Poll for Bengals fans who live outside of Cincinnati

What if the Bengals move??? Please do not answer if you live in Cincy  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bengals left Cincinnati, and kept the name and colors, would you stay a Bengals fan?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If they moved closer to where you live?

• Yes
    • No

I live in Connecticut, but I am from Cincinnati and proud to be so. Anyway, if the Bengals relocated to another city I would probably not even follow the NFL any longer.... UNLESS they moved to a close by city like broke ass Hartford. Yah, I'd be a season ticket holder in that case. Any place else... thank goodness Buckeye football is on every week up here.

Columbus Bengals...lol

Honestly.... i would be so pissed I would have to give it some time..and then still root for the Bengals

I don't think I could really give my total allegiance to another team... i alway liked the Raiders...so maybe I could root for the Vegas Raiders...

I voted yes on both...

Every time the NFL allows a spate of franchise moves, this "move the Bengals" stuff comes up. I have seen their name be bandied about loosely along with Jax--the next conceivable team to bolt. 

The Bengals make a very good living in Cincinnati, as good or better than what is left of the markets around. Not only financially are they set here, but there is not the slightest chance in creation that Mike Brown would betray his father's name by leaving the only real place he has ever known. And that goes for the entire Brown family.

But to play the game: yes on both questions. Although Columbus would never have the balls to attempt and get an NFL franchise. 

I would still be a fan. I have never lived in Cincinnati, and never set foot there either. I live in Sac, CA so I only attended the Bengals against Raiders (not any more) and the 49er games against the Bengals. 

It would suck if Cincinnati lost the Bengals though. I went through the whole Sac Kings debacle a few years ago and it sucked constantly being trolled by Seattle Supersonic fans saying they're going to get the Sonics back. I had the last laugh, but got banned from their forum after my celebratory post. 

6 hours ago, Elflocko said:

I couldn't give a definitive yes or no answer. I'm having a hard enough time watching the NFL as it is these days; the Bengals ending up in St. Louis would likely be a deal breaker... 

That's more or less my answer. I've said it before but every other major pro sport has had their gambling scandal that resulted in better oversight and a general "cleaning up".  The NFL has not.  So either you believe the NFL does not and has never had a problem with corruption, or (and the facts back this up IMO) it was designed as corrupt from the beginning.  Believe what you will, but I'm sure as hell not going to throw even more money at them for Sunday Ticket if they moved out of the local TV market.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Hell, no.  I grew up going to the games in Cincinnati.  If they left it would free me from the curse of loving this team.

I'm not going to try and change your mind, but I will never understand this Stockholm Syndrome-like approach to NFL fandom.  You aren't "cursed", you can free yourself as easily as picking up the remote.  If you're that gung-ho with loyalty to the city and the Bengals are so painful to you, there are 1,000 other things you could be doing that would actually benefit the community in some real way, and/or yourself. We're just passively watching a television for a few hours once a week.  This Terminal Fan stuff is so over-the-top melodramatic, IDK what to make of it.  Sounds to me like  a colossal waste of time and a drag on fans that actually like the team.  Again, I know I'm not going to change it, but damned if I can make any sense of it or have any sympathy at all for it.

I don't see how it would change much of anything for me. I watch the games on TV/phone/tablet now anyway and would do the same whether they played 2,000 miles away or a block from my house.

If you're a Bengals fan outside of the area, why would this affect you? I guess I just don't get it. How would them going to a different city change anything if you don't live there?

16 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

I live in Connecticut, but I am from Cincinnati and proud to be so. Anyway, if the Bengals relocated to another city I would probably not even follow the NFL any longer.... UNLESS they moved to a close by city like broke ass Hartford. Yah, I'd be a season ticket holder in that case. Any place else... thank goodness Buckeye football is on every week up here.

This is pretty close to how I feel as well. The first Pittsburgh game with all the non-holding calls opened my eyes to how tilted the league really is.

I'm not the fan today that I was before that game...

41 minutes ago, Enon Bengal said:

This is pretty close to how I feel as well. The first Pittsburgh game with all the non-holding calls opened my eyes to how tilted the league really is.

I'm not the fan today that I was before that game...

For me it was the non-calls in the playoff game and the subsequent "Sweep it under the rug" rollback of the penalties and fines for the stealers after the fact... 

I would stay a fan if they moved to Columbus (I live in Lancaster).  However, if they moved farther away, it would be the final blow to me being a NFL observer instead of Bengals fan.  Keeping Lewis, the years of wanting to be good instead of great, and this entire GD pacman sitch, has really pushed me away  as it sits today.  Moving farther away would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

4 hours ago, Elflocko said:

For me it was the non-calls in the playoff game and the subsequent "Sweep it under the rug" rollback of the penalties and fines for the stealers after the fact... 

That was bad enough, but then the season rolls around and

1. They schedule the first Shitsburgh game during Burfict's suspension

2. They give Shitsburgh the same ref crew from the WC game

3. We have 3 total home games through Week 10 of the season

So I see all that, and as much as I want the team to do well it's hard to get that fired up about it when their own league is setting them up for failure. Let them find another mark.

And yet there are still Bengals fans who refuse to even consider the possibility of NFL bias..  And people bet real money on this shit, too!

On 3/31/2017 at 3:59 AM, T-Dub said:

That's more or less my answer. I've said it before but every other major pro sport has had their gambling scandal that resulted in better oversight and a general "cleaning up".  The NFL has not.  So either you believe the NFL does not and has never had a problem with corruption, or (and the facts back this up IMO) it was designed as corrupt from the beginning.  Believe what you will, but I'm sure as hell not going to throw even more money at them for Sunday Ticket if they moved out of the local TV market.

I'm not going to try and change your mind, but I will never understand this Stockholm Syndrome-like approach to NFL fandom.  You aren't "cursed", you can free yourself as easily as picking up the remote.  If you're that gung-ho with loyalty to the city and the Bengals are so painful to you, there are 1,000 other things you could be doing that would actually benefit the community in some real way, and/or yourself. We're just passively watching a television for a few hours once a week.  This Terminal Fan stuff is so over-the-top melodramatic, IDK what to make of it.  Sounds to me like  a colossal waste of time and a drag on fans that actually like the team.  Again, I know I'm not going to change it, but damned if I can make any sense of it or have any sympathy at all for it.

youll never understand growing up a fan of a team?, spending your childhood with that being the only team to really root for?, as most of us here are old enough to have only gotten local games maybe 1 other, its the only football you had access too. and it was the local team, that same fandom instilled in all school sports your entire life, you root for your middle school team, your own high school team, your college team, and your local pro team.. kids today are way different. but if you are over 30-35... you didnt have endless options, just your local team.

this is the same thing that keeps people putting up with shit family members, just because someone is blood relative doesnt mean they are a good person, or that you have to like them, OR that you ever have to see them ever again... but 99% of people will still treat shitty human being relatives as family..

everyone here likes football more than some schmuck who will pick a new favorite team each year to root for, they enjoy football to the extent of the deep roster the draft the coaching staff, etc. and with the previous mindset instilled from early childhood "as easy as picking up the remote" is pretty ridiculous..

you root for the home team, the home team lost and was terrible, a lot, this made you sad... this isnt rocket science.. thats the "curse".. its not stockholm syndrom.. its liking the local team since you were a kid and they were bad and that sucked... jesus... seriously? 

:YouDontSay-min:

14 hours ago, GoBengals said:

youll never understand growing up a fan of a team?, spending your childhood with that being the only team to really root for?, as most of us here are old enough to have only gotten local games maybe 1 other, its the only football you had access too. and it was the local team, that same fandom instilled in all school sports your entire life, you root for your middle school team, your own high school team, your college team, and your local pro team.. kids today are way different. but if you are over 30-35... you didnt have endless options, just your local team.

this is the same thing that keeps people putting up with shit family members, just because someone is blood relative doesnt mean they are a good person, or that you have to like them, OR that you ever have to see them ever again... but 99% of people will still treat shitty human being relatives as family..

everyone here likes football more than some schmuck who will pick a new favorite team each year to root for, they enjoy football to the extent of the deep roster the draft the coaching staff, etc. and with the previous mindset instilled from early childhood "as easy as picking up the remote" is pretty ridiculous..

you root for the home team, the home team lost and was terrible, a lot, this made you sad... this isnt rocket science.. thats the "curse".. its not stockholm syndrom.. its liking the local team since you were a kid and they were bad and that sucked... jesus... seriously? 

:YouDontSay-min:

Yeah I get all that, but the thing is.. it's not a family member, not by a long shot.  It's a business, and like any other business if you think the product sucks and they treat you their customer like shit, why are you still supporting the business?  Better yet, why would you waste your time hanging around fans of the business trying to browbeat them?  Do you hang around in front of Gold Star haranguing people about how much better the Patriots Skyline is?

the previous mindset instilled from early childhood "as easy as picking up the remote" is pretty ridiculous..

See, I think acting like you have some deep, spiritual attachment to an NFL franchise is pretty ridiculous.  It's entertainment.  Sure, I'll yell at the TV when they play like shit and even get on here and let loose some angry rant..  If that happened every week and I had no hope of it changing, I wouldn't subject myself to it.  Why would you? Because you grew up in Cincinnati, a city you appear to loathe anyway? No, I don't understand that and - all due respect as this is ultimately your forum - I don't think it's unreasonable for other fans to get tired of all that negativity.

Or barring that, point out that it sounds an awful lot like pointless whining when it turns into a chorus, even if we accept it's not likely to change.

If the Brown family trust sells the team the new owners might move them away but I don't see Mikey getting any better deal somewhere else than he gets here.  Him and the other Brown family members get paid a healthy salary plus millions as the owners with very little spending of their own money.  It is hard for me to imagine that Mike and family would be willing to pay hundreds of millions of their own money for their own stadium and considering his reputation of being cheap and not interested in putting a winner on the field I am not sure any general public would be interested in funding a Mike Brown team without him giving up a large portion of control.  And how likely is that to happen?

Archived