This is the first really interesting name I've seen in terms of outside FAs. He checks a lot of boxes in my opinion:

1. He was cut, so he doesn't take away the free 3rd rounder we're going to be in line for via Zeitler. We can argue whether this should matter a lot or not, but it's clear that the Bengals highly value these picks so it does matter in terms of what the team will do.

2. He's 25 years old (soon to be 26), so he's not a 30-something on his last legs.

3. He was a guy the Bengals reportedly really liked in the draft. We've seen us target these 1st rounders who we previously liked (Reggie Nelson, Derrick Harvey, Adam Jones, etc.) when they make it to FA in the past.

4. He's a really nice fit in terms of positional need. He has been a starter at RT and can also kick inside and be a powerful run blocker at RG. We aren't sure if Fisher's best position is RT or RG. Bringing in a guy like Fluker with some versatility makes so much sense if Zeitler leaves as expected. 

5. The price range probably makes sense. He was set to make just under $9M this year and if there was a market for him at that price, he would have been traded instead of cut. So you have to assume that his market will be less than that. Maybe something like $6M a year. Bengals don't want to pay $10-12M a year for a starting RG, but probably feel comfortable with $6M. 

Just so it's out there... "DJ" is short for Danny Lee Jesus Fluker. At this point I would expect him to show up at camp wearing overalls and carrying a scattergun.

Fluker has given up 20 sacks and had 35 penalties in 4 seasons. To quote PFF's Sam Monson - "Fluker's versatile in the same way a traffic cone is on the offensive line. It really doesn't matter if it's placed at G or T."

Just so it's out there... "DJ" is short for Danny Lee Jesus Fluker. At this point I would expect him to show up at camp wearing overalls and carrying a scattergun.

Fluker has given up 20 sacks and had 35 penalties in 4 seasons. To quote PFF's Sam Monson - "Fluker's versatile in the same way a traffic cone is on the offensive line. It really doesn't matter if it's placed at G or T."

Don't worry. Paul Alexander can coach him up. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Archived