilarious.

....and typical. 

Actually, with Ced at LT, I've written off Dalton.  :19:

On 4/9/2017 at 0:43 AM, snarkster said:

Actually, with Ced at LT, I've written off Dalton.  :19:

I saw highlights of his senior year (5th year) when he played left tackle my God he was even worse then right tackle   . He gave up a sack a game   .  His technique is just garbage  .  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 11:35 AM, BlackBengal said:

Reuben Foster, Zach Cunningham, Takkarist Mckinly, Reakwon McMillan, Jarrad Davis, Ben Gedeon, Duke Riley, Anthony Walker, Kendell Beckworth, Ryan Anderson

I will even throw in Tim Williams.  Even though I have heard that his character concerns are massive, despite never being charged with a felony like Reddick has.  He doesnt really fit in the Bengals system, but is twice the pass rusher that Reddick is and unlike Reddick has the size to be a situational pass rusher at RDE.

I will also throw in TJ Watt who is listed as a LB, but would probably play RDE in the Bengals' system.  

Reddick was the first LB drafted, I guess those NFL coaches and scouts are stupid....lol

This is a classic thread btw..

Archived