John ross for the 9th pick

4 minutes ago, JC said:

Wouldn't a two tight end set eliminate the slot receiver from being on the field? Doesn't seem like they want Boyd to be a split end or flanker in the base offense. 

no because either one of those TE's can line up on the outside......Eifert does it all the time.

you need to look at it more as a 3 WR/1 TE set......that's essentially what it would be since Howard and Eifert are both pretty much nothing more than oversized WR's.

I'm guessing if OJ was fluid enough or as fluid as an oversized receiver, he would have played receiver at Bama. I just don't think that he solves the issue of teams running a single high safety against us. 

I think they'd be better suited taking a receiver that has experience playing on the boundary and figuring out how to utilize both Uzomah and Eifert at the same time if they want to present some matchup problems.

11 hours ago, JC said:

I'm guessing if OJ was fluid enough or as fluid as an oversized receiver, he would have played receiver at Bama. 

really? at 6'6? c'mon man.

just say you don't want another TE, don't make stuff up. 

lol

1 minute ago, CoachMinich said:

I buy him playing tight end at Bama, but if he is such a threat and matchup nightmare, why wasn't he used more in the passing game?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

have you ever paid attention to Bamas passing game?? it's god-awful.

plus it's not like that team isn't stacked with other options. 

Howard wasn't calling the plays. Alabama is an extreme run heavy offense. He did what he could in the limited opportunities he was given.

True, but between Saban and Kiffen if he was that much of a playmaker, don't you think one of them would alter the offense to feature him

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, CoachMinich said:

why is Howard the only one being talked about top 10

yes indeed, why is he being talked about as a top 10 pick?

not fluid enough, doesn't get the ball enough, shitty passing game, surrounded by top talent....yet he's still considered a top 10 pick, why do you think that is?

Howard was 3rd on his team in receiving last year. 

Alabama's top receiver, Ardarius Stewart, is a 3rd/4th round type prospect in this draft class. Stewart had more receiving touchdowns in 2016 (8) than OJ Howard had in his career (7). 

You can't pin Howard's lack of production entirely on the Bama offense. And you can't say it's just because the other receiving options are superstars, because Stewart is nothing special. 

I'm not as anti "workout warrior" as many here seem to be. But let's at least be honest here...Howard is a textbook example of a "workout warrior" who is highly regarded because of his size/speed and not his college production. And it's kind of funny to see Ross (and his 18 TDs last year) talked about as a workout warrior while Howard isn't. 

3 hours ago, happyrid said:

Howard is a textbook example of a "workout warrior" who is highly regarded because of his size/speed and not his college production.

Lol @ Howard being a "workout warrior" ....all you have to do is go watch the tape of the guy with the ball in his hands to see how far off base that is.

trust me if the guy was just a workout warrior, he wouldn't be getting looked at as a top 10 caliber pick.....and his stock has been that high since the beginning, not just since the combine. 

6 hours ago, spicoli said:

really? at 6'6? c'mon man.

just say you don't want another TE, don't make stuff up. 

lol

What does 6'6 have to do with anything? There are a lot of tall receivers in the NFL. There are a lot of tall cornerbacks and safeties now. Linebackers are getting faster every year. 

Just because he is big doesn't mean he can go down the boundaries and catch a football on the sidelines.  Is he quick enough in and out of breaks? If he could, I'm guessing that he would have been used that way in college like they used Julio Jones. I won't be mad if they select OJ Howard, I just don't think he is bringing a bunch of matchup issues. If they want to run a two tight end set, they need to have an in-line tight end and a move tight end. Tyler Eifert doesn't block well enough to be an in-line tight end and we want to use a #9 pick on a guy who is going to be running routes similar to what Jermaine Gresham ran when he was here? Probably not. I'd rather find a receiver that will force teams to run a cover two. That will open up mismatches more than watching the Bengals turn OJ Howard into an H-back until they let Eifert walk.

16 minutes ago, JC said:

What does 6'6 have to do with anything?

oops I accidentally left off the 250lb part lol.....I was in a hurry.

there are many factors as to why Howard wasn't used in ways that would enhance his production.....too many to get into actually.

all I can tell ya is to sit down and spend some time watching his tape.....there is a legitimate reason that he's being projected as a top 10 pick and I can promise ya that it has nothing to do with his ability to block.

this isn't that hard to figure out.....Eifert and Howard are interchangeable going inside and out and either one are capable of playing on the boundary or in the slot and beating one on one coverage, whether it's from a S, CB or LB.....I get that Boyd is the slot WR but he doesn't have to be on the field for every snap.....just like Eifert and Howard don't have to be in the traditional TE role for every snap.....they're ALL moving pieces, creating mismatches on any given play is the name of the game in todays NFL.....and Howard and Eifert are HUGE mismatches no matter where you line them up at.

10 hours ago, spicoli said:

Lol @ Howard being a "workout warrior" ....all you have to do is go watch the tape of the guy with the ball in his hands to see how far off base that is.

trust me if the guy was just a workout warrior, he wouldn't be getting looked at as a top 10 caliber pick.....and his stock has been that high since the beginning, not just since the combine. 

It's been known he's a physical freak for a long time. Since high school. That has nothing to do with the combine. 

He wasn't anywhere near a dominant player in college though. Even if he had a handful of impressive plays. 

Archived