Andre Smith Back

On 3/15/2017 at 3:11 PM, omgdrdoom said:

Whoa there. Let me preface what I'm about to say with the fact that I'm a fan of bringing big Andre back.

However, not much of a drop off from one of your better RGs in the league? Some people put Zeitler up there with David DeCastro, and while I find him to be under David, Big Z isn't THAT far away from being one of your best RGs in the NFL. Andre Smith has never started an NFL game at guard and is coming off a not so great year at his natural position.

I'd love to hear the rationale of you not seeing much of a drop off.

What do Guards do? Is Andre going to be a second level terror? Nope. Can he handle the guy in front of him for the most part? Yes. Can you pull him for a left end sweep? No. Did Zeitler ever do that? Nope.

I remember watching the Bengals-Vikes game last year. Ced was having a horrid game. Then our defense took the field and I thought "Jeez, their RT is even worse." I had forgotten that Smith was a Viking.

My concern with Smith at guard is his long arms and height. He's going to have trouble hand-fighting in a smaller area, and he's going to have trouble getting low. He's also had trouble staying healthy.

My fervent hope is that Smith is just an insurance policy if Ced or Fish struggle. It's keeps him fresh on the bench, and hopefully Johnson or Westerman is a better RG than Andre playing out of position.

25 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

What do Guards do? Is Andre going to be a second level terror? Nope. Can he handle the guy in front of him for the most part? Yes. Can you pull him for a left end sweep? No. Did Zeitler ever do that? Nope.

I remember watching the Bengals-Vikes game last year. Ced was having a horrid game. Then our defense took the field and I thought "Jeez, their RT is even worse." I had forgotten that Smith was a Viking.

My concern with Smith at guard is his long arms and height. He's going to have trouble hand-fighting in a smaller area, and he's going to have trouble getting low. He's also had trouble staying healthy.

My fervent hope is that Smith is just an insurance policy if Ced or Fish struggle. It's keeps him fresh on the bench, and hopefully Johnson or Westerman is a better RG than Andre playing out of position.

He's had 2 freak Tri-ceps tears and both were vs the texans. So i figure if we just bench him vs the texans we'll be ok.

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I put my 2 biggest issues in bold, the first being a big reason I was confused initially about to supposed move to RG.

As far as the second part goes, I think you're going to be very disappointed if you don't want Andre to be a starter. When is the last time the Bengals gave a guy $4.5M to come in and sit on the bench? Andre had a couple of good years in Cincinnati so I'm hoping he reverts back to that version of himself (or at least close to it) for a year rental while PA and Marv get things straightened out on the line.

Archived