MichaelWeston

Possibilities at 9

449 posts in this topic

Wanted to highlight this to see if we should add names

QB: None

RB: Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette

WR: Mike Williams, Corey Davis, John Ross

TE: None

OL: None

DL: Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen, Taco Charlton, Malik McDowell, Derek Barnett

LB: Reuben Foster

S: Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams

CB: Marshon Lattimore

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take: I would never take a RB in the first round. Their shelf life is too short. I have heard reports that Mike Williams might run in the 4.65 range. If that's the case he is off the board for me. it moves Corey Davis up because I think the dropoff at WR is substantial this year. There are 6 DL listed there. That tells me that we can probably get a good one at 41. Maybe not, I am sure some of the other draftniks here know more there. I like Reuben Foster. I am starting to really warmup to these safeties who I keep hearing could be total game changers.

 

My order would be

Myles Garrett

Corey Davis 

Reuben Foster

Malik Hooker

Jamal Adams

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I have heard reports that Mike Williams might run in the 4.65 range.

That is way too much importance to put on how fast a guy runs in spandex.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take Zay Jones in r2 over ANY WR we might be able to get at #9.....all day long.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

That is way too much importance to put on how fast a guy runs in spandex.

Yep. I wouldn't take him at #9 because I feel like we have bigger fish to fry than WR. Nothing to do with how fast he runs in a 40 yard dash.

There's more than enough college tape on these guys where the combine means a lot to fans and analysts but much less to the NFL front offices.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

these combine #'s for the top guys could mean the difference between being a top 25 pick vs a top 10 pick.

if all the tape is pretty equal for these guys, which it's gonna be for the top guys, then the combine is where a guy has a chance to pull away a little bit.

believe me, that matters.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spicoli said:

these combine #'s for the top guys could mean the difference between being a top 25 pick vs a top 10 pick.

if all the tape is pretty equal for these guys, which it's gonna be for the top guys, then the combine is where a guy has a chance to pull away a little bit.

believe me, that matters.  

No doubt there are some instances where it definitely matters and can change things up a bit. I'm just saying that the tape out on these guys is infinitely more important to NFL franchises and that the combine numbers matter a lot more to the casual viewer and for news outlets to get ratings. Not saying the combine doesn't matter at all to NFL teams, but it definitely means less to them than most fans and media outlets.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LaQuan Treadwell has been Mike Williams comparison of late. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, omgdrdoom said:

No doubt there are some instances where it definitely matters and can change things up a bit. I'm just saying that the tape out on these guys is infinitely more important to NFL franchises and that the combine numbers matter a lot more to the casual viewer and for news outlets to get ratings. Not saying the combine doesn't matter at all to NFL teams, but it definitely means less to them than most fans and media outlets.

I don't think that's really true. If someone runs slow they might investigate it more and double check but combine numbers have caused people to jump way up and to fall. Especially at the WR position. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I would take Zay Jones in r2 over ANY WR we might be able to get at #9.....all day long.

I have heard he will be a slot guy. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones will be able to play anywhere......think Chad Johnson with no baggage. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I don't think that's really true. If someone runs slow they might investigate it more and double check but combine numbers have caused people to jump way up and to fall. Especially at the WR position. 

How do you know that? Jump and fall from what? I just said how it matters to analysts, you know, the guys with the boards that they "jump" and "fall" from. Lol that's my entire point.

People are like "OMG PLAYER X FELL TO THE SECOND ROUND!!!", well, maybe NFL front offices had that guy as a 2nd round mark to begin with? You just never really know unless teams reveal that information.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You honestly don't think guys like Chris Conley or Phillip Dorsett get a boost from the combine. You don't think guys fall for running slowly? Why would all of these people come to this meaningless event?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

You honestly don't think guys like Chris Conley or Phillip Dorsett get a boost from the combine. You don't think guys fall for running slowly? Why would all of these people come to this meaningless event?

Well let's see. I never said it was meaningless. I never said guys never fall for running slowly. I never said those guys didn't get a boost from the draft.

I probably said something like...

41 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

There's more than enough college tape on these guys where the combine means a lot to fans and analysts but much less to the NFL front offices.

Or maybe even

18 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

No doubt there are some instances where it definitely matters and can change things up a bit. I'm just saying that the tape out on these guys is infinitely more important to NFL franchises and that the combine numbers matter a lot more to the casual viewer and for news outlets to get ratings. Not saying the combine doesn't matter at all to NFL teams, but it definitely means less to them than most fans and media outlets.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Jones will be able to play anywhere......think Chad Johnson with no baggage. 

You know he's Jeff Blake's nephew, he's destined to wear the Orange and Black....

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the combine can matter, I just have this crazy feeling that their college tape matters a LOT more to NFL franchises than how fast they can run in a 40.

I definitely agree with the guy who mentioned that seeing a terrible combine could make teams want to go back and check the tape again and see if they missed anything originally, all I'm saying is that I doubt draft boards (from NFL teams, NOT analysts) jump all over the place after the combine, at least not as much as the average fan seems to believe.

I could be completely wrong, but I've seen enough guys destroy the combine to get picked in the 6th round and vice versa to believe it's the tape that matters over anything, by a long shot. I haven't read anything from NFL teams that say otherwise, but I'd love to see the source material if you have it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You know he's Jeff Blake's nephew, he's destined to wear the Orange and Black....

Nope, did not know that

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yep. I wouldn't take him at #9 because I feel like we have bigger fish to fry than WR. Nothing to do with how fast he runs in a 40 yard dash.

There's more than enough college tape on these guys where the combine means a lot to fans and analysts but much less to the NFL front offices.

Our OC said differently just yesterday. Said there are certain 40 times you want to see as benchmarks at WR for certain rounds.

He definitely made it sound like we wouldn't take a slow WR in the 1st round. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, happyrid said:

Our OC said differently just yesterday. Said there are certain 40 times you want to see as benchmarks at WR for certain rounds.

He definitely made it sound like we wouldn't take a slow WR in the 1st round. 

Well if that's what Zampese wants then I hope every WR runs slow enough to not be taken at #9.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Wanted to highlight this to see if we should add names

QB: None

RB: Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette

WR: Mike Williams, Corey Davis

TE: None

OL: None

DL: Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen, Taco Charlton, Mike McDowell, Derek Barnett

LB: Reuben Foster

S: Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams

CB: None

Good list. 

Have to have Garrett on there I guess, but zero chance he gets out of the top 3. Those other 5 names at DL are most likely where we will see our pick come from. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, omgdrdoom said:

Well if that's what Zampese wants then I hope every WR runs slow enough to not be taken at #9.

I don't think that's the direction they want to go. He talked a lot about adding speed and mentioned adding a fast WR multiple times. 

I think they're going to target one of these real speedster types (Taywan Taylor for example) in the mid-rounds. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Wanted to highlight this to see if we should add names

QB: None

RB: Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette

WR: Mike Williams, Corey Davis

TE: None

OL: None

DL: Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen, Taco Charlton, Mike McDowell, Derek Barnett

LB: Reuben Foster

S: Malik Hooker, Jamal Adams

CB: None

Are the "none"'s in general or Bengal specific?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Are the "none"'s in general or Bengal specific?

Bengal specific. I hope. And I hope that other teams load up there so we get our pick of the litter.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Bengal specific. I hope. And I hope that other teams load up there so we get our pick of the litter.

Ok.  Like it or not, I still think Lattimore is a possibility at 9 if we lose Dre and Adam. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jason said:

Ok.  Like it or not, I still think Lattimore is a possibility at 9 if we lose Dre and Adam. 

If we lose Dre, you better bet your ass Adam Jones is on the 53 regardless of who he spits on or punches.

The only thing keeping Jones off the roster if Kirkpatrick walks is jailtime.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now