If the first 8 picks fall like this....

Trading down sounds great, but with a lack of quality QB prospects it's not very likely.  Trading down requires another team that wants to trade up.  What top-10 pick is going to be there that we can't use, but some other team covets? 

Hea falling further and further.... May be a second rounder at this point.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Teams always reach for a QB

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, CoachMinich said:

After QB and 3 Tech TE is the last position they should draft

There is logic behind drafting a TE. Eifert is going to get paid despite his injury history.  I like Eifert but he hasn't played close to a full season.  Replace him with Howard and suddenly we can use the money it would have taken to re-sign Eifert to make sure we keep Burfict and other free agents.  And hopefully Howard plays more games.

It's not the pick I would make, but I wouldn't hate it. 

There is logic behind drafting a TE. Eifert is going to get paid despite his injury history.  I like Eifert but he hasn't played close to a full season.  Replace him with Howard and suddenly we can use the money it would have taken to re-sign Eifert to make sure we keep Burfict and other free agents.  And hopefully Howard plays more games.

I understand your logic, but to me that's a move you make when you are already a contender
This pick needs to help the Bengals build for the future
I don't think Howard will be as good as Efiert but even if he is, that is a wash that saved you money, but didn't really make you better

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

But the Bengals only have 2 bucks, a Kroger gift card, and free Goldstar coney coupon left to spend in FA for the rest of the decade, how can that happen?

I'm sure they would come up with another excuse for why they can't spend or extend players if they didn't resign Eifert. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Who are the other free agents? Even if your logic was sound here its a deep draft for TE. Just take one later. Taking one early is a terrible idea. 

Here's the thing about Howard, there is a reason he's being talked about as a top 10 pick, the kid is special...6'6 250lb legit deep threats that just happen to be good at every other aspect of the game don't come around too often.

if they take him at 9 it's because they truly see him as the best player available to them, it's just hard to argue with that kind of logic, IMO. 

Howard is a great player. I highly highly doubt we go to a 2 tight end set. If we do, we'd have to re-sign or replace Eifert after the first year in the system. If we don't plan on re-signing Eifert and he stays healthy, Howard sits the bench all year. There's a lot of variables I don't think add up to taking a tight end #9 overall.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I agree that he has been hurt every damn year.. I just think you can't give up on that talent.

36 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

Howard is a great player. I highly highly doubt we go to a 2 tight end set.

but they don't have to play a "2 TE set" if one of the TE's is playing WR....which is pretty much what one of them would be on any given play.

you're over thinking it IMO.

Thanks for the update.
So he has shoulder problems, concussion history, and you don't know how he compares athletically to the prospects available in the draft. Seems like a risky pick for #9 to me. Imo, projecting Foster at #9 is lazy because it's been the pick since the end of the season. Foster doesn't seem all that impressive to me, I've watched his game film and almost every tackle he makes is when he is unblocked or 5 yards down the field, I know he played for Bama but I don't get the hype. 

This would be his 4th different shoulder injury. Agree with everything u said.

We only have 2 free agents next year of note. Use our rollover to extend eifert, then resign burfict next year. Were gonna have a lot of cap room next year with hardly any free agents of note to resign.

2 minutes ago, Jpoore said:

Jake butt in the third? He was a first rounder before the injury.

I dont see them taking a TE at all unless they dont want to resign Eifert, we dont typically give up on our draft picks and I think they like what they have in Kroft and Uzomah. But we saw what happens to our offense when Eifert goes down so I'm not against a great blocking TE who can also be a weapon in the pass game.

I dont see them taking a TE at all unless they dont want to resign Eifert, we dont typically give up on our draft picks and I think they like what they have in Kroft and Uzomah. But we saw what happens to our offense when Eifert goes down so I'm not against a great blocking TE who can also be a weapon in the pass game.

Yeah player comp jason witten? Of course.... Kroft seemed to take a huge step back last year though. Nobody really knows at this point i guess, but if bpa is him in the third hes hard to pass up.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

For those that chose Foster, does the 1 year Minter signing change your minds?

I would still take him if hes the BPA on their board but with so much back and forth going on on these boards about him my mind keeps switching. I'm just hoping by the time we pick theres a no brainer available like Allen, Hooker to name a few or a trade down ideally. I dont know who I want anymore.

6 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

On a one year deal, he's insurance, not a solution. Nice thing about first rounders, you get them for 5 years with cap friendly numbers.

The new rookie wage scale is the best part about the "fixed" CBA from years back.

I still think Foster could be the pick at 9. Foster/Burfict/Minter on the field together in certain packages? Sign me up.

I mentioned in other threads that I don't think the Bengals take a LB early if Minter ends up here, but that was me assuming Minter would be here on a multi-year deal. 1 year deal seems too rental-ish to pass over Foster if he's there at 9. Minter could price himself out of Cincinnati if we have a top defense that he plays a large part in this year.

14 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

On a one year deal, he's insurance, not a solution. Nice thing about first rounders, you get them for 5 years with cap friendly numbers.

nice thing about second rounders, they can sit for a year behind a guy on a one year deal and it'll barely get noticed. 

I'd almost be willing to bet my left nut that they take an offensive playmaker at 9 now.....Howard, Williams, Ross or Cook. 

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

nice thing about second rounders, they can sit for a year behind a guy on a one year deal and it'll barely get noticed. 

I'd almost be willing to bet my left nut that they take an offensive playmaker at 9 now.....Howard, Williams, Ross or Cook. 

That's a safe bet.

No one here wants your left nut.     :D

Look at the Bengals draft history, they are not afraid to let a first rounder sit on the bench either.

That said, and even though I'm not a fan of reaching, I think Ross would have a huge instant impact on our offense and would love to get him.

Archived