Lapham on NFLN discussing the Bengals offseason and outlook for 2017

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000000793552/Lapham-

Collateral damage: Who's hurt by roster reshuffling?

Andy Dalton, quarterback, Cincinnati Bengals: Take the worst Bengals offensive line of the Marvin Lewis era, then subtract its best two players. That's what Dalton will be playing behind following the departures of left tackle Andrew Whitworth and right guard Kevin Zeitler. Usually, Dalton could trust that the Bengals' front office, led by Lewis and director of player personnel Duke Tobin, would have homegrown picks in place to survive any free agency departures. But 2015 selections Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher had mixed results (at best) last season. Dalton was sacked 41 times in 2016, a number that could climb this season.

I like how Lapham admits the FO values a 3rd round comp pick at best over a proven vet that can help your franchise win now, that must really make guys like Dalton and Green feel like the team is doing everything in their power to win now.

Also, is that host a little douche or what, little elf looking dude. He tries to correct Lapham with the draft picks but he's wrong. 

Lapham has been pretty in tune with what the Bengals are going to do in the draft and even called the Dennard and Ogbuehi selections and was correct on the position the years they drafted Eifert, WJIII and Zeitler. He says pass rusher then WR. I have to figure he's got a pretty good idea.

34 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

He says pass rusher then WR. I have to figure he's got a pretty good idea.

if only we knew which pass rusher :39:

and yeah, no one outside of the organization is more in the know than Dave Lapham. 

I'd be willing to bet that the WR they're eyeballing at 41 is Zay Jones......Chad Johnson 2.0 without the mouth.

45 minutes ago, spicoli said:

if only we knew which pass rusher :39:

and yeah, no one outside of the organization is more in the know than Dave Lapham. 

I'd be willing to bet that the WR they're eyeballing at 41 is Zay Jones......Chad Johnson 2.0 without the mouth.

Won't be one worth 9 still on the board.

Oh, and the way Lap said it is if they don't have a pass rusher worth 9 on their board they would take a receiver at 9.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Won't be one worth 9 still on the board.

oh I completely agree with that.

Oh, and the way Lap said it is if they don't have a pass rusher worth 9 on their board they would take a receiver at 9.

that's fine as long as the WR is really a TE and his name is OJ Howard.

still like Zay Jones at 41 though if we don't get one in the first. 

I wouldn't be upset with Howard, but Ross is the guy I want.  He's the one top "receiver" that brings something we don't have.  I don't see Davis or Williams bringing anything Green doesn't have.  Ross would be unique on our team.  And rare in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

He's the one top "receiver" that brings something we don't have. 

I hear ya.....his injury history scares the hell out of me but if he checks out I wouldn't be all that upset with it. 

The scary thing with Ross is his injury history.  Torn meniscus and microfracture surgery on right knee in 2014.  Torn ACL and meniscus on left knee in 2015.  It was also reported that he needed shoulder surgery at the combine.  No question his speed is rare, but I think it is a serious question if he can physically hold up in the NFL.

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The scary thing with Ross is his injury history.  Torn meniscus and microfracture surgery on right knee in 2014.  Torn ACL and meniscus on left knee in 2015.  It was also reported that he needed shoulder surgery at the combine.  No question his speed is rare, but I think it is a serious question if he can physically hold up in the NFL.

He also sustained a minor injury running that crazy 40 at the combine.  Serious concerns about Ross being able to consistently play all 16 games.  

Once again if we draft Taco I'm breaking my TV. I didn't like he's game before the combine and dislike it even more now.  4.9 forty.  He looks soft on the field and moSt of his sacks came unblocked.  I don't like his instincts I have the Florida state game recorded and he was bad in that game. I'll take anyone other than Taco who fits the "size" department only.  

33 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Once again if we draft Taco I'm breaking my TV. I didn't like he's game before the combine and dislike it even more now.  4.9 forty.  He looks soft on the field and moSt of his sacks came unblocked.  I don't like his instincts I have the Florida state game recorded and he was bad in that game. I'll take anyone other than Taco who fits the "size" department only.  

100% with you on this one.  I'd take him at 41, but at 9 you are just asking for disappointment.  If no Thomas, Allen, or Barnett available, then my board is Hooker, then Adams, then Corey Davis.

56 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think their board is

Garrett

Thomas

Charlton

Barnett

Ross

Davis

Williams 

Charlton is no where near being a top 5 pick. If we take him, it will set us back as taking Ogbuehi did. IE we'd feel obliged to give him every chance to succeed no matter how badly he plays, so we keep compounding the error of overdrafting him.

17 hours ago, Jason said:

I wouldn't be upset with Howard, but Ross is the guy I want.  He's the one top "receiver" that brings something we don't have.  I don't see Davis or Williams bringing anything Green doesn't have.  Ross would be unique on our team.  And rare in the NFL.

The only thing about Ross is that his biggest strength is his ability to stretch the field, however I'm concerned that the offensive line won't be able to hold up long enough to throw many deep passes. I think a big bodied guy like Williams or Davis would be a better fit for this current offense.

Andy does better with bigger targets because his throws tend to sail on him at times and they high a better catch radius. 

3 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I am not as low on Charlton as you guys are but I'd rather have a receiver if Barnett is gone (and Thomas and Garrett) but I think the Bengals love big school guys with size at DE. And it's not like he didn't produce, even if it was just 1 year. 

Charlton and Dunlaps college stats are damn near identical, even though Dunlap played in more games.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/carlos-dunlap-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taco-charlton-1.html

15 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Charlton has DUI issues?

Did Dunlap have more than 1?

"DUI issues" sounds more severe than a guy having a single DUI in his life, and I just remember the one before their big championship game. Something I'm missing here?

Archived