Stephen A Smith calls loyal Bengals suckers...Is he right?

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

11 years...lol..Now it's 14 years.

Oh, he's got more recent ones out there addressing the 14 year drought.

2 hours ago, Jeb said:

There isn't one thing this guy says that isn't tainted by the yellow of the terrible towel, ...it's all about what is best for the Stealers.

In what way, Jeb? All I heard was "my man Mike Tomlin", which I took as a measure of respect for an African American coach that's won a super bowl. There's nothing subjective about pointing out having one job to do in 14 years and failing to do it, or that had it been anywhere else, even Cleveland, for God's sakes, he wouldn't still have his job. 

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Oh, he's got more recent ones out there addressing the 14 year drought.

I've seen them, he doesn't give Marvin much slack. What is a shame is that he cares more about this than the local media that don't say a thing because they don't want to rock the boat. Marvin is lucky he's a in small market city with 2-3 degrees of separation. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, BENgal Solo said:

Well this explains a lot.  According to this article fan loyalty promotes apathy from team owners.  The teams that have the most success are ones with fickle fan bases?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/the-curse-of-the-loyal-sports-fan/485594/?utm_source=atlfb

Sure.  Makes sense.  Pittsburgh and New England must have the most apathetic owners ever.  

<sarcasm alert>

Before The Belichick & Brady years The Patriots were on par with all the other mediocre to bad teams in the NFL. There success is very recent in relation to the overall existence and history of the franchise.

And as for The Stealers? There's always an exception to any rule.  Very few things are 100% guaranteed to apply to all situations.   Sarcasm blasted. :)

On 3/13/2017 at 2:45 PM, PatternMaster said:

Also when you consider how they have yet to cut Pacman and team President Duke Tobin saying "they don't have enough information to make a decision" even though there is a video of him wishing death upon a police officer and police reports of him spitting on nurse that was just doing her job.

Well it looks like Tobin was correct. The police were lying about Adam spitting on a nurse, and Adam was not guilty of the charges that got him arrested.

Adam did not assault anyone.  It would have been a horrible shame for him to get punished for somethiung he didn't do just because someone was in too big of a hurry to find out the truth.

On 3/14/2017 at 0:44 PM, kennethmw said:

Anybody that listens to Stephen A is a sucker.  He's the black Rushbo of sports.

This.

I am not one of those people who claim everything on ESPN is trash, but I literally can not watch Stephen A. Smith.  When he was on First Take with Bayless the show seemed like a SNL parody of real sports talk shows.

4 hours ago, BENgal Solo said:

Well this explains a lot.  According to this article fan loyalty promotes apathy from team owners.  The teams that have the most success are ones with fickle fan bases?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/the-curse-of-the-loyal-sports-fan/485594/?utm_source=atlfb

I don't see any scientific study at all that shows a correlation between a drop in attendance and an increase in team success.  IN fact what I see is that many of the worst teams draw the smallest crowds.  Jacksonville has the worst attendance record in the NFL and I have yet to see the team suddenly decide to win to draw more fans.

All I see is a story about the Cubs and if this guys theory really was true then the Cubs would not have won the world series last year.

2 hours ago, BENgal Solo said:

Before The Belichick & Brady years The Patriots were on par with all the other mediocre to bad teams in the NFL. There success is very recent in relation to the overall existence and history of the franchise.

And as for The Stealers? There's always an exception to any rule.  Very few things are 100% guaranteed to apply to all situations.   Sarcasm blasted. :)

The bolded is true but damn man, what an unprecedented run of success since then. I'd almost kill for the Bengals to have a run like that, if for nothing else to make the national media shut the fuck up, along with obnoxious Stealer fans...

16 hours ago, BENgal Solo said:

Really?  OK.  How about the Cowboys?  Redskins?  Rabid fan bases with very active owners.  You may not like what they do, but they are not apathetic.  What example of a loyal fanbase that has an apathetic owner in the NFL?  Only one I can think of is the Browns.  

21 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You may not like what they do, but they are not apathetic. 

1.  The Bengals are not apathetic.

2.  I cheer for results not participation.  And I honestly believe that the exact same people who claim they care more about "trying" than "results" would not really be happy if the Bengals started spending $100 million every year in free agency but never made the playoffs.

Just now, fredtoast said:

How are the Browns "apathetic".  They have been changing coaches almost every year for a decade.

Fair enough.  Goes to my point.  I can't think of a NFL team with a loyal fanbase and an apathetic owner.

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Fair enough.  Goes to my point.  I can't think of a NFL team with a loyal fanbase and an apathetic owner.

Has nothing to do with fan bases.  I can not think of an apathetic owner at all.  They all try to win.  NFL owners are mostly successful businessmen with huge egos who want to win very badly.  Mike wants to win because it is his family legacy.

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Has nothing to do with fan bases.  I can not think of an apathetic owner at all.  They all try to win.  NFL owners are mostly successful businessmen with huge egos who want to win very badly.  Mike wants to win because it is his family legacy.

Do you even read people's posts or do you just imagine them to say what you want them to say?  I was disagreeing with Solo.  Solo had referenced an article about fan bases.  

I think we actually agree, but I guess that's not in your nature.

35 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Do you even read people's posts or do you just imagine them to say what you want them to say?

I am sorry.  I could have sworn you were having a discussion about apathetic owners, and I felt it was okay for me to make a comment about apathetic owners.

On 5/26/2017 at 9:30 AM, fredtoast said:

1.  The Bengals are not apathetic.

2.  I cheer for results not participation.  And I honestly believe that the exact same people who claim they care more about "trying" than "results" would not really be happy if the Bengals started spending $100 million every year in free agency but never made the playoffs.

So the issue with this post is you automatically assume that if the Bengals DID spend a lot of money in FA they wouldn't even make the playoffs.  

Kind of a ridiculous assumption.  I think many here believe if we had had one more run stopping d lineman or linebacker on the team when we played Houston and San Diego, we would have won a game or 3. Instead those marginal teams ran right over us.

The real issue with the team is it values shiny pretty objects over the foundational core of all great teams aka the line on both sides.  It gets you regular season wins but can't help you beat fundamentally constructed and coached teams.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

So the issue with this post is you automatically assume that if the Bengals DID spend a lot of money in FA they wouldn't even make the playoffs.  

Kind of a ridiculous assumption.  I think many here believe if we had had one more run stopping d lineman or linebacker on the team when we played Houston and San Diego, we would have won a game or 3. Instead those marginal teams ran right over us.

The real issue with the team is it values shiny pretty objects over the foundational core of all great teams aka the line on both sides.  It gets you regular season wins but can't help you beat fundamentally constructed and coached teams.

I think we're invested heavily in the DL if I'm not mistaken?  Totally agree about the OL seeming like an afterthought, but I'm not sure if it's that or the influence of Assistant HC Paul Alexander.  Probably a bit of both.

As far as having one more FA to get over the postseason hump:  Sure, but every roster is going to have holes somewhere, particularly that late in the season. The one consistent theme in the losses IMO has been the lack of focus.  Dropped balls, brain-fart penalties, random-ass play calls, poor decisions with the football & just a general absence of poise or leadership or whatever you want to call it. Unfortunately that's not something you can easily hire or fire your way out of with any sort of reliability. Much as I'd like to see a coaching change, I am skeptical of anyone's ability to correct that on their own.  More to the point, I'm not sure the new coach or coaches would be given the freedom to make the necessary changes.  I know I keep bringing up the Chris Henry thing with Marvin vs MB, but in hindsight I think that set a tone that Marvin couldn't be expected to work around or overcome.

18 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The one consistent theme in the losses IMO has been the lack of focus.  Dropped balls, brain-fart penalties, random-ass play calls, poor decisions with the football & just a general absence of poise or leadership or whatever you want to call it. 

This.

This goes to a lack of being prepared.  Lewis has been there many times and his team has been generally ill-prepared for the situation.  In a couple of games where they were competitive they imploded when faced with adversity.  All goes back to the HC.  This is main reason Lewis should be replaced.  

On May 26, 2017 at 7:04 AM, UncleEarl said:

Really?  OK.  How about the Cowboys?  Redskins?  Rabid fan bases with very active owners.  You may not like what they do, but they are not apathetic.  What example of a loyal fanbase that has an apathetic owner in the NFL?  Only one I can think of is the Browns.  

Their owner is apoplectic...bordering on psychotic. And "loyal fan base"? Have you happened to see the ocean of seats-imitating-people in their building over the recent years? 

23 hours ago, SF2 said:

Uh no.  I never made that assumption at all.

But I know enough about the NFL to know that spending more money ion free agency does not guarantee anything.

Archived