** going to break shit soon **

there is a very high chance i will be moving this to a cloud server in the offseason, my wifes company site is the guinea pig, storing media on amazon S3 will be the key.. currently we use, 300gb of storage on the server, her site is using 200 of that, and 30-40 can be eliminated or also moved to AWS S3 storage. the cost to store her stuff will be $2-6/mo, and would allow us to move to a potentially faster, managed(as in i dont need to (have elflocko) maintain the server, and should run no more than $100/mo hopefully more along $79, we are currently in the $150-180/mo range just for the server. 

as i attempt to pay back all my savings i blew while jobless cutting costs is helpful. especially since adsense is kicking me about $35/mo in the offseason, so my wife loves the $150+ bill each month(like its my fault, even though its used mostly by her), haha.

so long story short, ill obviously have professionals handle the move, but the DNS change may cause issues as it does for some each time we move.

creeping up on year 13, hopefully we can enjoy the good, bicker and be mean to each other about the bad for many more years!

ill post more when times comes, i will do my best to avoid the draft and busy times obviously. if we can get the costs low enough, a single "if anyone wants to chip in" begging per year could allow us to eliminate ads all together.. which would be AWESOME!

Off topic, but what are your guys who are in the know opinions on AWS vs Google Cloud vs MS Azure? And do any of you know which would be the most economical for a developer that might want to have a small database and place to run some code against it for a portfolio to show off his work? Nothing big or super expensive, just a MySql database (or others not married to that) and place to run code that connects to it.

I have AWS training by way of my job but I'm not married to AWS either. I tried to create a DB in it and found I didn't want to pay 50+ bucks a month to have a playground for the very small work I would be doing.

I personally don't care for putting my production stuff with the 'cloud' providers, mainly because I work in medical, and also because I don't like the idea of someone forgetting to update an SSL certificate (Azure) or making a typo in a python script (AWS) and all my shit disappearing. And I know that's where the future lies, which is also why I'm looking to get out of IT (and you can get off my lawn while you're at it). 

That said:

Here is a discussion/comparison about Azure vs AWS.

And another comparison by Mircrosoft

And here's a cost analysis between Azure, AWS, and Google which you might find helpful.

Seeing as you're a M$ whore, you might want to lean towards Azure for ease of use and overall manageability....  

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Off topic, but what are your guys who are in the know opinions on AWS vs Google Cloud vs MS Azure? And do any of you know which would be the most economical for a developer that might want to have a small database and place to run some code against it for a portfolio to show off his work? Nothing big or super expensive, just a MySql database (or others not married to that) and place to run code that connects to it.

I have AWS training by way of my job but I'm not married to AWS either. I tried to create a DB in it and found I didn't want to pay 50+ bucks a month to have a playground for the very small work I would be doing.

I've used all three...

AWS has some nice features - Most notably the pre-built machine images. Their docs are very good, and you're up and running in no time.

Google cloud - I didn't like. Too many restrictions. (Especially for us PHP devs) Too much expecting you to figure out the "Google" way. 

Azure - This is where I currently host. Not as easy to get set up as AWS, but very flexible. They have a ton of very powerful tools.

As far as economics - Azure has a free trial, and many more services that are free beyond the trial date. Amazon will let you fire up a free Micro instance for one year. I would recommend that you register with Microsoft BizSpark and get their free Azure credits.

My business is Ubuntu in Azure.

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I've used all three...

AWS has some nice features - Most notably the pre-built machine images. Their docs are very good, and you're up and running in no time.

Google cloud - I didn't like. Too many restrictions. (Especially for us PHP devs) Too much expecting you to figure out the "Google" way. 

Azure - This is where I currently host. Not as easy to get set up as AWS, but very flexible. They have a ton of very powerful tools.

As far as economics - Azure has a free trial, and many more services that are free beyond the trial date. Amazon will let you fire up a free Micro instance for one year. I would recommend that you register with Microsoft BizSpark and get their free Azure credits.

My business is Ubuntu in Azure.

Good stuff... 

Thanks, I'll take a look at that then.

Mostly just looking for a place I can do simple CRUD against a DB to show off web apps (Currently Rails and Angular, Bootstrap and JQuery but I also have some Java and C# background, and I'd like to dip my feet into the Node.JS pool.)  I create because I cant show off the classified work I do currently and if I ever want to move out of DC it's a good idea to be able to show people the kind of work I do.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Thanks, I'll take a look at that then.

Mostly just looking for a place I can do simple CRUD against a DB to show off web apps (Currently Rails and Angular, Bootstrap and JQuery but I also have some Java and C# background, and I'd like to dip my feet into the Node.JS pool.)  I create because I cant show off the classified work I do currently and if I ever want to move out of DC it's a good idea to be able to show people the kind of work I do.

You might just want to look at some cheap hosting then. 

https://eboundhost.com/better-classic-hosting.html

For $4 a month, it's hard to beat.

The only reason I'd advise Azure or AWS over that would be if you want to do VPS.

1 minute ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The only reason I'd advise Azure or AWS over that would be if you want to do VPS.

That's a thought as well. One caveat is hammering the database on a shared server, and if your code goes awry and starts molesting the database, you can run afoul of the host.... 

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

ironically this is where i would likely move the site to... i AM having second thoughts, as i was deciding between them and siteground, i went to sign up at ebound host, and filled in the contact info said a rep would contact me as it was a dedicated package for my work, and never heard a word, checked spam, no calls, no email, nothing. so if thats how someone trying to start giving them $100+ a month is treated i cant imagine having an issue... so i went with siteground.. who is currently on hour 22 of transferring a single site thats 1.5gb uncompressed. so they did have the account up immediately, so if i were a little ballsier i could ahve had this done myself..

in the end if i can get by on a jaguarpc VPS ill probably go there, 3+ years and support has been absolutely fantastic, 24 hrs a day very fast responses, real solutions, and often fixing things that have nothing to do with them(like me breaking stuff)..

ill post more when times comes, i will do my best to avoid the draft and busy times obviously. if we can get the costs low enough, a single "if anyone wants to chip in" begging per year could allow us to eliminate ads all together.. which would be AWESOME

Totally awesome.

Which reminds me, does the site still get credit for click-through orders @ Amazon or others?

16 hours ago, GoBengals said:

ironically this is where i would likely move the site to... i AM having second thoughts, as i was deciding between them and siteground, i went to sign up at ebound host, and filled in the contact info said a rep would contact me as it was a dedicated package for my work, and never heard a word, checked spam, no calls, no email, nothing. so if thats how someone trying to start giving them $100+ a month is treated i cant imagine having an issue... so i went with siteground.. who is currently on hour 22 of transferring a single site thats 1.5gb uncompressed. so they did have the account up immediately, so if i were a little ballsier i could ahve had this done myself..

Sorry to hear that. I've been hosting with them for at least a decade and no complaints. 

3 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Sorry to hear that. I've been hosting with them for at least a decade and no complaints. 

thats reassuring at least, probably give them a shot, the value is there for sure..

siteground finally got me running, did a side by side page load vs a2hosting, easily 6x faster page loads.. very happy with them so far.

Archived