If you could ONLY keep 1 of the 3 ???

Hypothetically: If you could ONLY keep one, which would you have preferred?   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Hypothetically: If you could ONLY keep one, which would you have preferred?

• Whitworth, 3 yr 36 mill (12 per)
    • Zeitler, 5 yr 60 mill (12 per)
    • Kirkpatrick, 5 yr 50 mill (10 per)

1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If you have to worry about not signing Dre because Jones might be suspended, that's an easy fargin' problem to solve my friend. You cut Jones because he's a dumbass you have worry about getting a suspension.

"Look at the passing numbers"? Kinda making my argument for cutting Jones for me....

I'm all for cutting Jones, Maualuga too!  That's $9.45 million we could use elsewhere.  

2 hours ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

I hear ya.  What happens when you let Dre K. walk though?  Say Jones is suspended the 1st 4 games.  You really want

Dennard and Jackson out there with Shaw?   Look at the passing numbers the past few years.  :/  

But giving Whit that contact doesn't mean we'd have to let Dre walk. Even without cutting Jones, we have plenty of cap room to sign draft picks, give Whit and Dre the deals they each have right now, plus have some to spare to fill the roster with rotational guys and backups. Hell, we could probably fit another starting caliber UFA in there too, and that's not even considering to cut Maualuga or Jones yet. We have more cap room than Hobson wants you to believe. 

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

2017 is a guaranteed failure because we didn't keep one player? 

I disagree with the entire premise of your question.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/20222/bengals-andy-dalton-hidden-problem-pressure-dealing

lost the two best players off a terrible line. 

If they can only keep one, Dre makes the most sense.  Tall, rangy corners are a valuable commodity and he plays a premier position.  That said, Whit also plays a very important position and has a proven record of playing at a high level.  His age is scary obviously.  You have to factor in playing in your prime and that makes Dre the clear pick.  Zeitler is in his prime but guard is not as valuable a position as LT or CB.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

If they can only keep one, Dre makes the most sense.  Tall, rangy corners are a valuable commodity and he plays a premier position.  That said, Whit also plays a very important position and has a proven record of playing at a high level.  His age is scary obviously.  You have to factor in playing in your prime and that makes Dre the clear pick.  Zeitler is in his prime but guard is not as valuable a position as LT or CB.

Come on, Bro, that's too sensible.  You need to be screaming and shrieking and running around in a straitjacket.

57 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Come on, Bro, that's too sensible.  You need to be screaming and shrieking and running around in a straitjacket.

I don't understand why the "Bengals can do no wrong" crowd is running around being condescending dicks about this in every thread. 

Listen, yeah,  Dre is in his prime and has improved into a great CB. I get all of this and I wanted him back very badly.

However, it didn't have to be just bringing one of them back! We could have had 2 of them VERY easily. People have every right to be bothered by this. I knew Z was long gone so it didn't bug me so much, but Whit should be in stripes right now no matter what the Hobson brigade posts from now until the end of time. 

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't understand why the "Bengals can do no wrong" crowd is running around being condescending dicks about this in every thread. 

Listen, yeah,  Dre is in his prime and has improved into a great CB. I get all of this and I wanted him back very badly.

However, it didn't have to be just bringing one of them back! We could have had 2 of them VERY easily. People have every right to be bothered by this. I knew Z was long gone so it didn't bug me so much, but Whit should be in stripes right now no matter what the Hobson brigade posts from now until the end of time. 

Well, to the best of my knowledge, the "Bengals can do no right" crowd have constantly complained about the Bengals not letting players they drafted get on the field, and never replacing veterans with young guys.  Now that they make a decision that does just that, the same folks want to bitch about them letting the veteran go.  Personally, I have said that I didn't think he would be as good as Whit was right away, and maybe never, but you can insure that it's never if you NEVER GIVE HIM A CHANCE.  But, I will tell you this, the Odds are he is going to be moving upwards and getting better, and the Odds are Whitworth is going to be going downwards and getting worse.

38 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Well, to the best of my knowledge, the "Bengals can do no right" crowd have constantly complained about the Bengals not letting players they drafted get on the field, and never replacing veterans with young guys.  Now that they make a decision that does just that, the same folks want to bitch about them letting the veteran go.  Personally, I have said that I didn't think he would be as good as Whit was right away, and maybe never, but you can insure that it's never if you NEVER GIVE HIM A CHANCE.  But, I will tell you this, the Odds are he is going to be moving upwards and getting better, and the Odds are Whitworth is going to be going downwards and getting worse.

That was people wanted Shitty veterans to get out of the way of higher upside rookies.

not dumping veterans that were top performers at their position for literally the worst at their position.

We led Ced on the field last season, he sucked.

If they knew the LT class in this draft wasnt good and they were not wanting to keep Whit long term we could have tagged him for a rent a year and get a LT in the next draft

Which we may be picking high to do that next year anyway

Because again....Ced sucks

Sent from my SM-G920P using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

5 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Ced has played 8 damn games on the left side in college.  That's it.   Why do we keep acting like the left side is his natural spot. 

How many did he play on the right?

On 3/11/2017 at 0:17 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

This is reasonable but I'd say they should have kept the one that's hardest to replace. We have several good CBs. We only had 1 good LT last year and lots of other teams are looking for one too. If Ogbuehi had shone last year and seemed like a stud, it would be fine to let Whitworth go. But if letting Whitworth go means the whole offense has to be changed and certain things are generally no longer possible, then that's too high a price to pay simply to avoid admitting a first round pick is a bust so far. 

Archived