Thoughts on the Same old Bengals Free Agent extravaganza

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

It's a mid-market franchise at best & they generally have a bean-counter approach to how they operate.  You don't have to like it but you might as well accept it.

Yeah. They're the scrappy upstarts from Major League. Dalton is Charlie Sheen, AJ is Wesley Snipes and so on. A mix of talented and often troubled youngsters with a few over the hill vets and an overpaid FA at the end of his career. Marvin's the gritty coach guy.

Add in a cheap female front office executive...

As an old timer, the Bengals is a drama that comes on 16 Sunday's every year. And like life for fans of 31 NFL Franchises each year, it usually doesn't have a happy ending. Que sura sura. As Robert Lewis Stephenson once said, "It's better to travel hopefully than arrive." I've moved on to the acceptance phase. I can now face the stark reality that after 11 seasons in stripes, Domata Peko will no longer be with us.

I'm excited to see if Billings can live up to his draft rep, or William Jackson, or a lot of other guys. Now we can add Ced and Jake to that list as well. It's a storyline in next year's season. And we still have draft picks that will spice things up. Reuben Foster seems like a Willie Mays Hayes type. Should be much more interesting than Carson's Gatorade obsession.

The Whitworth drama was more painful than losing Glenn on The Walking Dead. Especially because it all looked like he'd be back in last season's cliffhanger. Will Cedric be this year's T-Dog, or Michonne? Is Fisher a Spencer or a Daryl? Who knows, but the Front Office looks like a total bad guy here. They had him, they said they had him, told everybody they had him, and they left a man behind to be eaten by the Rams. That's frikkin' brutal dude. And then they tried to be all "But we saved Dre from servitude in a steel foundry", but it was just too late.

Wisdom comes from accepting what you can't change, and inner peace comes from hoping for the best and enjoying the ride. I have another 30 years on this planet if I don't do anything stupid, one day we'll look back on this and laugh. Remember Akili Smith against Tampa Bay? Hurt like hell that day, cracks me up now.

The team may be going to hell in a hand basket, but at least enjoy the ride.

54 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Big shoes to fill in either case, but it's the off-field stuff where we're really going to miss Whit.  We can find a competent LT, if not Ced than someone else.  The leadership vacuum though, that's a bigger issue in the long-term. 

Not to mention the impact on overall team morale. When Andy Dalton has to answer questions about being afraid for his life, you know that's going to affect the message that the team is gunning for a Super Bowl*.

* Provided we have $10M extra on hand so we can sign** our future star/current problems after said Super Bowl Victory. 

** Offer based on player taking what we think he's worth rather than market value offered by other teams. We, the Millionaire owners of an NFL Franchise by virtue of nothing more than coming from the right set of testicles, don't approve of the insensitive and greedy behavior by the men who chew up their bodies and cloud their minds for our glory.  Offer null and void if player was born before 1989. Gatorade not included.

Their is only one way to fix this piss poor offense.   Burn the fricking playbook!!  Our playbook is the worst in the league by far.  We have the dumbest formations and motion calls anyone has ever seen in the the history of football. I swear to G, if they line up with the down lineman out wide I'm going to storm the field in the nude. I have seen enough of that gosh dam awful bullshit.  Someone in management needs to man the frick up and put an end to the shittiest offensive strategy the NFL has ever seen.

RL was correct: the enjoyment of the journey does exceed the arrival. As the years have gone by, I find the actual arrival of the season to be a denouement. 

Interesting too, as I have noticed for quite some time: two months after a SB, few remember who even played in it. A chasing after the wind, as the Teacher said. 

Archived