Poll for Bengals fans who live outside of Cincinnati

What if the Bengals move??? Please do not answer if you live in Cincy  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bengals left Cincinnati, and kept the name and colors, would you stay a Bengals fan?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If they moved closer to where you live?

• Yes
    • No

On 4/3/2017 at 1:42 AM, GoBengals said:

youll never understand growing up a fan of a team?, spending your childhood with that being the only team to really root for?, as most of us here are old enough to have only gotten local games maybe 1 other, its the only football you had access too. and it was the local team, that same fandom instilled in all school sports your entire life, you root for your middle school team, your own high school team, your college team, and your local pro team.. kids today are way different. but if you are over 30-35... you didnt have endless options, just your local team.

this is the same thing that keeps people putting up with shit family members, just because someone is blood relative doesnt mean they are a good person, or that you have to like them, OR that you ever have to see them ever again... but 99% of people will still treat shitty human being relatives as family..

everyone here likes football more than some schmuck who will pick a new favorite team each year to root for, they enjoy football to the extent of the deep roster the draft the coaching staff, etc. and with the previous mindset instilled from early childhood "as easy as picking up the remote" is pretty ridiculous..

you root for the home team, the home team lost and was terrible, a lot, this made you sad... this isnt rocket science.. thats the "curse".. its not stockholm syndrom.. its liking the local team since you were a kid and they were bad and that sucked... jesus... seriously? 

:YouDontSay-min:

You know, during the dark ages, I gave up on the Gals many a time. Decided to root for the Chargers. (My 4:00 team)

Dammit if everytime I saw the score ticker say the Bengals were up by 7 on the Stealers I didn't switch over.

I just gotten comfortable with the fact that the Bengals are my team, and unless I stop watching Football entirely, I'm always going to hope that a blind Mike Brown is going to find a nut.

On 3/31/2017 at 5:59 AM, T-Dub said:

I'm not going to try and change your mind, but I will never understand this Stockholm Syndrome-like approach to NFL fandom.  You aren't "cursed", you can free yourself as easily as picking up the remote.  If you're that gung-ho with loyalty to the city and the Bengals are so painful to you, there are 1,000 other things you could be doing that would actually benefit the community in some real way, and/or yourself. We're just passively watching a television for a few hours once a week.  This Terminal Fan stuff is so over-the-top melodramatic, IDK what to make of it.  Sounds to me like  a colossal waste of time and a drag on fans that actually like the team.  Again, I know I'm not going to change it, but damned if I can make any sense of it or have any sympathy at all for it.

I'm a fan of Cincinnati teams.  I grew up with them and I will root for them.  If they move, they aren't a Cincinnati team anymore.  Yes, the Bengals have been more than frustrating through my nearly 50 years of fandom.  So, since I used the word "cursed" in a cynical way I get treated to a heap of armchair psychology.  In no way was I looking for your validation or advice.  I was just answering a question.  Since we are spewing out armchair psychology I'll give you my less than professional read on you....you're being an passive-aggressive asshole.

On 3/30/2017 at 7:21 PM, BengalBuck said:

I live in Connecticut, but I am from Cincinnati and proud to be so. Anyway, if the Bengals relocated to another city I would probably not even follow the NFL any longer.... UNLESS they moved to a close by city like broke ass Hartford. Yah, I'd be a season ticket holder in that case. Any place else... thank goodness Buckeye football is on every week up here.

I think this is where I am. After witnessing a obvious bias for certain teams, and how the league and the networks do everything to keep these teams in their good graces... I have grown kinda blah towards every team except my Bengals (born and raised in Cincy, lives in Houston now)

I will always be Bengals fan, I am 39 years old from Chicago and when I was kid my favorite animal is Tiger. and one day I saw Bengals on tv I suddenly become fan of that team for life.

you need add poll for people who live in Cincinnati. Will you still be fan of team if they change name to Cincinnati Flamingo and uniform is mostly pink?

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm a fan of Cincinnati teams.  I grew up with them and I will root for them.  If they move, they aren't a Cincinnati team anymore.  Yes, the Bengals have been more than frustrating through my nearly 50 years of fandom.  So, since I used the word "cursed" in a cynical way I get treated to a heap of armchair psychology.  In no way was I looking for your validation or advice.  I was just answering a question.  Since we are spewing out armchair psychology I'll give you my less than professional read on you....you're being an passive-aggressive asshole.

Way to overreact with the name-calling!  You sound triggered.

3 hours ago, dimster said:

I will always be Bengals fan, I am 39 years old from Chicago and when I was kid my favorite animal is Tiger. and one day I saw Bengals on tv I suddenly become fan of that team for life.

you need add poll for people who live in Cincinnati. Will you still be fan of team if they change name to Cincinnati Flamingo and uniform is mostly pink?

From Los Angeles here but basically that's how I became a Bengals fan, errr...junkie. It's cool when I meet random Bengal fans out here just because they or I have some gear on so that part would definitely be missed. I'm an not looking forwards to having Chargers fans up here. 

I'd like to believe that I am as big of a Bengals fan as humanly possible ... have pics of me coming home after being born in a Bengals onesie in 1982. And have been a loyal Bengal fan my entire life, as is nearly all of my family (parents and grandparents etc all are from Cincinnati although I was not born there). 

But even though I don't reside in Cincinnati, (though I have attended about 15 games at PBS in my life) - if they left I would be very upset and it would probably kill the love I have for the team. To me it is a packaged deal, the team, colors, helmet, and city all go together. Yes they are symbolic, but symbols matter, and that's what you're essentially cheering for when you root for a team, unless you personally know the players. 

One of the positives of having the Brown family is that it makes it very unlikely they ever would leave Cincinnati, rather than if the team was purchased by some zioliionairre fuckwad from Dubai who wouldn't give a shit. Yes they can be loyal to a fault, but that 'old school' loyalty also has advantages. 

If the Bengals left Cincy, I'd probably just give up on the NFL altogether, and a big part of the little joy I do get in this awful shit-filled life, while spinning around on this rock in outer space would be lost. So they better not ever try (desperate people do crazy things). lol

On 4/5/2017 at 6:21 AM, High School Harry said:

Seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Well..  It is the off-season.

I tend to notice it more from the "good ol' boys club" around here shit talking newer members that they deem too "negative" for their liking, but that's just me I guess and I'm probably an asshole for noticing.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

I tend to notice it more from the "good ol' boys club" around here shit talking newer members that they deem too "negative" for their liking, but that's just me I guess and I'm probably an asshole for noticing.

Nah, you got it all wrong.  I'm as negative as the next guy.  Heck, if you read the thread you would see how the original personal attack was related to my negativity.  Sure, the attack was carefully worded examining my supposed flawed thought process.  A process so flawed it effected his enjoyment of Bengal fandom.  I'm not much for personal attacks unless it is in response to one.  I am old school in this way though.  I say what I think and sometimes use naughty words.  

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

If there is such a thing as the "GOBC" around, they could be described as even more negative than the rank and file. 

47 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Nah, you got it all wrong.  I'm as negative as the next guy.  Heck, if you read the thread you would see how the original personal attack was related to my negativity.  Sure, the attack was carefully worded examining my supposed flawed thought process.  A process so flawed it effected his enjoyment of Bengal fandom.  I'm not much for personal attacks unless it is in response to one.  I am old school in this way though.  I say what I think and sometimes use naughty words.  

Wasn't talking about you my man.

I personally don't see any issue with fighting fire with fire, it's clear that you didn't fire the first blow in that exchange. Some people try to veil their insults and think it's taking the high road, but it's really not to anyone that can read at a 2nd grade level. The constant attacks on "HOW TO BE A PROPER FAN" gets old on any Bengals board I've ever been on.

8 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

If there is such a thing as the "GOBC" around, they could be described as even more negative than the rank and file. 

It's strange because I've noticed that myself, except a lot of them are "negative" in certain ways yet bash other posters they deem negative for...being negative. But they have issues with the FO and management and certain players themselves, they just write the book on "how to be a fan" and believe everyone should be that same type of fan.

I'm just glad that not everybody has the exact same feelings and views because then we wouldn't have boards like this at all.

9 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Seems to me most of the ongoing feuds around here are between long-time members?

Other than that, it's not the negativity I find amusing so much as the notion that being a fan of a particular football team is akin to a terminal disease they have no control over.  They don't seem to be having much fun with it.  The attitude of "they'll just disappoint me again" is bizarre to me.  If you feel like that about something that is supposed to be entertainment I would think the options are to either lower your expectations or find something else to do that's more enjoyable. 

And while we're all just "saying what we think", if any of that struck you as a "veiled insult" you need to go get your diaper changed.  Find something to identify with that actually matters.

9 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I'm going to post 15 THOUSAND times on a message board so I can identify with something that "matters".

Took me ~12 years to get there but at the rate you're going..  Few tips, though:

• Most people prefer pie fights to pie charts.  Berating them about being "illogical" makes you sound more like Dr Spock. Try mixing in a little humor now and then. You're not cross-examining a witness. Nobody wants to decipher a misaligned table of questionable stats.
  • Get in the game day threads once the season starts.  You can easily hit 20-30 posts in there over the course of the game.  At least 3-4 just posting "GOD DAMN IT ADAM/CED/ANDY!"  at opportune moments.
  • More stupid reaction gif memes and one-liners. This isn't an essay contest.
  • Don't play the "victimized outsider" card too often. Nobody cares and it makes you sound like a dweeb.
  • Check out the other subforums, where people do talk about shit that actually matters, like eggs.
  • If you can't think of anything to post, you can always make fun of Jamie_B's spelling

All that being said, I definitely care more about many of the weirdos on here and this dysfunctional community in general than I do some billionaire's plaything NFL franchise. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Took me ~12 years to get there but at the rate you're going..  Few tips, though:

• Most people prefer pie fights to pie charts.  Berating them about being "illogical" makes you sound more like Dr Spock. Try mixing in a little humor now and then. You're not cross-examining a witness. Nobody wants to decipher a misaligned table of questionable stats.
  • Get in the game day threads once the season starts.  You can easily hit 20-30 posts in there over the course of the game.  At least 3-4 just posting "GOD DAMN IT ADAM/CED/ANDY!"  at opportune moments.
  • Don't play the "victimized outsider" card too often. Nobody cares and it makes you sound like a dweeb.
  • Check out the other subforums, where people do talk about shit that actually matters, like eggs.
  • If you can't think of anything to post, you can always make fun of Jamie_B's spelling

All that being said, I definitely care more about many of the weirdos on here and this dysfunctional community in general than I do some billionaire's plaything NFL franchise. 

:laugh:

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It's cool man. I just find it weird that some people, including you, make comments about people taking things too seriously, being a certain kind of fan, or whatever else while doing those same things yourself.

You seem to be way on the negative side of the fence when it comes to the piano man, yet get bent out of shape when other people are the same way with other coaches/players/whoever that are generally just as deserving.

You admit to being invested in this board and spending a lot of time here, yet I've seen you accuse others of "taking things too seriously" more than once. I know it's not an exact contradiction, but again, just seems...."off" to me.

You write paragraphs detailing how someone isn't being a fan the way you like them to be/think they should be, but then get upset when they throw a more blatant jab back at you. I don't think it makes either of us above those kind of people just because we tend to write a lot and put things a lot more eloquently than "you're a cocksucker".

Like I said, it's cool, not everyone is going to feel the same way about everything and I know we aren't going to see eye to eye on a lot of things around here. Those are a few of the specific reasons I've said some of the things I've said to you lately though, just in case some tiny part of you (not a dick joke) happens to care.

:thumbsup:

Archived