Mike williams pro day

I've been on the OJ Howard bandwagon too.  If it was a guarantee we could get Butt in the 3rd or 4th round, cool...but there's no guarantee someone won't take  him in the 2nd.  Unless there's a trade ahead of us OJ Howard has a 90+% chance of being there we we're on the board at #9.  The ideal top of the draft would be 
1. Foster/Reddick
2. Lawson/T. Williams
3. Mixon
4. Butt
If that could happen I think we'd be golden.

However, if we drafted Howard in the 1st I'd be ok with that...I guess it depends on how we really feel about Vigil.

Me personally, hoping for a trade down. Mid teens pick up extra second rounder. My dream draft would be around pick 15.
1. Mike williams/corey davis,
2a. Raekwon mcmillan.
2b. Pat elflien.
3. Joe mixon.
4. Jake butt.
But highly doubt howard is in play. Looks like we will draft tight end in first 4 rounds though. Have already gone to pro days to scout bucky hodges and jordan leggett. Butt will fall due to second torn acl... The question is how far?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

I think Kevin Minter will have more to do with whether we take Foster at 9 or not. If Minter ends up in Cincinnati over the next few days it's just about a guarantee we don't touch a LB early. Even if the team is high on Vigil I feel like they still take Foster at 9 over most other options if our roster at this very moment is what we roll into the draft with.

I would love minter. But if that was the case and we were really gonna draft foster, why not release malaluga?

Agree with this. I think they have Vigil slotted in as a part-time player at SLB and in some sub-packages. As of today, here are enough snaps leftover beyond Burfict/Vigil to make LB a major need. Signing Minter or Robinson would gobble most of those up and make LB depth more of a Day 3 need. 

Vigil has been named the full time slb and with burfict as the wlb.

I definitely think Vigil has one of the starting jobs locked up, likely at SLB.
if they sign Minter he'll likely take over the middle pushing Maualuga out the door.
Vinnie Rey remains the top back-up at all 3 spots. 

If we sign mitner for around 4-6 million, we could cut malaluga and pacman and sign poe for around the same dont ya think? And yea slb has already been given to vigil.

And looking at their roster, why not?  I swear they had some decent LB whose name escapes me but IDK where he went.  Being Cleveland they probably traded him for magic beans.

They actually will probably have the best lb tandem in the nfl in 2 years if not next year. They traded for new englands jamie collins mid season whose imo a top 5 lb. They signed him to a 4 year deal worth i think something like 45 million?Then they add garrett next to him? Whoo boy that team could be scary in 2-3 years.

8 hours ago, Jpoore said:

Well my point was if we have alb corp of vigil mitner and burfict with rey as backup, i think they would cut malaluga at least

Yeah they'll probably cut Maualuga if Minter ends up here because $$$ but I could see Maualuga sticking around even if we draft Foster, Riddick, or any other LB for that matter. Maybe not since the price tag at #9 overall could make them want to cut him if we actually have his replacement.

Who knows, the FO doesn't always make the decisions that seem to make sense from the fans perspective.

More Clemson pro day notes … Still trying to get an accurate 40 time for big-time Clemson WR Mike Williams from today’s pro day. As noted earlier, the school announced a time of 4.49 for Williams, who did not run at the combine, while there were press later press reports that had Williams running anywhere from 4.53 to 4.58. For the record, 4.55 was what scouts were expecting from Williams, one of the top 2-3 rated WR prospects in this year’s draft. By way of comparison, three Clemson players ran at both the combine and today’s pro day; in all three cases their times were faster today by 0.05 seconds, 0.08 seconds and a full 1.2 seconds or an average of roughly 0.08 seconds. At the same time, Williams’ time today was the same as that for fellow Clemson WR Artavis Scott who clocked a 4.61 in Indianapolis. So it is probably a safe bet to figure that Williams’ actual time is somewhere in the 4.57-4.60 range. Again, that’s not bad for a receiver who is almost 6-4 and 218 pounds, but it may not be quite top 10-15 type time either. Among other for Clemson players who ran today after not running at the combine, TE Jordan Leggett timed in the high 4.7 range, while rugged MLB Ben Boulware likely ran in the high 4.8 territory. Bottom line is that neither was a particularly good clocking. We also noted in the earlier report that Chicago, which has the 3rd pick overall this year, had a full contingent at the Clemson pro day including G.M. Ryan Pace and head coach John Fox. They were one of four teams that had both their G.M. and head coach there including Detroit and Tennessee, and Pittsburgh, although we should point out that Stealers G.M. Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin go to just about every major pro day, as well as a whole bunch of less major ones. One team that apparently didn’t send any top execs to Clemson was Cleveland, although the Browns do intend to attend a private workout by Watson; the Browns will also reportedly have Watson in on for one of their 30 pre-draft visits.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, Jpoore said:

Vigil has been named the full time slb and with burfict as the wlb.

No he hasn't. Stop saying silly things. No such thing has happened. Minter will actually likely be used as a SAM here. Foster needs to be drafted to replace Maualuga. Burfict, Foster, Minter. Vigil as the back up.

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Vigil as the back up.

lol what do you have against Vigil?

Gu0enther has pretty much said from the beginning that Vigil will be a starter, I guess people just assume that it'll be at SLB since Minter has been a starting mike for the last two seasons....why change that?

a second or third round MLB that projects as a future starter that can sit for a year behind Minter makes much more sense now than taking one at 9, IMO.....that just allows them to focus on pass rushers and playmakers with that first pick.

On 17/03/2017 at 8:43 PM, Bunghole said:

Yeah, I want to see oline and defense dominate most of our selections, with us taking a RB somewhere between 3-5 and a WR in 4-6. I actually envision Cody Core getting an expanded role in the offense next season too. Dude can play.

Agree with this. It's gone largely unnoticed what this kid did in just a few snaps. 

No he hasn't. Stop saying silly things. No such thing has happened. Minter will actually likely be used as a SAM here. Foster needs to be drafted to replace Maualuga. Burfict, Foster, Minter. Vigil as the back up.

Vinny rey is the first backup. Guenther has said he will be a strong side lb starter week 1.

2 hours ago, spicoli said:

lol what do you have against Vigil?

Gu0enther has pretty much said from the beginning that Vigil will be a starter, I guess people just assume that it'll be at SLB since Minter has been a starting mike for the last two seasons....why change that?

a second or third round MLB that projects as a future starter that can sit for a year behind Minter makes much more sense now than taking one at 9, IMO.....that just allows them to focus on pass rushers and playmakers with that first pick.

Uhhh...I don't have anything against Vigil. He's got 21 career tackles. He's still pretty wet behind the ears and I'm not certain the Bengals are going to tie their can to him as a starter just yet. This might be the reason for the one year deal for Minter. Transition to Vigil over the next season.

Yes, Guenther said he will take first team snaps to start training camp. Not sure he's in there in ink as the starter. Minter was a 3-4 ILB in ARI. I think he projects to a 4-3 SAM LB. We will see but I think this is where he's going to play here. I'd take Foster and you have a group consisting of Burfict, Foster, Minter, Rey and Vigil.

Looking at some of these mocks, I could see Williams being the clear-cut BPA when our turn comes.  I wish he played just about any other position but there's something to be said for playing to your strengths.  Anything that helps AJ helps the Bengals.

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Looking at some of these mocks, I could see Williams being the clear-cut BPA when our turn comes.  I wish he played just about any other position but there's something to be said for playing to your strengths.  Anything that helps AJ helps the Bengals.

If Williams and Howard are there, who do you think we have rated higher between those two?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, LostInDaJungle said:

Isn't he out of Boston? I heard something about his shoulder.

The first round pick has no obvious target. The Bengals have already stated that they'd like to get 2 pass rushers out of this draft by the end of day 2. If they want to do that and get a quality o-lineman, they are almost going to have to go pass rush at #9. Considering the abundance of talent at that position, I think you have to start looking at guys who fit the Bengals mold.

That said, no one thought they would draft their 3rd first round CB last year, or Tyler Eifert, or a billion other bizarre picks over the years. So the second I think I know who makes the most sense, I'm struck with a reminder that I've never been right before, so I must be wrong this year too.

In the end, it may not matter, as the Bengals like to dry age their rookies before putting them to the fire. AJ Green was the last rookie first round pick to make any impact. They'll draft Jabril Peppers and make him the #3 WLB just to gaslight me.

He gets smoked a lot too. 

IMG_1451.JPG

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I hear you on that one, last thing we really need right now is another WR.

We can look at it on the bright side though, I'd say we probably have a top 3 receiving corp assuming Williams is as good as advertised and everyone is healthy (sorta big if there though). Green is elite, Eifert is an elite pass catching TE, Gio is a top 10-ish receiving RB, LaFell is a good #2 who would be better than most team's 3rd WR on the depth chart, and Tyler Boyd is a good #3 who would be better than most team's 4th WR. LaFell and Boyd are a good WR2/3 tandem that would turn into great or better if bumped down a spot each.

I think Tyler Boyd is going to be something special, I watched him at PITT a lot and was hoping the Bengals would draft him. I saw him as a WR1b kind of guy if he went to a team that needed a receiver badly enough. I think if he saw the play time and targets he could easily be a 1,000+ yard receiver each year, and the fact that we'd have him as our 4th WR and 5th/6th receiving option (assuming Eifert/Gio are healthy) would just be insane. I'd be as bold to say Tyler Boyd has more talent than any other teams 5th/6th receiving option.

If the OL can keep Andy without constant pressure, that group of receivers would be scary. I might be overrating Boyd's ceiling, but I think everything else is at least close to being accurate.

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I hear you on that one, last thing we really need right now is another WR.

We can look at it on the bright side though, I'd say we probably have a top 3 receiving corp assuming Williams is as good as advertised and everyone is healthy (sorta big if there though). Green is elite, Eifert is an elite pass catching TE, Gio is a top 10-ish receiving RB, LaFell is a good #2 who would be better than most team's 3rd WR on the depth chart, and Tyler Boyd is a good #3 who would be better than most team's 4th WR. LaFell and Boyd are a good WR2/3 tandem that would turn into great or better if bumped down a spot each.

I think Tyler Boyd is going to be something special, I watched him at PITT a lot and was hoping the Bengals would draft him. I saw him as a WR1b kind of guy if he went to a team that needed a receiver badly enough. I think if he saw the play time and targets he could easily be a 1,000+ yard receiver each year, and the fact that we'd have him as our 4th WR and 5th/6th receiving option (assuming Eifert/Gio are healthy) would just be insane. I'd be as bold to say Tyler Boyd has more talent than any other teams 5th/6th receiving option.

If the OL can keep Andy without constant pressure, that group of receivers would be scary. I might be overrating Boyd's ceiling, but I think everything else is at least close to being accurate.

The OL doesn't have to be perfect with AD's release being what it is (2nd only to Brady IIRC) - he's made a pedestrian group look pretty good in the past. I would not be counting on Eifert or Gio at all, though.  Even so, I agree we have plenty of receiving threats without them.

Archived