Taco Charlton at 9 ?

Saw Rob Rang's latest mock (I think he's one of the better experts out there) and he has this kid mocked to us at number 9. Been researching and Charlton seems ALOT like Carlos Dunlap. Also the Michigan D-line coach who coaches Charlton was the same guy who coached Dunlap at Florida. Charlton is also a local kid from Columbus, Ohio. He also fits the dimensions of a typical Bengals DE, at 6-6 277 lbs.

Many people are saying he's more of a late first guy. Someone give me some low down on this guy. I'm intrigued!

He does seem to fit the Bengals "mold".  He could be a good player.  But I see him as a 20s guy, not a 9 guy.  And the Bengals don't reach for need anymore.  I get the impression the Bengals want more speed off the edge, and that's not really Taco, 4.92 at the combine, although I think his pro day time was better.

I don't dislike him, I just think there will be several better players available at 9.

30 minutes ago, SocalBengalEd said:

I hate this pick.    Taco reminds me of Michael Johnson not Dunlap.  Go watch his very last game against Michigan.  He was flat out terrible.  Looks lost n soft as he'll.  Pass

The FSU or OSU game? I know you obviously didn't mean to say Michigan but wasn't sure if you were talking about the bowl game or not.

Sorry I meant to say Florida St.  It's in you tube.  Go watch it.  I don't like him at all as a player.    His first 3 years he did absolutely nothing at Michigan.  In comparison,  Derek Barnett piled up 35 sacks n made all American teams.  He didn't even need his senior year to add to his record.  

9 hours ago, EnglishBengal said:

Saw Rob Rang's latest mock (I think he's one of the better experts out there) and he has this kid mocked to us at number 9. Been researching and Charlton seems ALOT like Carlos Dunlap. Also the Michigan D-line coach who coaches Charlton was the same guy who coached Dunlap at Florida. Charlton is also a local kid from Columbus, Ohio. He also fits the dimensions of a typical Bengals DE, at 6-6 277 lbs.

Many people are saying he's more of a late first guy. Someone give me some low down on this guy. I'm intrigued!

His college stats are plenty close to Dunlaps as are his measurables. He seems to fit the criteria for how the Bengals like their DE's. He's a first round pick, just depends on where teams have him ranked on their board. He's currently the 4th or 5th best DE in the draft, after Garrett, Barnett, Thomas, and maybe Watt.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Bengals drafted him at #9, but like others have said I would think it's a bit high. I would prefer Derek Barnett if they go DE at #9. 

many mocks show Barnette going to the Panthers at #9....so I thought we might pick Taco at #9....

but I doubt it now....

a safer pick & probably more bang for our #9 buck would be O.J. Howard.....I think he's going to be better than Eifert, & way better than Gresham ever was.....

am somewhat afraid if we don't draft Howard the browns or Ravens will......more likely the browns.....

16 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

His college stats are plenty close to Dunlaps as are his measurables. He seems to fit the criteria for how the Bengals like their DE's. He's a first round pick, just depends on where teams have him ranked on their board. He's currently the 4th or 5th best DE in the draft, after Garrett, Barnett, Thomas, and maybe Watt.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Bengals drafted him at #9, but like others have said I would think it's a bit high. I would prefer Derek Barnett if they go DE at #9. 

Two things on this:

1. None of those big, long Bengals DEs were taken in the 1st round.

2. Seems like it would be more accurate to say that how the Bengals "liked" their DEs in the past. They've implied pretty heavily that they don't feel that way anymore. Tobin mentioned the changing nature of the game with more spread offenses, etc. when talking about how what they're looking for at DE has evolved. They keep talking about upgrading their speed up front. I think they know they need a speed rusher off the edge to mix in with the bigger DEs already on the roster.

Taco is one of many guys that I think I'd be fine with if we picked toward the end of the round, but if Barnett is gone by #9 that means that there are some of the top guys at other positions available that we are assuming would be off the board. In that case, you just take one of those guys instead of a pass rusher.

On 29/03/2017 at 11:29 PM, pucksinwah said:

many mocks show Barnette going to the Panthers at #9....so I thought we might pick Taco at #9....

but I doubt it now....

a safer pick & probably more bang for our #9 buck would be O.J. Howard.....I think he's going to be better than Eifert, & way better than Gresham ever was.....

am somewhat afraid if we don't draft Howard the browns or Ravens will......more likely the browns.....

This would be my pick, given Eifert's injury struggles and the offense's short field/red zone issues. If both of them hit the field together then it would be nice bonus.

Archived