If you could ONLY keep 1 of the 3 ???

Hypothetically: If you could ONLY keep one, which would you have preferred?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Hypothetically: If you could ONLY keep one, which would you have preferred?

• Whitworth, 3 yr 36 mill (12 per)
    • Zeitler, 5 yr 60 mill (12 per)
    • Kirkpatrick, 5 yr 50 mill (10 per)

1 of the linemen but only because there were more good CBs available as UFAs (though the Bengals wouldn't have touched them anyway) but the cupboards were fairly bare at G and completely bare at T in free agency (and the draft at that).

The Bengals could have and should have ended up with 2 of the 3 though, so the point is moot. You are making yet another shitty point in another shitty thread for trying to get everyone to see how the Bengals were "smart" if we would all vote for Dre Kirk. It was shit gameplanning by the Bengals this offseason. We've been told we're carrying money over for guys like Zeitler, so where did it go?

I defended the Bengals last year. Sanu and Jones got overpaid and we could easily replace them (LaFell & Boyd were good), letting Nelson go seemed smart at the time because Williams looked great in limited action the year before. The Bengals didn't deserve getting smashed by the fans last year.

This year (so far) they deserve it. O-line was mediocre last year and they let our best 2 linemen walk. People should stop trying to defend that, it's poor management at best. Should have retained 1 of them AND Kirkpatrick.

Whit all day. You can't even run the offense wtihout him.

Are we still a contender with Cedric Ogbuehi at LT?

Are we still a contender with Jones-Dennard-Jackson-Shaw-Russell-Benwikeree?

That's the only question that matters.

We could have figured out corner without Dre. Just like we can figure out RG without Zeitler. Not having a LT means you can't do anything on offense. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

We could have figured out corner without Dre. Just like we can figure out RG without Zeitler. Not having a LT means you can't do anything on offense. 

Yep and who else was available at LT in free agency? Are there any top prospects in the draft that are immediate impact LTs?

There were 5 or 6 names that could have been targeted at CB in free agency if they planned on letting Dre walk.

I LOVE that they retained Kirkpatrick, but he was easier to replace with what else was available. That's probably another reason we were able to keep him around to be honest. Imagine had other teams been actively pursuing him if he were one of the only top CB prospects out there. He'd be long gone with Whit and Zeitler unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

The problem is thinking of it only in terms of a 1-year decision. For just 2017, I can buy that Whit probably has more value than Dre.

But Dre is 8 years younger than Whitworth. That matters for the future. 

And there's a pretty decent chance it matters in 2017 too. People seem to be ignoring just how risky a signing Whit would have been. There are zero other 35/36 year old starting lineman in the NFL. Not a single one. Whit not seeing his play fall off a cliff last year was already an extreme outlier. There's a real chance he is washed up pretty quickly and can't continue to buck the odds.

2 minutes ago, happyrid said:

The problem is thinking of it only in terms of a 1-year decision. For just 2017, I can buy that Whit probably has more value than Dre.

But Dre is 8 years younger than Whitworth. That matters for the future. 

And there's a pretty decent chance it matters in 2017 too. People seem to be ignoring just how risky a signing Whit would have been. There are zero other 35/36 year old starting lineman in the NFL. Not a single one. Whit not seeing his play fall off a cliff last year was already an extreme outlier. There's a real chance he is washed up pretty quickly and can't continue to buck the odds.

Would you risk that for the chance not to have a failed 2017? I would. 

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

You are making yet another shitty point in another shitty thread for trying to get everyone to see how the Bengals were "smart" if we would all vote for Dre Kirk.

•  

ah ... that explains why you're an asshole. Moving along. (where's the ignore button?)

You obviously keep Kirkpatrick and it isn't even close. 

Not only is he younger by 8 years, and cheaper than Whit, but there is a good chance Whit doesn't even play through his first year, and very good he doesn't make it through year 2. 

The Bengals drafted Cedric in the First Rd to be the LT of the future, they also have Fisher as an option a Rd 2 pick, so time for him/them to produce. You could also move Ced in to G I guess if you had to, and draft an LT at 9 or still get a manageable one in FA. 

Kirkpatrick plays the premier position after QB, has rare measurables, and will certainly finish out his 5 years of the contract barring injury. 

10 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:
  •  

ah ... that explains why you're an asshole. Moving along. (where's the ignore button?)

Sensitive much?

I wish more people would realize that it's not always being positive 24/7 that equates to being realistic. Sometimes there's a good reason to have a negative outlook. Your football team is never going to make the right decision 100% of the time, it's perfectly acceptable to admit that. The Bengals fucked up this time. You want to make 5 threads in different ways Hobspinning their way out of it though.

I saw on NFLN that Whitworth can only practice one day a week because of age ... and once he is injured by week 8 of next season, and the Rams cut him next off season, then the Bengals front office might look a lot smarter, on not paying him like a starting QB at age 36. 

Him and Peko were the so called "locker room leaders", and neither got a playoff win, time to move on from both of them and have new player leadership ... I vote for Burfict and Kirkpatrick. :cool:

36 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:
  •  

Hahahaha!   Any other team lets a veteran player go, (Whitworth). and they're "smart", the Bengals do it,

and the sky is falling!  You don't give a "guard" $12 million a year.  That's close to "franchise tag" money.  

9 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

Hahahaha!   Any other team lets a veteran player go, (Whitworth). and they're "smart", the Bengals do it,

and the sky is falling!  You don't give a "guard" $12 million a year.  That's close to "franchise tag" money.  

That's not even close to true.

Any team that lets the best pass blocking LT in the league go when he's still playing at a high level is making the wrong move.

I don't care if it's the Patriots, Stealers, Bengals, or anyone else. We shouldn't have let Whit go.

Why is guard in quotes? Are you talking about Zeitler with that one? You know he IS a guard, right? I don't understand the quotations so I'm not sure what the argument is supposed to be.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

That's not even close to true.

Any team that lets the best pass blocking LT in the league go when he's still playing at a high level is making the wrong move.

I don't care if it's the Patriots, Stealers, Bengals, or anyone else. We shouldn't have let Whit go.

Why is guard in quotes? Are you talking about Zeitler with that one? You know he IS a guard, right? I don't understand the quotations so I'm not sure what the argument is supposed to be.

Yeah, no shit Zeitler is a guard.  $12 million a year isn't far off from the $14.4 million franchise tag for offensive linemen.  

For every Jackie Slater there is 50 other great tackles that are that fell off the planet play wise after 35.  A 3 year, $36 million

for Whitworth?  $15 guaranteed?  

18 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I mentioned that in another thread. I just saw a sky is falling ESPN article. He mentioned that they let their 2 FA linemen go and he threw in Jones and Sanu from last year to surmount the problem. I've never seen so much harping on lost FAs.

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

I mentioned that in another thread. I just saw a sky is falling ESPN article. He mentioned that they let their 2 FA linemen go and he threw in Jones and Sanu from last year to surmount the problem. I've never seen so much harping on lost FAs.

Day 2 of FA and people are already trippin' out!  lol  We all know the Bengals are never big players in FA.   Settle down!  haha

15 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

Yeah, no shit Zeitler is a guard.  $12 million a year isn't far off from the $14.4 million franchise tag for offensive linemen.  

For every Jackie Slater there is 50 other great tackles that are that fell off the planet play wise after 35.  A 3 year, $36 million

for Whitworth?  $15 guaranteed?  

No need for the "no shit he's a guard", I asked why you put the word guard in quotes. He is a guard, so no need for the quotations around it that would be insinuating that he's not a guard for some reason. Sorry, was just trying to clarify your post since I wasn't sure why you did that. 

I can totally get why we didn't pay both, but 1 or the other should have gotten done, "overpaid" (in your eyes) or not. Whitworth falling off a bit is still 5x the LT Ogbuehi has shown that he is. You pay to protect your quarterback. I would be more understanding if Whit wasn't one of the best pass blockers in the NFL last year. There's no chance he goes from the best to one of the worst. Wouldn't make much sense for that to happen.

Bengals homers will always say our guys are overpaid by another team as a justification for a shitty management move. Sanu was overpaid, Whit is worth every penny. 

6 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

No need for the "no shit he's a guard", I asked why you put the word guard in quotes. He is a guard, so no need for the quotations around it that would be insinuating that he's not a guard for some reason. Sorry, was just trying to clarify your post since I wasn't sure why you did that. 

I can totally get why we didn't pay both, but 1 or the other should have gotten done, "overpaid" (in your eyes) or not. Whitworth falling off a bit is still 5x the LT Ogbuehi has shown that he is. You pay to protect your quarterback. I would be more understanding if Whit wasn't one of the best pass blockers in the NFL last year. There's no chance he goes from the best to one of the worst. Wouldn't make much sense for that to happen.

Bengals homers will always say our guys are overpaid by another team as a justification for a shitty management move. Sanu was overpaid, Whit is worth every penny. 

We just differ on opinion there.  3 year contract for a 35 year old LT, regardless of who it is for $36 million is a lot.  Not really knowing what we

have with Dennard and Jackson, let alone Adam Jones' dumbass, we had to lock up Dre K.  

12 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

We just differ on opinion there.  3 year contract for a 35 year old LT, regardless of who it is for $36 million is a lot.  Not really knowing what we

have with Dennard and Jackson, let alone Adam Jones' dumbass, we had to lock up Dre K.  

You can't really just call it a 3 year 36 million contract and not care about the details though. At least you shouldn't. 

He only counts for about $9M of their cap this year, that's a good price for a top tier LT, right? Then they can keep him around for a little over $12M next year and the year after with each of those having very little dead money tied up if his performance slips. 

It's a very team friendly contract for an older, elite LT that I wish we had and not the Rams. 

And we could have easily had Whit and Dre, it doesn't have to be one or the other. We have plenty of cap space. Plenty. 

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

You can't really just call it a 3 year 36 million contract and not care about the details though. At least you shouldn't. 

He only counts for about $9M of their cap this year, that's a good price for a top tier LT, right? Then they can keep him around for a little over $12M next year and the year after with each of those having very little dead money tied up if his performance slips. 

It's a very team friendly contract for an older, elite LT that I wish we had and not the Rams. 

I hear ya.  What happens when you let Dre K. walk though?  Say Jones is suspended the 1st 4 games.  You really want

Dennard and Jackson out there with Shaw?   Look at the passing numbers the past few years.  :/  

34 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I hear ya.  What happens when you let Dre K. walk though?  Say Jones is suspended the 1st 4 games.  You really want

Dennard and Jackson out there with Shaw?   Look at the passing numbers the past few years.  :/  

If you have to worry about not signing Dre because Jones might be suspended, that's an easy fargin' problem to solve my friend. You cut Jones because he's a dumbass you have worry about getting a suspension.

"Look at the passing numbers"? Kinda making my argument for cutting Jones for me....

Archived