Mike williams pro day

That's a great time for him.  I still don't want him, that speed doesn't seem to translate.  He's always making contested catches (which is good), but never seems to create separation (which is bad).  I've seen a lot of comparisons to Anquan Boldin, but he reminds me more of Mike Williams (USC). 

29 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt

Talked to scout at Clemson pro day, had 2 comments: >> Watson had pretty good day >> Mike Williams didn't run as fast as what most think

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

According to a scout at Clemson today-- Mike Williams ran 4.58 & 4.56

Charles Robinson @CharlesRobinson

#Clemson WR Mike Williams legitimately ran pro day 40 in 4.56-4.59 range. Better than expected. Likely cements him as top WR on most boards.

Jared Smola‏ @SmolaDS 

Mike Williams gets Dez Bryant and Mike Evans comps. But also this: "Thing that worries me, I don’t see him separating from people.”

sorry but if they take Anquan Boldin 2.0 with the #9 overall pick I'm gonna be fucking pissed. 

meanwhile OJ Howard runs a LEGIT 4.50 and 4.51 at 6'6 250.....if you want to draft another weapon to pair with AJ and Eifert, this is the guy who Bengal fans should be focusing on.

That's a great time for him.  I still don't want him, that speed doesn't seem to translate.  He's always making contested catches (which is good), but never seems to create separation (which is bad).  I've seen a lot of comparisons to Anquan Boldin, but he reminds me more of Mike Williams (USC). 

See i see his perfect player comp as keenan allen. A guy who is a top 12 reciever when healthy makes a lot of contested catches and is more of a vody catcher. But as far as williams goes, he gets AMAZING late seperation. In that last step and a half before the ball gets there thats when he gets his speration. Its really sweet to watch.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

He would be a good pick but with our oline I think a WR at #9 is a waste besides with the money they are paying LaFell I doubt they draft a WR in the first 2 days of the draft. 

2 years 9 million. But nothing guarenteed in year 2 thats what struck me. I feel they either go wr early, or they believe core is their number 2. It is interesting theyve met with about 10 players and williams is one of them.

sorry but if they take Anquan Boldin 2.0 with the #9 overall pick I'm gonna be fucking pissed. 
meanwhile OJ Howard runs a LEGIT 4.50 and 4.51 at 6'6 250.....if you want to draft another weapon to pair with AJ and Eifert, this is the guy who Bengal fans should be focusing on.

There have been varying reports but espn and the pro day announcers had it at 4.49 and 4.50. Hand times always differ but most scouts seemed to have it closer to the 4.49 than the 4.56. If we trade down i would be excited with howard, although i prefer butt.

1 hour ago, Jpoore said:

i prefer butt.

Isn't he out of Boston? I heard something about his shoulder.

The first round pick has no obvious target. The Bengals have already stated that they'd like to get 2 pass rushers out of this draft by the end of day 2. If they want to do that and get a quality o-lineman, they are almost going to have to go pass rush at #9. Considering the abundance of talent at that position, I think you have to start looking at guys who fit the Bengals mold.

That said, no one thought they would draft their 3rd first round CB last year, or Tyler Eifert, or a billion other bizarre picks over the years. So the second I think I know who makes the most sense, I'm struck with a reminder that I've never been right before, so I must be wrong this year too.

In the end, it may not matter, as the Bengals like to dry age their rookies before putting them to the fire. AJ Green was the last rookie first round pick to make any impact. They'll draft Jabril Peppers and make him the #3 WLB just to gaslight me.

6 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

He would be a good pick but with our oline I think a WR at #9 is a waste

Could make that argument about any position that's not OL & I don't see them drafting 11 offensive linemen, so...

The OL is going to be what it is regardless of BPA at #9

I like all 3 of the top WRs (Davis, Williams and Ross) and wouldn't mind grabbing one of them at 9, though it's not my first choice.

Gut feeling is that the Bengals will be looking for a WR more in the 3rd/4th round range though. Someone with legit 4.45 speed like Zay Jones, Chris Godwin or Josh Reynolds would be ideal. 

I watched him run on Sportscenter this morning.  It doesn't seem like there was a consensus 40 time.  McShay had him at 4.53 and others had him slightly higher or lower.  No matter how you slice it, he was under 4.60, which means he beat expectations.  He certainly looks the part of a legit number one receiver in terms of height and size.  I don't expect us to take him at #9, but I think he will be a very good NFL receiver.  His ability to make contested catches reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald.  I would much rather have him over someone like Ross, who can fly but probably won't hold up physically.

9 hours ago, spicoli said:

Up until the last week, I've been pretty cool to the idea of drafting Howard - nothing against OJ - he's great, but I've pretty good with Eifert, Kroft & Uzomah.  The thing that's changed my thinking?  Whitt leaving.  I'm afraid we're gonna have to permanently tether a TE to Ogbuehi ass just to keep Dalton alive.  Maybe we need to go with 4 TE's and five WR's just have bodies on hand to help plug the OLine holes.

I watched him run on Sportscenter this morning.  It doesn't seem like there was a consensus 40 time.  McShay had him at 4.53 and others had him slightly higher or lower.  No matter how you slice it, he was under 4.60, which means he beat expectations.  He certainly looks the part of a legit number one receiver in terms of height and size.  I don't expect us to take him at #9, but I think he will be a very good NFL receiver.  His ability to make contested catches reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald.  I would much rather have him over someone like Ross, who can fly but probably won't hold up physically.

Agree. Also ross has had 4 surgeries on his knees already. But what i find interesting is the bengals met with reynolds and williams. 2 big body recievers, not speedsters.

Up until the last week, I've been pretty cool to the idea of drafting Howard - nothing against OJ - he's great, but I've pretty good with Eifert, Kroft & Uzomah.  The thing that's changed my thinking?  Whitt leaving.  I'm afraid we're gonna have to permanently tether a TE to Ogbuehi ass just to keep Dalton alive.  Maybe we need to go with 4 TE's and five WR's just have bodies on hand to help plug the OLine holes.

This is why im such a big fan of butt. Has the ability to mantainn his block on a defensive end for just as long as an ot.

With the state of the Oline as it stands today my vote is for making the defense as nasty as it possibly could be the rest of this offseason.  Mike Williams does not do that.  Draft whoever is going to break faces, specifically Benny Boo and LeVeon "Everyone's Out To Hoyt Me / We'd Win Every Game If I Was Healthy" Bell.

10 hours ago, snarkster said:

4 hours ago, Jpoore said:

This is why im such a big fan of butt. Has the ability to mantainn his block on a defensive end for just as long as an ot.

I've been on the OJ Howard bandwagon too.  If it was a guarantee we could get Butt in the 3rd or 4th round, cool...but there's no guarantee someone won't take  him in the 2nd.  Unless there's a trade ahead of us OJ Howard has a 90+% chance of being there we we're on the board at #9.  The ideal top of the draft would be 

1. Foster/Reddick

2. Lawson/T. Williams

3. Mixon

4. Butt

If that could happen I think we'd be golden.

However, if we drafted Howard in the 1st I'd be ok with that...I guess it depends on how we really feel about Vigil.

12 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

I've been on the OJ Howard bandwagon too.  If it was a guarantee we could get Butt in the 3rd or 4th round, cool...but there's no guarantee someone won't take  him in the 2nd.  Unless there's a trade ahead of us OJ Howard has a 90+% chance of being there we we're on the board at #9.  The ideal top of the draft would be 

1. Foster/Reddick

2. Lawson/T. Williams

3. Mixon

4. Butt

If that could happen I think we'd be golden.

However, if we drafted Howard in the 1st I'd be ok with that...I guess it depends on how we really feel about Vigil.

I think Kevin Minter will have more to do with whether we take Foster at 9 or not. If Minter ends up in Cincinnati over the next few days it's just about a guarantee we don't touch a LB early. Even if the team is high on Vigil I feel like they still take Foster at 9 over most other options if our roster at this very moment is what we roll into the draft with.

4 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I think Kevin Minter will have more to do with whether we take Foster at 9 or not. If Minter ends up in Cincinnati over the next few days it's just about a guarantee we don't touch a LB early. Even if the team is high on Vigil I feel like they still take Foster at 9 over most other options if our roster at this very moment is what we roll into the draft with.

Agree with this. I think they have Vigil slotted in as a part-time player at SLB and in some sub-packages. As of today, here are enough snaps leftover beyond Burfict/Vigil to make LB a major need. Signing Minter or Robinson would gobble most of those up and make LB depth more of a Day 3 need. 

I definitely think Vigil has one of the starting jobs locked up, likely at SLB.

if they sign Minter he'll likely take over the middle pushing Maualuga out the door.

Vinnie Rey remains the top back-up at all 3 spots. 

8 hours ago, Dautcom08 said:

With the state of the Oline as it stands today my vote is for making the defense as nasty as it possibly could be the rest of this offseason.  Mike Williams does not do that.  Draft whoever is going to break faces, specifically Benny Boo and LeVeon "Everyone's Out To Hoyt Me / We'd Win Every Game If I Was Healthy" Bell.

Yeah, I want to see oline and defense dominate most of our selections, with us taking a RB somewhere between 3-5 and a WR in 4-6. I actually envision Cody Core getting an expanded role in the offense next season too. Dude can play.

19 hours ago, snarkster said:

If I was filling out the Bengals draft board (haha) one Tyler Eifert would not factor into my decision at all.  Dude's a huge question mark at this point.

Archived