2. 49ers- Solomon Thomas DE/DT Stanford 
3. Bears- Jonathan Allen DE/DT Alabama 
4. Jaguars- Leonard Fournette RB LSU 
5. Titans- Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio St 
6. Jets- Jamal Adams S LSU 
7. Chargers- Malik Hooker S Ohio St 
8. Panthers- Derek Barnett DE Tennessee

Who do you want?

Foster worries me - think he's going to spend a lot of time either in concussion protocol, suspended (doubly so if he comes here) or both.

That being said I don't have a solid alternative to offer, either.  BPA is fine just please deer lawd not another project or injured guy!

20 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Haason Reddick, he can rush the QB or play any LB position. 

Scouting stuff I've read has him undersized for anything other than WLB in our 4-3 & a poor tackler to boot.  Can't see spending the 9th overall pick on a situational pass-rushing LB.  Even that role is questionable - simply running around people isn't going to work at this level.

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Scouting stuff I've read has him undersized for anything other than WLB in our 4-3 & a poor tackler to boot.  Can't see spending the 9th overall pick on a situational pass-rushing LB.  Even that role is questionable - simply running around people isn't going to work at this level.

He's bigger than Foster. He's a MLB or WLB in a 4-3 who can also occasionally rush the QB. He can also cover.

4 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

He's bigger than Foster. He's a MLB or WLB in a 4-3 who can also occasionally rush the QB. He can also cover.

I'm just going off a couple of scouting reports.. Maybe it's not size so much as strength? Poor technique?

He sounds like one of those that's gotten by on being a more gifted athlete than most people he's faced, though, and those dudes typically struggle.

That might be ok for some late-round flyer but when it's a top-10 pick?  Give me someone that has played a set position that will translate in the pros and has consistently dominated against other high-level talent. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Foster worries me - think he's going to spend a lot of time either in concussion protocol, suspended (doubly so if he comes here) or both.

That being said I don't have a solid alternative to offer, either.  BPA is fine just please deer lawd not another project or injured guy!

Why?  He has 1 incident and all I have heard say it isn't a huge deal.

As for the concussions I heard Mayock say they corrected a tackling form issue and he hasn't had any since.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

As for the concussions I heard Mayock say they corrected a tackling form issue and he hasn't had any since.

Because of the "tackling form issue" ie leading with his head.  That's great if it's corrected but when something becomes a habit like that I have my doubts. One hit that even looks questionable and he's riding pine, particularly if he's in stripes.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

He had a concussion midway through last season (against Arkansas in October). 

Maybe he's had less issues since trying not to make every tackle with his head, but it's not like it stopped being an issue. 

Edit: He supposedly corrected the tackling problem before 2015, so Mayock's flat out wrong about concussions not being an issue anymore since he had one as a senior. 

I'm just going off a couple of scouting reports.. Maybe it's not size so much as strength? Poor technique?
He sounds like one of those that's gotten by on being a more gifted athlete than most people he's faced, though, and those dudes typically struggle.
That might be ok for some late-round flyer but when it's a top-10 pick?  Give me someone that has played a set position that will translate in the pros and has consistently dominated against other high-level talent. 

U just described foster lol. A guy who has gotten by on talent.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

You think? Looks like a solid tackler with good instincts to me, not to mention having played at 'Bama as compared to Temple's level of competition in the AAC.

Thats the point. He played at bama. He relied on that dline to get pressure and then he cleaned things up.he also has at best average read/react time. I dont think foster at 9 is so much better than say raekwon mcnillan at 41. If ur taking a player at 9, he needs to be exponentially better than everyone else at his position. Hes not. Just my opinion. He is a solid tackler. But hes not top 10 worthy.

Just now, Jpoore said:

Thats the point. He played at bama. He relied on that dline to get pressure and then he cleaned things up.he also has at best average read/react time. I dont think foster at 9 is so much better than say raekwon mcnillan at 41. If ur taking a player at 9, he needs to be exponentially better than everyone else at his position. Hes not. Just my opinion. He is a solid tackler. But hes not top 10 worthy.

Fair enough.  I don't watch near enough NCAA ball (like virtually none) to have a strong opinion about any of these guys.  I just know I don't want another freak athlete that needs to be taught how to play a position, at least not in the first 3-4 rounds.

Fair enough.  I don't watch near enough NCAA ball (like virtually none) to have a strong opinion about any of these guys.  I just know I don't want another freak athlete that needs to be taught how to play a position, at least not in the first 3-4 rounds.

Well if u ever want a quick study on a player i highly recommend voch lombardi. 15-30 minute video usually features the good and bad from 4 different games. Fair warning, his voice is annoying, but he really knows what hes talking about. For instance...

As far as projects go, if tanoh kpassagnon is there in the third, hell be a bengal. 6"7 290 4.82 40 yard dash 36 inch arms. Hes not a huge project though ala margus hunt. I would classify him as mj 2.0 right now. Drawback is he played for villinova.

53 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You think? Looks like a solid tackler with good instincts to me, not to mention having played at 'Bama as compared to Temple's level of competition in the AAC.

Foster is a vicious hitter. He likes to make big hits. And he has good form. If you look at his senior year game tape, he is almost textbook.

He's also a guy like Burfict, who will throw his body around. And like Burfict, it could be a long term issue.

But c'mon, playing LB in today's NFL is a concussion factory. And as Newton's 14th law tells us, delivering a big hit means you take a big hit in return. Backs are huge, coming at them with a head of steam and trying to take them low while they wrestle a 300lb. gorilla.

I'm not asking Reuben Foster to go out and cure cancer, I'm asking him to penetrate on an A-gap blitz. I'm asking him to make TE's poopy themselves a little bit when they (might) catch the ball over the middle. I'm asking him to fly to the RB screen and demolish the guy. I want him and Burfict to be a Nickel D you're afraid to catch a short ball on. 3rd and 8 becomes a down where you start hearing footsteps when that 6 yard pass comes your way.

And all of that is going to come with some woozy moments on the sideline, I don't are how good your form is. These guys aren't choosing between being a human crash test dummy for the NFL and a Bio-Tech firm, I've had smarter dogs than some of these guys. 

From an athletic standpoint, he's a true sideline to sideline presence who excels in pass coverage. This dude can flat out move, and he comes with a head of steam. His short area burst one he sniffs out the play is astounding. He can hit the hole like a RB, and is fast enough to cover the best TE's. And was excellent in coverage in college. Combine my ass, this kid looks like he was born in pads and with the gift of flight. His game tape shows him taking a good number of plays "off" when the ball isn't coming to him, but when he's on... This is a dude who will fly over the pile on 4th and 1 to save a TD. Or slice through the A gap to make a big play. Or can blanket a TE. Or keep pace with a RB going out to the flat or a wheel route.

On the mental side... Google some interviews, but I'm thinking Burfict would win a chess game against him. Doesn't strike as a Mensa member. Burfict, at his finest, has a football IQ that is through the roof. Foster's bulb run's at a lower current, but he is still well above average at reading and reacting. He's going to excel in man to man situations, but will get lost in zone coverage sometimes. He doesn't diagnose the plays/routes at an elite level. It's teachable, or at worst, he's not Rey Maualuga bad.

Foster is worthy of top 10 consideration in an age where MLB's aren't considered first rounders. Straight up believe it, this guy is very good.

He had a concussion midway through last season (against Arkansas in October). 
Maybe he's had less issues since trying not to make every tackle with his head, but it's not like it stopped being an issue. 
Edit: He supposedly corrected the tackling problem before 2015, so Mayock's flat out wrong about concussions not being an issue anymore since he had one as a senior. 

Not to mention hes had 3 seperate shoulder injuries...

Archived