Stephen A Smith calls loyal Bengals suckers...Is he right?

“It says that they (the Bengals) don’t care about the citizens of Cincinnati, that they mean absolutely nothing to them, that the citizens of Cincinnati are absolute suckers, because they’re going to continue to patronize and support our product, no matter what level of ineptitude we continuously support, and more importantly, we can prove that because we don’t care about winning, and they (the citizens) don’t seem to mind.”

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/27/14754870/stephen-a-smith-rips-bengals-marvin-lewis-fans-suckers

This is old but based on the recent events in FA I think it's timely. Everyone thought Whitworth was coming back to the Bengals to finish his career and protect Andy's blindside, but ownership didn't want to pay him his market value so now Ced is given, not earned, another opportunity after he failed miserably last year.

Also when you consider how they have yet to cut Pacman and team President Duke Tobin saying "they don't have enough information to make a decision" even though there is a video of him wishing death upon a police officer and police reports of him spitting on nurse that was just doing her job. 

“We’re not going to make any rash, harsh, fast decisions about the future of our football team without all the information,” Tobin said. “We don’t have an update on that. His status on our team is like a lot of players’ status on our team. He’s got to earn his way like everyone else does. Where this goes, I cannot predict it, but we are certainly not going to make a decision on him without more information.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/01/bengals-very-disappointed-but-not-making-rash-decisions-on-adam-jones/

Smith may be harsh, but he's not too far off in how it seems the ownership and FO views the loyal fans of this football team. Keeping Lewis and Jones in their current roles despite the ineptitude on the field and off clearly indicates a stubborn attitude of ownership that they are going to do what they want regardless of the negative outcomes. In my opinion, Adam "Pacman" Jones is an embarrassment to the Bengals and the city of Cincinnati and Marvin Lewis is the worst postseason HC in the history of the NFL, but both guys are currently associated with the team. The logic behind it, I'm not quite sure. 

He's absolutely right.

it took fans forcing MBs hand with their wallets the last time/s any big changes were made, and it apparently going to take that again.

until then, Bengals fans are just enablers of this bullshit going on 26 years without a single playoff win, and making almost no noticeable chances to operating procedure since the hiring of Marvin 15 years ago.

You got to hit Mikey boy in his wallett.  He found a way to make money without putting out a quality product.   Why on earth would he alter it if he didn't have to? The same exact problem is happening with The Redskins right now; a horrible owner is singlehandedly wrecking the team and there's no one in the organization who can put him in place because he signs everyone's cheque.  Skins fans did the same thing and Snyder, for a while, gave the appearance of conceding power because fans stopped attending games and it hit his bank account.

Ironically both run the teams in the exact opposite way:  Brown isn't willing to shell out money, relying solely on the draft to build the team and sticks with a coach way to long.  And never seems to question him on anything.  

Snyder is willing to spend to the salary caps limit, and would gladly exceed it. Ignores the draft after the first round.  And he will fire a coach in a heartbeat for the next shiny toy that catches his eye(sacking Marty Schottenheimer to hire Steve Spurrier).  And he interferes with the coach, by berating him in public; telling him which player(s) to start(Norv Turner and Jim Zorn) and undermines him by siding with said players(see Clinton Portis, Bruce Smith, and RG3).  

Stephen  A. Smith may be a loud mouth wanker but he's right on this.  That being said even a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

While some people are going to the illogical points of consecutive playoff appearances alone meaning more success, Stephen A Smith is still wrong in this. 

There aren't 28 teams worse than us to pick on, but there are certainly enough examples that he could have left Cincinnati out of it. We were a top 12 team for 5 or so years running until hitting a speed bump last year, which isn't too shabby.

I don't think the theory of the Bengals not trying is accurate, I just don't think they've figured out the best ways to make a deep playoff run. They need to be less afraid of outside talent and hold coaches more accountable. That's not saying to blow up the staff every other year and to sign free agents like the 2011 Eagles, but I'm sure some people will take it that way and run with it. 

Yes he is, but sometimes it seems to me that he's being unnecessarily articulate to throw around big words for their own sake. And he was right about one thing: Marvin should have been fired after the San Diego playoff loss. I still believe that.

6 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Yes he is, but sometimes it seems to me that he's being unnecessarily articulate to throw around big words for their own sake. And he was right about one thing: Marvin should have been fired after the San Diego playoff loss. I still believe that.

The word your looking for is, Lexiphanicism:  The use of pretentious words or language. The student's lexiphanicismis an obvious attempt to appear smart but really only serves to make him look pompous.

Ironically, the very word lexiphanicism is an example in it of itself LOL.

No more or less than fans of any other NFL franchise that may have convinced themselves that their team's success or failure has anything to do with them.

Definitely less so than some loud-mouthed putz that never played the game piling on the Bengals because grasping at low-hanging fruit is so much easier than having an original thought.

I will say the team had a better attitude when the media only noticed them when they needed to troll someone for page views.

Archived