I think I want Ramczyk over Bolles in the draft

Ramczyk seems to be the better run blocker as in the Whitworth mold.  He also seems to be a very good pass blocker as well.

Also, I worry more about Bolles and his weight and I just haven't seen good run blocking on his video.

Agree on Ramczyk over Bolles, but I think both are in no-man's land for the Bengals. Major reach at 9, but probably go off the board before 41.

The guy to keep an eye on is probably Taylor Moton. Duke Tobin and Paul Alexander spent a ton of time with him at his pro day today and he's one of the OL most likely to be on the board at 41 with a solid 2nd round grade. 

Here's Moton's NFL.com scouting report:

OVERVIEW

The Broncos brought aboard Moton after he was named a first-team all-Michigan pick as a high school senior. He redshirted in 2012, but started every game over the past four years for WMU. Moton lined up at right tackle for all 25 games of the 2013 and 2014 seasons. He moved to right guard in 2015, receiving enough votes from MAC coaches to be named third-team all-conference. Moton moved back to the right tackle spot as a senior, earning first-team All-MAC and multiple All-American honors in helping the Broncos "row the boat" to a MAC championship.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Big off the bus. Massive frame with good arm thickness and proportional build in his legs. Plus arm length with big hands. Starting experience at right guard and tackle. Comes off the ball with pad level. Makes concerted effort to drop hips and roll under his target at contact. Has dominant drive-blocking potential. His down blocks turn into steam-rollings. Coordinates hips and hands for maximum pop through point of contact as run blocker. Held his own against Ohio State in 2015 and smothered Illinois DE Dawuane Smoot this season. A bear with strong paws. Plays tend to end for defender once he latches on. Functional climbing to second-level target. Bull rushers won’t bully him very often.

WEAKNESSES

Will need to play with quicker hands into punch as guard. Looping, wide approach with hands toward target could open his chest to defenders. Footwork needs plenty of work. Needs choppier feet. Waist bending in run game needs correction. Content to make blocks at angles that need to be squared up. Lateral and move blocks feature inconsistent base width. Issues coming to balance before contact if block isn't right in front of him. Average body control and athleticism. Will be limited to primarily power-based schemes. Has issues with oversetting in pass pro. Can be fooled by twists. 

SOURCES TELL US

"I had to go back and watch his 2015 tape when he played guard. He was a little rough at tackle this year but that isn't his spot. Big and strong as a guard. He was moving guys from Ohio State around like it was nothing." -- Area scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Zach Fulton

BOTTOM LINE

Four-year starter for ascending Western Michigan program. Size and potential to dominate at the point of attack with pure power should make him a coveted right guard prospect. He can be a little stiff in his movements and his footwork needs plenty of work, but he's functional in both areas. Might need additional work before he is ready to take on the wily, athletic defensive tackles in the NFL, but his physical traits and power give him a chance to become a reliable NFL starter.

5 minutes ago, CoachMinich said:

Unless they trade down I wouldn't take either
I'd like pocic in the 2nd

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not thrilled about any of the centers in this draft, ...I've seen their video, ...yuck.

3 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Agree on Ramczyk over Bolles, but I think both are in no-man's land for the Bengals. Major reach at 9, but probably go off the board before 41.

The guy to keep an eye on is probably Taylor Moton. Duke Tobin and Paul Alexander spent a ton of time with him at his pro day today and he's one of the OL most likely to be on the board at 41 with a solid 2nd round grade. 

Here's Moton's NFL.com scouting report:

OVERVIEW

The Broncos brought aboard Moton after he was named a first-team all-Michigan pick as a high school senior. He redshirted in 2012, but started every game over the past four years for WMU. Moton lined up at right tackle for all 25 games of the 2013 and 2014 seasons. He moved to right guard in 2015, receiving enough votes from MAC coaches to be named third-team all-conference. Moton moved back to the right tackle spot as a senior, earning first-team All-MAC and multiple All-American honors in helping the Broncos "row the boat" to a MAC championship.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Big off the bus. Massive frame with good arm thickness and proportional build in his legs. Plus arm length with big hands. Starting experience at right guard and tackle. Comes off the ball with pad level. Makes concerted effort to drop hips and roll under his target at contact. Has dominant drive-blocking potential. His down blocks turn into steam-rollings. Coordinates hips and hands for maximum pop through point of contact as run blocker. Held his own against Ohio State in 2015 and smothered Illinois DE Dawuane Smoot this season. A bear with strong paws. Plays tend to end for defender once he latches on. Functional climbing to second-level target. Bull rushers won’t bully him very often.

WEAKNESSES

Will need to play with quicker hands into punch as guard. Looping, wide approach with hands toward target could open his chest to defenders. Footwork needs plenty of work. Needs choppier feet. Waist bending in run game needs correction. Content to make blocks at angles that need to be squared up. Lateral and move blocks feature inconsistent base width. Issues coming to balance before contact if block isn't right in front of him. Average body control and athleticism. Will be limited to primarily power-based schemes. Has issues with oversetting in pass pro. Can be fooled by twists. 

SOURCES TELL US

"I had to go back and watch his 2015 tape when he played guard. He was a little rough at tackle this year but that isn't his spot. Big and strong as a guard. He was moving guys from Ohio State around like it was nothing." -- Area scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Zach Fulton

BOTTOM LINE

Four-year starter for ascending Western Michigan program. Size and potential to dominate at the point of attack with pure power should make him a coveted right guard prospect. He can be a little stiff in his movements and his footwork needs plenty of work, but he's functional in both areas. Might need additional work before he is ready to take on the wily, athletic defensive tackles in the NFL, but his physical traits and power give him a chance to become a reliable NFL starter.

I'm more worried about the left tackle spot and Andy dying this season.

Just now, CoachMinich said:

That's how I feel about tackles
Pocic is only center I'm big on
Some decent gaurds

You know we're going to get killed if we can't find a left tackle, ...right?

There must be someone out there.

I feel like a broken record here, but our best Plan B at LT is Fisher. He's better than any of the draft options. He's spent time over there in the NFL and has the athleticism for it. 

But moving Fisher opens up a hole at RT (which Andre Smith could potentially fill). 

Moving Andre Smith opens up a hole at RG. Which a 2nd or 3rd round rookie could potentially fill...

If we have a couple solid options for RT and RG, then we really only need one of our top 2015 picks to pan out at LT instead of hoping both are up to the task. And IMO Fisher gave a lot more signs of being capable than Ogbuehi did. 

5 minutes ago, happyrid said:

I feel like a broken record here, but our best Plan B at LT is Fisher. He's better than any of the draft options. He's spent time over there in the NFL and has the athleticism for it. 

But moving Fisher opens up a hole at RT (which Andre Smith could potentially fill). 

Moving Andre Smith opens up a hole at RG. Which a 2nd or 3rd round rookie could potentially fill...

If we have a couple solid options for RT and RG, then we really only need one of our top 2015 picks to pan out at LT instead of hoping both are up to the task. And IMO Fisher gave a lot more signs of being capable than Ogbuehi did. 

Which just means Ramczyk could play RT and move Fisher over to left, ...I repeat, ...Ramczyk run blocks very well.

15 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Looks like that unlike most of you, Whit is betting on Ced.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/15/14930952/whitworth-help-ogbuehi-offseason-retire-bengals

There is nothing in that article that says he is betting on Ced, it says he plans on working with him while they are both in LA, it says he is pulling for all his former teammates, it says he told Ced "time to play" but unless I need another cup of coffee he doesn't say anything specific about betting on Ced.

That's how I feel about tackles
Pocic is only center I'm big on
Some decent gaurds

Pocic is the real deal, some good OTs but not worth drafting at 9.
At gaurd I like Dorian Johnson a lot and was impressed with Siragusa at the combine.

Archived