Possibilities at 9

The more I think about it, I think OJ Howard is the way to go...hear me out before you crucify me!

1.  Directly helps our running game AND passing game.

2.  If/when Eifert is hurt we'd still have a viable TE

3.  Let's us continue to develop Boyd instead of getting another WR in front of him

4.  Makes us almost impossible to defend in the red zone with Eifert, AJ and Gio already on the squad

5.  While I still believe defense wins championships, it's a deep defensive draft.

The Oline talent isn't great at the top of this draft and OJ is probably the best run blocking TE coming out this year.  This is the next best thing to drafting an olineman as he can be an extra blocker or an extra pass catcher on any down.  This makes the offense less predictable and versatile if we play him and Eifert together.  I'm on board for OJ...if the player fits...

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

1. I think Solomon Thomas goes top 5 and Myles Garrett is obviously long gone. I'd love to have either but I think it's a moot point.

assuming Allen checks out healthwise, who in the top 5 is gonna take Thomas?

Cleveland- Garrett

SF- a QB or Allen

Chi- a QB or Allen

Jax- Fournette or a safety

Tenn- Lattimore or a safety

actually the more I look at the top 8 in this draft, the more I think Thomas falls right into our laps because the biggest need for the teams in front of us are at QB and secondary.....Fournette gets in to the top 8 simply because he's too good not to, then you have a QB, 3 DB's plus Garrett and Allen...that leaves Carolina at 8 and their biggest needs are at CB and RB, so maybe Fournette "falls" to them or maybe they take a late rising CB like Gareon Conley or overdraft and take Dalvin Cook or Christian McCaffrey....that leaves us looking at a group that would likely include Thomas, Foster, Barnett and Reddick.....if that's the case, Thomas would be a no-brainer IMO......if not Thomas then my second option would for sure be Haason Reddick. 

11 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

The more I think about it, I think OJ Howard is the way to go...hear me out before you crucify me!

3.  Let's us continue to develop Boyd instead of getting another WR in front of him

4.  Makes us almost impossible to defend in the red zone with Eifert, AJ and Gio already on the squad

5.  While I still believe defense wins championships, it's a deep defensive draft.

The Oline talent isn't great at the top of this draft and OJ is probably the best run blocking TE coming out this year.  This is the next best thing to drafting an olineman as he can be an extra blocker or an extra pass catcher on any down.  This makes the offense less predictable and versatile if we play him and Eifert together.  I'm on board for OJ...if the player fits...

I like this idea a lot.  OJ Howard is going to be really good.  

OJ Howard is good but you don't use a top 10 pick on a #2 tight end who will see maybe 25% of offensive snaps if Eifert stays healthy. I understand wanting insurance in case Eifert goes down. Not #9.

I also highly doubt the Bengals change the offense into a 2 tight end set all the time.

10 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

OJ Howard is good but you don't use a top 10 pick on a #2 tight end who will see maybe 25% of offensive snaps if Eifert stays healthy. I understand wanting insurance in case Eifert goes down. Not #9.

I also highly doubt the Bengals change the offense into a 2 tight end set all the time.

We could go to a 2 TE formation as our base and he'd be on the field 80% of the time.  

Howard wouldn't be a bad choice IMO, I think he's easily a good enough player to get selected that high.

people seem to get a little too caught up in looking at him as a traditional TE when really we should just look at him as a moving piece that's capable of playing at any of the receiver spots....in what's turning into a passing league, there's no reason whatsoever we couldn't have Howard and Eifert out there together the majority of time....not necessarily as two TE's but just as two receivers.

you put Green, Howard, Boyd and Eifert all out there at the same time, who the hell is gonna cover them all? especially when you consider Howard is almost as much of a deep threat as AJ Green is. 

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

I'd be ok with it too.  Not only is it Eifert insurance, but it also means we don't have to dump a buttload of cash into TE for a few more years.  And as much as I like Tyler, his injury history screams "don't sink a buttload of money into me!" Maybe that money gets spent on Zeitler.

12 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Howard wouldn't be a bad choice IMO, I think he's easily a good enough player to get selected that high.

people seem to get a little too caught up in looking at him as a traditional TE when really we should just look at him as a moving piece that's capable of playing at any of the receiver spots....in what's turning into a passing league, there's no reason whatsoever we couldn't have Howard and Eifert out there together the majority of time....not necessarily as two TE's but just as two receivers.

you put Green, Howard, Boyd and Eifert all out there at the same time, who the hell is gonna cover them all? especially when you consider Howard is almost as much of a deep threat as AJ Green is. 

I totally agree.  Plus the fact with two TEs your pass/run option is only predicated on down and distance and not personnel groups.  I still think we need speed on offense, but OJ Howard makes the most sense IMO.

Lets get something clear right now. Howard is probably the best pass catching tight end in the draft. He is not i repeat not the best blocking or overall tight end. That award goes to jake butt. He is jason witten 2.0

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

Lets get something clear right now. Howard is probably the best pass catching tight end in the draft. He is not i repeat not the best blocking or overall tight end. That award goes to jake butt. He is jason witten 2.0

According to PFF he is, that's what I'm going off of.  I know some people don't like PFF, but the bottom line is he's a really good blocker in the running game and he's not a liability.  Plus, when they played A&M, he did really well the few times he had Myles Garrett 1-on-1.  

According to PFF he is, that's what I'm going off of.  I know some people don't like PFF, but the bottom line is he's a really good blocker in the running game and he's not a liability.  Plus, when they played A&M, he did really well the few times he had Myles Garrett 1-on-1.  

Me personally id take jake butt in the third over oj howard in the first. Its all about value.

11 hours ago, spicoli said:

assuming Allen checks out healthwise, who in the top 5 is gonna take Thomas?

Cleveland- Garrett

SF- a QB or Allen

Chi- a QB or Allen

Jax- Fournette or a safety

Tenn- Lattimore or a safety

actually the more I look at the top 8 in this draft, the more I think Thomas falls right into our laps because the biggest need for the teams in front of us are at QB and secondary.....Fournette gets in to the top 8 simply because he's too good not to, then you have a QB, 3 DB's plus Garrett and Allen...that leaves Carolina at 8 and their biggest needs are at CB and RB, so maybe Fournette "falls" to them or maybe they take a late rising CB like Gareon Conley or overdraft and take Dalvin Cook or Christian McCaffrey....that leaves us looking at a group that would likely include Thomas, Foster, Barnett and Reddick.....if that's the case, Thomas would be a no-brainer IMO......if not Thomas then my second option would for sure be Haason Reddick. 

Agree to disagree. I think every single one of those teams could take Thomas. 

Thomas is a versatile, extremely athletic, productive 21-year old with impeccable character and no major injury worries. In a weak draft at the top, I don't see how he makes it to 9.

He's a better prospect than Allen even if Allen is healthy. I don't know if it's fully sunk in for people how atrocious Allen's testing numbers were across the board. He put up numbers in basically every drill that right in line with the combine average for DTs. And he did that as a 286 pound DT/DE tweener. Any draftable DE/DT tweener should be putting up better numbers than the average for all DTs (which includes the 330 pounders). Much less a tweener getting top 5 buzz... 

actually I said in another post that if San Fran winds up with Kirk Cousins, there's a great chance they take Thomas #2 overall.

if he gets by them though and Chicago takes a QB, there's a pretty decent shot he makes it to us at 9 with all the secondary needs in front of us.

it'll definitely be interesting to watch play out. 

6 minutes ago, spicoli said:

actually I said in another post that if San Fran winds up with Kirk Cousins, there's a great chance they take Thomas #2 overall.

if he gets by them though and Chicago takes a QB, there's a pretty decent shot he makes it to us at 9 with all the secondary needs in front of us.

it'll definitely be interesting to watch play out. 

Where would Thomas play with Armstead and Buckner already in house?

Howard is superior to Butt in every way. Still don't want him! I'd take Butt (no homo) or a similar type in the mid rounds.

Butt is the jason wittens of the world. He cat block a de with ease 1 on 1. He is so much of a better blocker than howard its not even up for discussion. But howard is so much more of a passing threat vertically ala olsen its not even funny. Butt was a first rounder till the injury. Now hes probably around in the third. I would grab him.

Archived