Reuben Foster Kicked Out of Combine

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Right?  If the NFL ever decides to replace the Super Bowl with a 40-yard dash contest we can sign him from whatever practice squad he lands on.  I'm sure to say this a few more times before it's done but draft hype is ridiculous.

Looking at the list of players that have ran a sub 4.3 forty and it's an unimpressive list. The best player by far is Chris Johnson and he had a great season before he fell off the map, the rest of those guys barely made NFL rosters. Running fast in a straight line doesn't make you a good professional football player. 

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Looking at the list of players that have ran a sub 4.3 forty and it's an unimpressive list. The best player by far is Chris Johnson and he had a great season before he fell off the map, the rest of those guys barely made NFL rosters. Running fast in a straight line doesn't make you a good professional football player. 

keep in mind too though that most of those players weren't projected very high even after they burnt up the track.

if teams don't think you were that good of a player to begin with, running a fast 40 isn't going to change that much.

John Ross was considered a very good player though and likely first round pick before he ran, that 40 time just enhanced everything. 

5 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

My point exactly.  My question with any of these guys is how did they perform when they faced other elite talent and did they do it consistently the rest of the time. Margus Hunt is a world-class athlete but not a very good defensive lineman.  If this guy was also breaking school records, winning games, winning awards etc etc.. Great. I don't know if he was or wasn't but I do know that every year, particularly since they started televising the combine, the draft hype turns workout warriors into something their not.

3 minutes ago, spicoli said:

keep in mind too though that most of those players weren't projected very high even after the burnt up the track.

if teams don't think you were that good of a player to begin with, running a fast 40 isn't going to change that much.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/john-ross?id=2558010

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Has home-run gear to yank the top off of defenses. Vertical speed demands respect and creates open throws underneath. Corners open hips early to turn and sprint, leaving his curl and dig routes unchallenged. Feet are fire. On verticals from the slot, sells the corner route and stems to the post with a burst for easy separation and a comfortable throwing window for the quarterback. Hands are generally solid. Plus hand-eye coordination. Natural ball-tracker who locates the deep ball early and watches it. Dangerous show-and-go open-field ability after the catch. Able to win with slants or fades near the goal line. Eludes the first tackler and can turn a short one into a long one in a heartbeat. Has enough size to work from outside or from the slot. Saw four of his eight carries go for 15-plus yards. Has returned at least one kickoff for a touchdown in each of his three years at Washington.

WEAKNESSES

Undersized with below-average play strength. Struggled to get into his routes cleanly and impact the game against the physical cornerbacks at Alabama. Weight will creep too far out over his toes at times. Tape shows occasional stumbles over nothing but turf in his routes and after the catch. Needs to do better job of working back to the throw. Has to learn to make contested catches. Will need to sharpen his short and intermediate routes to become a true three-level target. Has had a major injury to both knees. The long-term health of both knees will be a concern that has to be answered at the combine.

SOURCES TELL US

"He will get emotional on the field when he drops one or when their quarterback leaves an open deep ball short, and I've heard other scouts call it 'bad body language.' I just think he's an edgy player. He's competitive and shows it. You'll take some attitude when a guy scores as many touchdowns as he does." -- West Coast scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Will Fuller

BOTTOM LINE

Ross is an instant-impact weapon who scored 23 touchdowns in just 112 touches. He should be able to step right in as a kick returner and a slot receiver, but teams with speed at tight end might utilize him outside to create extreme vertical stress on opposing safeties. If his knees check out as healthy, Ross is a likely first-round pick with the rare ability to become a high-volume slot receiver or a lesser-targeted, high-yield deep-ball threat.

-Lance Zierlein

C
GRADE TITLE
9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
8.00-9.00 Perennial All-Pro
7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl to All-Pro Ability
6.50-6.99 Good NFL Starter with Pro Bowl Potential
6.00-6.49 Chance to become good NFL starter
5.70-5.99 Could become early NFL starter
5.30-5.69 Backup or eventual starter
5.15-5.29 Developmental prospect or special teams potential
5.01-5.14 Back end of the roster
5.00 50/50 Chance of making the roster

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

ok? 

like I said, first round talent before he ran.

Er.. what?

Undersized with below-average play strength. Struggled to get into his routes cleanly and impact the game against the physical cornerbacks at Alabama. Weight will creep too far out over his toes at times. Tape shows occasional stumbles over nothing but turf in his routes and after the catch. Needs to do better job of working back to the throw. Has to learn to make contested catches. Will need to sharpen his short and intermediate routes to become a true three-level target. Has had a major injury to both knees. The long-term health of both knees will be a concern..

First-round talent, mid-round ability. 

5 minutes ago, spicoli said:

keep in mind too though that most of those players weren't projected very high even after they burnt up the track.

John Ross was considered a very good player though and likely first round pick before he ran, that 40 time just enhanced everything. 

Exactly.  81 catches, 1150 yards and 17 tds last year.

You're not just going to run past NFL cornerbacks.  Almost every catch is a contested catch at this level.

Are people seriously arguing for drafting this dude at #9 when he's a shitty route-runner and has knee problems? 

Turn off ESPN and take a deep breath, seriously.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You're not just going to run past NFL cornerbacks.  Almost every catch is a contested catch at this level.

Are people seriously arguing for drafting this dude at #9 when he's a shitty route-runner and has knee problems? 

Turn off ESPN and take a deep breath, seriously.

who said anything about #9?  I'd be fucking pissed if the Bengals took him there.

33 minutes ago, spicoli said:

good chance....unless of course he ends up in NE.

Naturally, there he will become classy while doing things the right way.

Jokes aside, for the amount of coaching it sounds like this dude will need IDK how he goes in the 1st.

for those who want a LB at 9, my advice is turn your focus away from Reuben Foster and turn it towards Haason Reddick.
Reddick checks every box-
-great kid
-great player
-great production
-position versatility
-off the charts athleticism
some team will likely take Foster in the first round despite his ignorance and some team will take Reddick in the first round....if I had to bet on it, I'd say Reddick will have the much longer much more productive career in the NFL.
Matt Miller‏Verified account @nfldraftscout  1h1 hour ago More

Haason Reddick is 21 on my big board. He won't last that long.

Kyle Crabbs‏ @NDTScouting  39m39 minutes ago More

Haason Reddick: 4.52/1.60, 36.5" vt, 11'1" broad is as impressive a day you'll see outside Myles.

In the second theres mcmillan 4.61 33 vert 10"1 broad 23 bench. If we go lb in first though reddick is the guy

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Why am I thinking about Fast Eddie Brown (ref Ross) ... run real fast, drop the ball.

you sure you're not thinking of David Verser?

Eddie Brown was pretty damn solid here with Boomer back in the day. 

51 minutes ago, spicoli said:

you sure you're not thinking of David Verser?

Eddie Brown was pretty damn solid here with Boomer back in the day. 

Verser is most (in)famous for costing us the Super Bowl by going in motion the wrong way leading the D into the hole Pete Johnson was supposed to run through on the goal line.  Not sure why time out wasn't called to regroup but... ancient history.

And I always though Eddie Brown was overrated.  Seemed to put a lot of balls on the ground.

4 hours ago, Jpoore said:

In the second theres mcmillan 4.61 33 vert 10"1 broad 23 bench. If we go lb in first though reddick is the guy

couldn't agree more.

the way I see it, draft Reddick at 9 and move Vigil to the middle....or....keep Vigil on the strongside and draft Rake McMillan at 41 to play the middle.

either way that LB unit is golden for the next 5 years.

I wouldn't rule out Foster yet.  From what Mayock was saying they refined his tackling a little, and he's more heads up now and the concussions are a thing of the past.  And he issued an apology over the incident at the combine.

Archived